Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Super elite status addiction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by yyznomad
When the concierge comes though, just once, in a way that you will be thankful for a very long time, is when you realize ok, maybe SE is worth it when it really, really matters. (and no, I'm not always seated in J)
Yes, yes and yes!!!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
When the concierge comes though, just once, in a way that you will be thankful for a very long time, is when you realize ok, maybe SE is worth it when it really, really matters. (and no, I'm not always seated in J)
I believe Op's point is that it really isn't worth the 100K s/he would have to pay out of pocket to maintain lifetime SE. I'm guessing that the majority of people don't get there prior to retiring.
dmw1954 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Plumber
Yes, yes and yes!!!
UA screwed me over, so the concierge bought me a one way full-fare ticket RDU IAD YYZ roughly 13 years ago so that I could get to a wedding on time (I was accompanying for the singer). The amount of stress and relief that I was feeling before and after was indescribable.

I got to the wedding just in time to sit down and play, like a Mission: Impossible movie.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I believe Op's point is that it really isn't worth the 100K s/he would have to pay out of pocket to maintain lifetime SE. I'm guessing that the majority of people don't get there prior to retiring.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
UA screwed me over, so the concierge bought me a one way full-fare ticket RDU IAD YYZ roughly 13 years ago so that I could get to a wedding on time (I was accompanying for the singer). The amount of stress and relief that I was feeling before and after was indescribable.

I got to the wedding just in time to sit down and play, like a Mission: Impossible movie.
Not sure if the concierge in todays scenario would buy you that ticket.
You have many talents - playing a instrument ? I thought you only played the fool :-)
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vernonc
Not sure if the concierge in todays scenario would buy you that ticket.
You're probably correct, but my point was, something was done for me that was unexpected and that I was absolutely grateful for.

Originally Posted by vernonc
You have many talents - playing a instrument ? I thought you only played the fool :-)
I am nowhere near (read: 1/1,000,000,000,000,000,000th) the prodigious skill and talent level of our famous @jlisi984, but I did graduate from the same institution and discipline as him! I was wise enough to choose a different career path, however.
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SE addiction is not all that it is cracked up to be.
dmw1954 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
This thread is peculiar.

It's almost as if the addicts want to show the drug dealers how hooked they are "on the good stuff".

Is that a good idea?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
This thread is peculiar.

It's almost as if the addicts want to show the drug dealers how hooked they are "on the good stuff".

Is that a good idea?
I agree.

It almost makes me angry.

Super angry.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I agree.

Super angry.
Ok, but does being Super Elite at least make your feet happy since they get to rest in J all the time?
canadiancow and canopus27 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:39 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Maybe I will suffer withdrawal symptoms--have been SE in every year since 1998 but first two flights this year are on non-AC flights (UA and DL). Perhaps this is the year everything changes!
canolakid likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
For me as soon as AQD were in, I was out.

I had SE for 2 years and work was the majority of my flying, but now I'm all leisure and while I still maintain star gold, it just doesn't come from AC. Not only the AQD, but having to get those AQD from 014 tickets was never gonna work for me. I'd never spend $20,000 a year on travel, but even the lower AQD levels I'd never get to because I can't/won't ALWAYS fly AC and sometimes buying a ticket from the AC site is downright stupid when you see what that ticket costs elsewhere.

I wouldn't say I'm addictive, I love having status, and I notice it more when I'm flying without it (have an AA trip coming up, luckily none of the connections are super long) but ultimately my pocket book will always win. I wonder how this will go as the programs get more and more degraded though.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I agree.

Super angry.

Angry like a penguin?
dmw1954 and YYC traveler like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Super Elite is bunk! E75 and E50 and *G is bunk! Everyone, relinquish your useless status! Oh wait... since you have it isn't bunk.

But if you don't have it, therefore it's bunk.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
My wife appears to be addicted to a SE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.