Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I thought I'd run the numbers on this just for excrements and giggles. I've uploaded the spreadsheet, but for those who don't feel like looking at an Excel file, the numbers do bear out the 223 having a far lower proportion of premium seats (J + preferred) than the 7M8, 319, 320 , as well as the E-Jets and CR9. What did catch me off guard is how few premium seats there are on the 321. I knew they had cut the J cabin from to 20 to 16 a couple of years ago, but didn't realize there were so few preferred seats in the back. So if you compare the 223 to the 321, it doesn't look out of line, but compared to the most recently introduced type (7M8), or the aircraft it's most directly replacing (E90 and 319), it's pretty low.

A few more details:
  • The 223 is a touch light on J seats, but not really out of line with the rest
  • It has fewer preferred seats (in absolute terms) than the E90 and 319, despite more overall seats
  • In relative terms, the gap is quite large - the E90 has 46% more premium seats than the 223, as a percentage of total capacity (34% vs the 223's 23%), while the 319 has 28% more, and the 7M8 has 77% more

I wonder how much this is just a question of math (i.e. how many preferred rows can they fit between J and the emergency exit) vs AC's results in getting (or not) the revenue premium they want out of the preferred seats.

Sadly, most 223 operators don't have J seats (not counting fake Euro J like LX, BT, etc have), so it's hard to compare AC's layout to other 223 operators. Air Tanzania does have a proper J cabin (12J 120Y), but I can't find a seat map anywhere. It will be interesting to see how DL configures its 223s when they announce the layout.
Now I'm curious to see the wide-body numbers
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Thank you. So why does AC stay low, while others climb to designed cruise altitudes?
I didn't ask that specific question but got the impression it was a case of AC being extra cautious and keeping operations as simple as possible. I'm guessing that manual control of thrust might also preclude use of autothrottle. With the FADEC software update expected any day now it seems a good idea to minimize the risk of a pilot unintentionally selecting a potentially destructive power setting.
canadiancow and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I don't know what "compressor problems" means or what "soon" means. But since pilots are doing it manually, they are apparently trained on it, so I suspect its a long term maintenance cost (Extra wear) rather than a "might fall out of the sky" kind of problem.

And if "soon" means "next month", then they can keep the life of the engines up at the cost of go-juice and minutes of sked for a few weeks.
"Compressor problems" = damage, shutdown engine, declare emergency, divert
"soon" = days/weeks, not months
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:58 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Seems like a delivery may be delayed as some YUL-LGA/YYC flights in March that were planned with the 223 before are now showing 321 seatmaps.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GVA
Seems like a delivery may be delayed as some YUL-LGA/YYC flights in March that were planned with the 223 before are now showing 321 seatmaps.
Not necessarily. AC is constantly tweaking the schedule these days. I just had a mainline 763 flight get replaced with a rouge one this morning. They may have just decided to use the 223 elsewhere. I'd also note that 223 to 321 is a big upgauge - typically they've swapped a 223, it has been for a 319. So they may have cancelled another flight and consolidated 3x 223 flights in to 2x 321 or something.

Not saying you're definitely wrong, just that there are other, more likely explanations
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
I thought I was booked on the A220 this month (Feb 11-14) YYC-YUL on AC318/AC323 but it looks like it is now an A320!? Tell me this is a mistake? I thought AC had this metal on this route until almost May!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
I thought I was booked on the A220 this month (Feb 11-14) YYC-YUL on AC318/AC323 but it looks like it is now an A320!? Tell me this is a mistake? I thought AC had this metal on this route until almost May!
Enjoy what might be the last few rides on the AC 320s. Realized this am when I flew YYT-YYZ that it was my first AC 320 ride in a while and also thought about how they won’t be around that much longer.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
It's a mix of 223s, 320s, 319s. At one point there were some rouge 319s in there too, not sure whether they're on at all now.

