Wiki Posts
Search

Super elite status addiction

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Jack Jia
Immense future growth opportunity lol?
Talk about job security.
diversify, reinvent it. look at how well those ff bloggers are doing.... show rich andor frequent flyers who have better things to do than flyertalk how to maximize points earning with travel
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by epiphani
Become a travel agent?
That's what I did!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Hello again
There used to be a guy named Mark Tacchi here who flew AC for 30 straight days on some special promo to get an incredible number of AE miles plus some other perk I don't remember.
Certainly got him well on his way to Million Mile status in a hurry.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:30 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YVRorange
That's what I did!
I'm very curious now - you're still able to maintain SE status as a TA? I'd love to look into that
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
great post. Obviously you are aware travel agents have been losing their jobs since travelocity was launched. Some 20 years ago now. 20 years.
Yet a coworker of mine opened a travel agency about 7 years ago and has been doing very well. You'd be surprised how many people still use them for package vacations, cruises and the like. Some people need a lot of hand holding and they think travel agents provide that (I don't but that's a separate topic)
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100k, AS MVP Gold, National EE, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I'll be losing my SE status as the time in the air just wasn't working with my lifestyle anymore.

I work primaily with corporate travellers and it's an easy conversation as I lived that life for many years! If anyone needs help with tricky mileage runs or EYW marathon bookings let me know!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 2MM, ALT 75 k
Addiction to SE not worth cost

I will hit 2 MM on Sunday Jan 21 on way back form HKG. Will not continue to pursue SE status, 75 K elite for life will be my new norm.
Delighted that I can gift 50 K elite status for life to one son and as long as it lasts 35 K elite status annually to other son.
Will miss IKK, Concierge, virtually always getting upgraded.
Will not miss fatigue and stiffness that comes with logging 100 K AQM.
Will not miss disappointment to erosion of SE benefits (I know I am "old" as I remember getting 2 free business class rewards anywhere with any Star Alliance partner for hitting 75 K and comp upgrades to & from HKG when 763 was aircraft)

Overall it was worth it to hit 2MM but not worth it to me to hang in there for 3MM to get SE for life.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by dmw1954
I will hit 2 MM on Sunday Jan 21 on way back form HKG. Will not continue to pursue SE status, 75 K elite for life will be my new norm.
Delighted that I can gift 50 K elite status for life to one son and as long as it lasts 35 K elite status annually to other son.
Will miss IKK, Concierge, virtually always getting upgraded.
Will not miss fatigue and stiffness that comes with logging 100 K AQM.
Will not miss disappointment to erosion of SE benefits (I know I am "old" as I remember getting 2 free business class rewards anywhere with any Star Alliance partner for hitting 75 K and comp upgrades to & from HKG when 763 was aircraft)

Overall it was worth it to hit 2MM but not worth it to me to hang in there for 3MM to get SE for life.
Whhhaaattt? Only 1MM more to go-- you're almost there!!
quantumofforce likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Will not continue to pursue SE status, 75 K elite for life will be my new norm.
What does that mean? No more MR's in December, or you will take a whole years of what must be considerable flying business elsewhere? Do you have top tier status with other airlines?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:59 am
Original Poster

to Plumber: with astute MR (CCM & comfort factor) on Premium economy outbound & upgrade to Bus on return) would cost $122,000 on 47 flights YOW-HKG over how many years to accomplish last MM, Flex would would take 58 flights & cost $100,000 + but would be brutal. would have to win lottery & then fly bus to see the world. Mileage runs to HKG used to be great when upgradable YOW-HKG was $1,100 and comp bus upgrade 60% of time - not today's reality. I have no status with other airlines once AQM came into effect.

to RangerNS: I probably did 25 MR YOW- HKG in last 10 years. my profile has shifted over 30 years from road warrior consultant to executive & executive team coach which can be done remotely once you connect with client. more importantly I can drive to see grand kids. will likely spend $6k - $8k on air travel annually- 8 leg sun flight pass plus for winter and 1 or 2 long haul which will be best bus deal. Several friends are getting reasonable redemption for credit card rotations generating 150K in bonuses as they rotate for 200K -250K miles annually w/o AQM.

to all: if star alliance was the AQM base I would be 3.5 MM right now - more than a 1 MM in 90's on other airlines but that is not reality.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:11 am

to RangerNS: I probably did 25 MR YOW- HKG in last 10 years. my profile has shifted over 30 years from road warrior consultant to executive & executive team coach which can be done remotely once you connect with client. more importantly I can drive to see grand kids. will likely spend $6k - $8k on air travel annually- 8 leg sun flight pass plus for winter and 1 or 2 long haul which will be best bus deal. Several friends are getting reasonable redemption for credit card rotations generating 150K in bonuses as they rotate for 200K -250K miles annually w/o AQM.
I'm not sure how many of my addictions are addictions, I've never been faced with them being taken away.

If you are today only doing 10 flights a year, I humbly submit then that you neither need the benefits of (or rationally deserve) SE status.

One extra RT (even what I'd consider excessive, TPAC or whatever) to keep status could be considered fun and beneficial, but $30k of real cash and weeks of work is, per the threads title, an addiction, not rational.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Ranger: Interesting choice of framing about "deserving FF benefits" - probably not my perspective. My last spend for SE was 23K in 2016 with 60-40 bus rec split, often was able to achieve SE for $6K to $8k per year five or six times- clearly what was referred to as "bottom feeder" and spent $50k -$100K per year in 1990's when clients would pay for first class airfare to Australia.

I had a good run, don't actually feel addicted just saying good bye to SE.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:28 am

Oh, @dmw, I'm sure you during the years you did that flying were fully deserving of the benefits. And today, fully deserving of the 2MM/75k benefits.

If you are only doing 10 flights a year now, enjoy the benefits you've gotten and deserve from a lifetime of flying.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
When the concierge comes though, just once, in a way that you will be thankful for a very long time, is when you realize ok, maybe SE is worth it when it really, really matters. (and no, I'm not always seated in J)
Plumber likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
to Plumber: with astute MR (CCM & comfort factor) on Premium economy outbound & upgrade to Bus on return) would cost $122,000 on 47 flights YOW-HKG over how many years to accomplish last MM, Flex would would take 58 flights & cost $100,000 + but would be brutal.
Totally understand!
I am probably 25-30 of those flights away from 3MM- and still flying for work and personal.

Just did my first ever MR in Dec (not to reach status, but take advantage of 3X AP miles and cross a bonus threshold).

Enjoy the benefits you have accrued!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.