Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada pulling out YYZ-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Excellent point. Please keep sharing the knowledge.
I mean, It's hard to even contemplate an industry more impacted by scarcity than Aviation these days.
Not many people wanting to work at AC I imagine.
It’s borderline impossible to find lift – aircraft manufacturers and lessors don't even return calls from desperate airlines begging for jets needed to serve all the profitable Markets that have been cancelled.
And, let’s not even get into the fuel scarcity currently crippling the World
You really seem to know your stuff

Seems you like to follow my posts.
Assumed you might have learned a thing or two about the industry along the way. But, You know what they say about assumptions
Airlines do not cancel profitable routes.

There are more than enough unprofitable routes to be dealt with than to start cancelling ones that actually make money.

Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by transportprof
I don't see the connection. United only flew to/from SFO and LAX out of JFK.

Who would fly YYZ-JFK-LAX or SFO? I don't think there was any interline traffic between AC and UA @JFK.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Have you seen the biz fares on YYZ-EWR-SFO/LAX - many people would happily pay less for a flat bed transcon than AC's flex fares.

But yeah, JFK made no sense, except to connect to the likes of SA, AI.
JFK made sense when AC had the double feed of the UA p.s. flights and the connections from various international interlines, whether *A or not. Once they lost the UA feed, I imagine it just wasn't worth it. UA used to route a fair bit of award tickets over JFK to YYZ, which they would have paid AC for, so that alone is a factor.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by N1120A
JFK made sense when AC had the double feed of the UA p.s. flights and the connections from various international interlines, whether *A or not. Once they lost the UA feed, I imagine it just wasn't worth it. UA used to route a fair bit of award tickets over JFK to YYZ, which they would have paid AC for, so that alone is a factor.
I doubt AC delivered many pax to UA transcon. More likely it was to capture int connections, onward to their hub at Toronto. The loss of the Oz connection is gonna be inconvenient for me. No way I will fly AC to ICN with their 2nd rate service in comparison to Asian carriers, so will have to look for other options.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
FWIW, I recently flew YUL-LGA and JFK-YYZ (7am flight), both had good loads on a Tuesday. I can't say the exact count or %, but both flights were fairly full, the JFK one surprised me as it was such an early flight, but it's cheap, quick, and gets you to YYZ in time to do some business.

I think AC has positioned themselves well in the NY market. YVR/YYC have the direct to EWR flights, YYZ has all three, YUL has LGA. So I think there's plenty of service and diverse enough but also confined enough as well. I will say though that both LGA/JFK were fairly bad terminal wise, it's been a while since I've been to either and both sucked.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
Originally Posted by drvannostren
FWIW, I recently flew YUL-LGA and JFK-YYZ (7am flight), both had good loads on a Tuesday. I can't say the exact count or %, but both flights were fairly full, the JFK one surprised me as it was such an early flight, but it's cheap, quick, and gets you to YYZ in time to do some business.

I think AC has positioned themselves well in the NY market. YVR/YYC have the direct to EWR flights, YYZ has all three, YUL has LGA. So I think there's plenty of service and diverse enough but also confined enough as well. I will say though that both LGA/JFK were fairly bad terminal wise, it's been a while since I've been to either and both sucked.
There has been talk of providing direct gate/airside access from the MLL at LGA although they may wait till terminal renovations to do this.

Originally Posted by HangTen
Airlines do not cancel profitable routes.

There are more than enough unprofitable routes to be dealt with than to start cancelling ones that actually make money.

There are varying degrees of profitability.

VX cancelled SFO-YYZ not because it was unprofitable (it was) but they could make more money elsewhere with that plane

Why do airlines X instead Y?