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Enjoy what might be the last few rides on the AC 320s. Realized this am when I flew YYT-YYZ that it was my first AC 320 ride in a while and also thought about how they won’t be around that much longer.
Last few? Most of them still have several years left, and then there's a tranche of eight that are 16-18 years old and have a ton of flying left in them. How long they'll stay at mainline, TBD.

It's also yet to be seen what AC plans to do with the mainline 319s and 321s, most of which are much younger than the 320s, so even if the 320s get fully replaced by the 7M8s, there may be plenty of opportunities to fly the 320 family at mainline for many years.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's also yet to be seen what AC plans to do with the mainline 319s and 321s, most of which are much younger than the 320s, so even if the 320s get fully replaced by the 7M8s, there may be plenty of opportunities to fly the 320 family at mainline for many years.
Most of the 319 fleet between AC Mainline and Rouge was delivered 1996-1998. Its pretty logical that, short of a major new commitment to new A32x[neo] deliveries, that Rouge (or whatever it becomes once TS is integrated) will take every last remaining 32x frame in the fleet and the type will disappear at Mainline as those aircraft reach EOL.

So I'd have to disagree with you that the 319 fleet is "much younger". Just a few years (3.4) at best, and the original deliveries were very concentrated.

Last edited by pitz; Feb 1, 2020 at 7:58 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First experience on the 223. In J. Seats are nice, so is he entertainment stuff. Has been a while since we were on a max so I don't remember how different the seat was. But anyway,always good that it's brand new. Bathroom more roomy than the Max.

As already discussed, space between J seats is significantly less. Would be OK,except, given how much recliine they allow, seat pitch, which is also less than on the Max and most AC places, would have been nice to be bigger by an inch or two. especially since width is less, that would have made lots of sense.

But eh, at AC, seems the penny counters always win...

Now the funny stuff, across the aisle, guy was an AC first officer. Heard us mentioning that our connection had bee cancelled. So he was happy to tell us that under the new rules we qualify for $1000 compensation...

So much for the penny counters...
YWG-RO and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
Now the funny stuff, across the aisle, guy was an AC first officer. Heard us mentioning that our connection had bee cancelled. So he was happy to tell us that under the new rules we qualify for $1000 compensation...
Sorry, the cancellation (whatever flight it was) was for safety reasons, so no compensation is due...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27
Sorry, the cancellation (whatever flight it was) was for safety reasons, so no compensation is due...
I was about to post the same thing, but you beat me to it
canopus27 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

QUOTE:

"Adieu, A220. Farewell, commercial aviation.

Bombardier Inc. is transferring its 33.6-per-cent stake in the partnership that builds the plane formerly known as the C Series to Airbus SE and the government of Quebec, the companies said in a statement issued early Thursday. Airbus paid Bombardier $591 million to boost its stake to 75 per cent, while Quebec now holds the remaining 25 per cent.

The deal, which is effective immediately, cements Bombardier’s exit from commercial aerospace. It also frees the Montreal-based manufacturer of future capital requirements to Airbus Canada LP, as the venture is called, just as production is ramping up. Bombardier put the future contributions at US$700 million."

Article
https://montrealgazette.com/business...series-chapter

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 13, 2020 at 11:27 am Reason: Off topic
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Bombardier designed and built a fantastic aircraft. Shame their pockets were not deep enough to see it to fruition. As a result, Bombardier has managed to evaporate over $5 billion of shareholder value and have delivered a fantastic platform that Airbus will benefit from for decades to come.

The other loser in this is Boeing - particularly with their MAX issues. The C-Series could have given Boeing a leading platform in the 100-160 or 180 seat segment (with the addition of a CS500), freeing them up to design a new platform (perhaps using the same modern cockpit as the CSeries) for the 200-250 seat segment being dominated by the A321.
YUL, Stranger, jaysona and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Bombardier designed and built a fantastic aircraft.
Fantastic for the shareholders. For passengers, it's just another plane, not terribly different than other new planes. Although the J toilet is definitely nicer than on the Max. OTOH, bags don't fit vertically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.