Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:53 am

Although the ramifications won't be felt for some time, ICAO also announced new CO2 reduction requirements for aviation that will make the CSeries shine by comparison with any other aircraft in the marketplace. I don't expect that to move one of the US majors, but it may have an influence on the Europeans.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Brazil has jungles, Embraer is Brazillian = "Jungle Jets". Right?
Yes.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cruban
It's gonna take a lot more than an AC LOI for 30 + 15 to keep the company afloat.
Patience !
Sales will now trickle in at first and with time and performance, the trickle will grow.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by willflyforfood
This is as much a lifesaver for AC as it is for BBD. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when this deal got cut between government, AC and BBD. Who gets what, when and how must have been an interesting negotiation, and you can be sure that when AC looked at its books, it new this was too good an opportunity to pass up.
It was pretty obvious all along that AC hadn't ordered anything from Boeing that would overlap with the C-Series. Even going back to the previous government which wasn't that receptive to the concept of subsidizing BBD. Are we even sure that there is significant GoC support here? AC/BBD seemed to deny such, insisting that the deal was consummated based on the technical merits of the product.

Unfortunately BA's in-service support for their legacy products has not helped their credibility.
In what way? I've not heard of any major life-limiting or support issues with their existing projects which has caused them to be retired prematurely. In fact, haven't there been a few Dash8 life extension programs that might take certain early frames into the realm of 40-50 years in service?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Cruban

It's gonna take a lot more than an AC LOI for 30 + 15 to keep the company afloat.
Exactly. This is what I meant with my trajectory comment.

Now let's see if the United order and a few others materialize.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by yscleo
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
The Pratt & Whitney PurePower® PW1500G engines are awesome - ultra-efficient, ultra-low emissions, ultra quiet.
and they are made in Quebec.
No they are not made in Quebec. Some final assembly (specifically for the PW1500G) is done at Mirabel, but the motors are made in Hartford, CT.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
Still, I can't help but be a little cynical at the timing of the LOI given the pending layoffs.
There needs to be some perspective kept regarding the layoffs and don't take such a myopic view.

The position eliminations will happen over the next two years. This is normal in the cyclical nature of aerospace engineering.

Many of the contractors will go back to their home countries and be re-deployed to aerospace engineering work going on there. Other people will be deployed to other work within the organization.

These layoffs have been expected for quite some time, there was a huge ramp up of people to support the engineering design and testing of the aircraft platform, sustaining activities don't require as many people, so it only makes sense that positions (not people) will be eliminated. True some people will lose their job, but they will find something else. Aerospace engineering jobs are not very static by any stretch.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by jaysona
No they are not made in Quebec. Some final assembly (specifically for the PW1500G) is done at Mirabel, but the motors are made in Hartford, CT.
Is the C-Series's P&W engine immune to all the troubles that have beset its big-brother on the A321neo (or as airliners.net participants dubbed it, the A321npe, as in, "no Pratt engine")?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by WestAust
In this case, it more probably a question of timing, BBD needed to announce the order with their results, and not enough time for final sales contract between them and AC, so LOI it is!
The CS300 is still undergoing development & testing and hasn't been certified yet, so this makes sense and is a prudent move on the part of AC.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:42 am
B1

Porter wanted them too

It's good that AC is going to let Canadians travel on what will certainly be a comfortable and quiet series of aircraft. I hope this also gives AC a lever to get the feds to rescind their dismissal of discussion on the use of jets at YTZ. Porter (and now AC) could have the C-series departing with very low noise levels, even if Adam Vaughan is not happy, Marc Garneau could consider the new reality. And he is an MP from Quebec.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by pitz
Is the C-Series's P&W engine immune to all the troubles that have beset its big-brother on the A321neo (or as airliners.net participants dubbed it, the A321npe, as in, "no Pratt engine")?
The PW1500G had its issues during early testing (as do all new products) a couple of years ago resulting in a ground based uncontained engine failure hay cause quite a bit of damage to the wing of the FTV is was mounted on.

The early teething issues for the PW112xG & PW113xG will be sorted out and will have better performance than the LEAP. The issue people have with the PW11xxG is that it is completely new and unfamiliar to everyone that will use it.

Operators are an extremely conservative bunch and really don't like unknowns at all.

Last edited by jaysona; Feb 17, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by B1
It's good that AC is going to let Canadians travel on what will certainly be a comfortable and quiet series of aircraft. I hope this also gives AC a lever to get the feds to rescind their dismissal of discussion on the use of jets at YTZ. Porter (and now AC) could have the C-series departing with very low noise levels, even if Adam Vaughan is not happy, Marc Garneau could consider the new reality. And he is an MP from Quebec.
Only if it came with a bunch of slots to truly break the PD monopoly at YTZ. Unless that happens AC is happy enough watching Porter spin in the wind.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by B1
I would really love to see AC fly the CS100 out of YTZ! The CS100 is quieter than the Q400. ^
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by jaysona
There needs to be some perspective kept regarding the layoffs
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Don't be injecting reason, knowledge and common sense here. This is FT; no place for such statements.

Actually, it's refreshing to read a moderate comment. Gives me hope this site can proceed in a new, more uplifting direction.

Originally Posted by entropy
Its a bunch of Quebecois (probably corrupt) politicians, and now they have their boy (JT) in office. And surely PCC has their fingers all over a lot of these companies.

On the other hand, better to "force" AC to buy them than have all those people on unemployment...better to have aircraft produced than nothing.

Aaaaannnd, we're back...
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:19 am
B1

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Only if it came with a bunch of slots to truly break the PD monopoly at YTZ. Unless that happens AC is happy enough watching Porter spin in the wind.
The feds could easily be interested in the allocation of slots as way to protect their investment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.