Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Print Wikipost

Airbus A220 (ex CSeries) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Which plane in the 90's was it with the 2-3 Y config? Was it the dc9?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aeropain: Zirconia Status; Altitude: Marianas Trench Status; UA MP: 1 Kick to the curb status
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I believe so (and at least the infamous AC 797 of '83 was based on Wikipedia).

My only memory of flying that type of plane with AC was getting stuck in the middle seat on the '3' side after IIROPS with a CO EWR-YYZ flight.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:42 pm

Yup definitely 2-3 in the DC-9 Y. Also 2-3 in A320 J.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:06 pm

ATW magazine editor things this is a good deal for all airlines.

http://atwonline.com/blog/why-air-ca...s-all-airlines
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:36 pm

The government did not blackmail Air Canada but I bet that Air Canada whispered to the government what they could do if the government helped out on the ACPPA.

Do note that the 'buying' of aircraft by Air Canada is just a Letter of Inntent so if the government does not act quickly the Letter can be cancelled even quicker.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pitz
That's a pretty serious allegation. What's "fundamentally flawed" about the C-Series?

Sure, it showed up in the market at the wrong time. But so did the 747. The L-1011. And even the 737's sales weren't very hot for its first decade of being an offering.

As for YTZ, don't know why people are beating a dead horse. The airfield isn't, and never will be suitable for jets. YYZ is just a short train or TTC ride away. YTZ is inconvenient for most in the GTA with the exception of the downtown crowd. And having multiple airports fragmenting the YYZ hub damages the connectivity that connecting passengers expect.
Right on. And if there was serious need for another major GTA airport it would go to the east of TO. Hamilton is in a good location to take on flights for those living west of the City. YYZ like JFK in NYC will always be the hub airport and the long haul point.

Calling it "fundamentally flawed" is absurd to say the least.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 20, 2016 at 7:07 am Reason: merge separate posts
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
The facility at Mirabel is a Pratt&Whitney Canada (PWC) facility. Both PWC and Pratt&Whitney (P&W) are subsidiaries of United Technologies Corporation. The PW1500G is made (partially) by PWC at Mirabel. It is certainly not the complete manufacture of the engine, as is done for PWC engines at its facilities in Mississauga and Longeuil. PWC Mirabel is an assembly plant, similar to automotive manufacture (the parts are made elsewhere and assembled at the final stage in an assembly plant). Interestingly, while the engine is listed as a P&W engine (not PWC), it was certified (in Feb 2013) by Transport Canada, not the FAA (see Wikipedia).
Originally Posted by jaysona
The PW1500G was certified by TCCA because the first (non experimental) in service use of that motor will be on a Canadian airframe and not a US airframe.

Had the PW1500G entered service on a US airframe, then the initial certification would have been done by the FAA and TCCA would most likely have had a LOI (level of involvement) of "accept" in the certification process.
I'm not so sure that is the reason for TC certifying the engine. How would that logic apply to the PW1900G, which is destined for service on the Embraer E-Jets E2 family of aircraft?

I mentioned the certification in Canada to emphasize the Canadian aspects of these engines, as others were suggesting minimal Canadian content.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
I mentioned the certification in Canada to emphasize the Canadian aspects of these engines, as others were suggesting minimal Canadian content.
What Canadian content is being minimized or marginalized? The only reason this is even part of the discussion is because I stressed the distinction between "made in Quebec" and "assembled in Mirabel" as an influence of AC's decision. I have no doubt that skilled workers put the engine together and I'd much rather have those assembly workers employed in Quebec than elsewhere, of course. But the "Canadian content" is limited to putting the engine together and precious little else.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Altitude E50K, WS Gold (status match)
Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but maybe AC could make the left (right depending on which way you are looking) side of the cabin with the 2 as opposed to the 3 config all preferred seating in Y :P
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AC E35, Marriott, National
I'm pretty sure the Fokker that flew between YYZ and MSP in the late 90's early 00's was 2-3 Y.

I remember saying many times, the Mother Fokker went mechanical again.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:16 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by mikeymikd
I'm pretty sure the Fokker that flew between YYZ and MSP in the late 90's early 00's was 2-3 Y.

I remember saying many times, the Mother Fokker went mechanical again.
DC-9 and F.28 / F.70 / F.100 are 2+3 in Y. As are the BAe 146 and Avro 75-100 series jets, unless they are not.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by capebretonboy
Not sure if someone mentioned this already, but maybe AC could make the left (right depending on which way you are looking) side of the cabin with the 2 as opposed to the 3 config all preferred seating in Y :P
As well as all middle seats, since they are wider.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:24 pm
B1

The DC-9 was the old reliable with noise in the back end and seats with no windows there as well. When they ran out of food, at the back row, they offered free alcohol as compensation. If you are recalling JetsGo (RIP), they were all MD-80s, which are renamed DC-9-80s. These have 3-2 seating and are still used by American in their original state, presumably because they've exhausted every other way to make their flights uncomfortable for passengers and crew.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
For a while, AC operated A320s with a 2-3 front cabin seating configuration. I flew one of these between YYC and EWR in the early 1990s.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briantoronto
DC-9 and F.28 / F.70 / F.100 are 2+3 in Y. As are the BAe 146 and Avro 75-100 series jets, unless they are not.
AC did indeed have a whole bunch of DC-9-30, from 1966 until they finally retired them in 2002. 2-2 in front, 2-3 in the back. Their last major accident involved one of them which burned starting from a fire in the toilets somewhere in the US.

Regionals had BAe146, I believe with Garrett engines with a radial compressor, not the later models renamed Avro. I believe 2-3 in the back, although some airlines had them set up as 3-3.

I don't believe AC ever operated Fokker jets; but CP did, or their regional.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.