Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
What is the rationale for cancelling options - do the airlines have to put down a small deposit on their optinos that they get back as part of the agreement to cancel or does the airframer not want too many low-priced options sitting around out there that an airline can exercise or sell off to another airline?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by The Lev
What is the rationale for cancelling options - do the airlines have to put down a small deposit on their optinos that they get back as part of the agreement to cancel or does the airframer not want too many low-priced options sitting around out there that an airline can exercise or sell off to another airline?
I can't imagine anyone selling an option which is refundable (that would be a deposit). But also there is no reason to cancel a benefit it isn't a future cost, so I further assume these options were time limited, or had an annual renewal fee or something.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I can't imagine anyone selling an option which is refundable (that would be a deposit). But also there is no reason to cancel a benefit it isn't a future cost, so I further assume these options were time limited, or had an annual renewal fee or something.
Just a guess but I feel like Boeing had given AC such bare bottom pricing to lure them over in 2013-14, prices that even in Covid era are low. So I'd assume as part of negotiating and allowing 10 more firm orders to be cancelled, that they said that AC loses the low priced options and rights.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:52 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Please note that this is the CSeries/A220 thread. Further discussion of the 737 options and orders should take place in the 737 thread.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Nov 13, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Airplane options are not like any option anyone here has had exposure to or experience with.

In almost all cases, options are for specific slots, as the slot time nears the operator has to either take the option or cancel the option and walk away. In some cases it's an all or noting deal, as in one option is canceled, then all options are canceled, or some may be converted to purchase rights.

In any case, airplane options are unique and are almost always OEM/Operator specific, which means no two operators will have the same type of options as another operator. Just as each operator pays a different price for aircraft acquisition.

Options and purchase rights are not the same thing either, although purchase rights are more flexible for the operator, but usually have a longer lead time for delivery.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
What negatives are you hearing?

I can't help but think a 223 would be a dream compared with a MAX - and those will be the mainstays of the narrowbody fleet for the next 20 years.
Maybe you have no issue working next to and sitting next to a poop closet, many FA's on the other hand do not like working next (and especially sitting next) to the poop closets.

Also, while not as cramped as the 7M8, the A220 FWD galley is not as spacious as it could otherwise be.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaysona
Maybe you have no issue working next to and sitting next to a poop closet, many FA's on the other hand do not like working next (and especially sitting next) to the poop closets.
How is that different from other aircraft? Most galleys have "poop closets" adjacent and frequently FA seating is beside them.
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Airplane options are not like any option anyone here has had exposure to or experience with.

In almost all cases, options are for specific slots, as the slot time nears the operator has to either take the option or cancel the option and walk away. In some cases it's an all or noting deal, as in one option is canceled, then all options are canceled, or some may be converted to purchase rights.

In any case, airplane options are unique and are almost always OEM/Operator specific, which means no two operators will have the same type of options as another operator. Just as each operator pays a different price for aircraft acquisition.

Options and purchase rights are not the same thing either, although purchase rights are more flexible for the operator, but usually have a longer lead time for delivery.
​​​​​​​Pedantic point, then why isn't the language "let the option expire"?
Old Nov 13, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very helpful - thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: E35K
I'm not sure when the restriction was lifted but I noticed all five A220s airborne this morning were cruising between 36,000 and 38,000 feet instead of 29,000. Are they still speed restricted or finally flying unrestricted?

Last edited by Flyer28; Dec 7, 2020 at 8:38 am Reason: Grammar
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Flyer28
I'm not sure when the restriction was lifted but I noticed all five A220s airborne this morning were cruising between 36,000 and 38,000 feet instead of 29,000. Are they still speed restricted or finally flying unrestricted?
Software fix was implemented on Nov 24th. N1 is still restricted over 29,000 feet, but the software is now controlling and monitoring this.

Hardware fix is still to come.
YUL and Adam Smith like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: AC SE, IHG Diamond
deleted

Last edited by bid.shader; Feb 19, 2021 at 5:08 pm Reason: redundant after move
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:28 am

C-GNBN (FIN 119) in TCA Livery

I have been waiting for so long for someone to finally say something about this and the TCA livery.

https://simpleflying.com/air-canada-a220-retrojet/

This will be one good looking A220.
YUL, The Lev, mileageking and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Courtesy Matthew Lee:

YUL, The Lev, briantoronto and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:13 am

Modern Airbus A220 to fly Air Canada’s legacy TCA livery across North America

AC has posted a blurb along with a video of the A220 in the paint shop.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ern-retro.html
YUL and EdmFlyBoi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.