1. Because they can

2. Because they have different priorities than the questioner.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 17, 2016 at 1:45 pm Reason: merge separate posts
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:05 pm
B1

I used WestJet to LGA from T3 at YYZ. At the next gate, there was a TAM 767 that was going to JFK (and then Sao Paulo-t is the largest airline in Brazil). The fare to JFK on TAM was actually lower than any to LGA. I don't know the basis of the arrangement but JFK does have this option in addition to DL and AA.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JJ's focus is on YYZGRU and JFKGRU. So it's not surprising that JJ dumps seats on YYZJFK at a lower price to try to pad the revenue of their fifth freedom service. I'm also sure there is a limit to the capacity they are allowed to sell on YYZJFK.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by kwflyer
There has been talk of providing direct gate/airside access from the MLL at LGA although they may wait till terminal renovations to do this.

VX cancelled SFO-YYZ not because it was unprofitable (it was) but they could make more money elsewhere with that plane

Why do airlines X instead Y?

1. Because they can

2. Because they have different priorities than the questioner.

Make no mistake about it. VX's SFO-YYZ service was spectacularly unprofitable.

The rest are semantics.

In 2010, (June - Dec) Virgin America's YYZ-SFO ran at a 60% l/f. YYZ-LAX ran at 65%.

In 2011, (Jan - April) YYZ-SFO ran at a 66.5% l/f. YYZ-LAX ran at 69.4%.

Their break -even at the time was well in the mid 80% range. They lost money hand over fist on those two routes.

AC operated YYZ-SFO at 77.4% between Jan and April 2011. Their system BELF in the first quarter of 2011 was 82.1%.

You can speculate amongst yourselves as to whether or not AC was profitable at their l/f given the amount of discounting that was going on at the time on the route.

I may have the timelines off a bit, but didn't Virgin take the YYZ aircraft and move them into Dallas?

That hasn't exactly turned out ok either. They are being murdered in Love Field.

Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by kwflyer

Make no mistake about it. VX's SFO-YYZ service was spectacularly unprofitable.
LOL ... kwflyer has zero idea what they're writing about. I mean, just in the last week we've got these gems "airlines absolutely cance profitable flights" and "VX SFO-YYZ was profitable"
kwflyer should have informed VX's SVP of Sales how profitable the route was before she went on the record with this when pulling out of YYZ as fast as possible :

"in the smaller Toronto-West Coast markets we were not able to stimulate demand as quickly as we would have liked. As a young and growing airline we've decided to instead focus on the immediate opportunities that DFW and other markets offer from our California base"
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
I may have the timelines off a bit, but didn't Virgin take the YYZ aircraft and move them into Dallas?

They did, because they felt they could make more money on that route with their limited fleet and it was DFW IIRC. L/f only tell part of the story, yields are what matter.

Fact is airlines with limited fleets will move planes from elsewhere if they believe they can make more money.

But then again, Cloudsbelow also has predicted WG's demise, no doubt from all those 'high premium' YOW cancellations from the Zitka virus. Binary/Excel spreadsheet thinking can only take you so far in life.

Last edited by kwflyer; Feb 18, 2016 at 12:23 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
LOL ... kwflyer has zero idea what they're writing about. I mean, just in the last week we've got these gems "airlines absolutely cance profitable flights" and "VX SFO-YYZ was profitable"
kwflyer should have informed VX's SVP of Sales how profitable the route was before she went on the record with this when pulling out of YYZ as fast as possible :

"in the smaller Toronto-West Coast markets we were not able to stimulate demand as quickly as we would have liked. As a young and growing airline we've decided to instead focus on the immediate opportunities that DFW and other markets offer from our California base"
Funny that quote said nothing about being unprofitable. Theres a great textbook in the Library Archives in YOW that explains the difference between variance. Some good reading for people who are going to be spending more time in the Nation's capital.

How's AC stock price doing btw?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by YOWkid
JJ's focus is on YYZGRU and JFKGRU. So it's not surprising that JJ dumps seats on YYZJFK at a lower price to try to pad the revenue of their fifth freedom service. I'm also sure there is a limit to the capacity they are allowed to sell on YYZJFK.
As noted, this is a tag to the main GRU-JFK-GRU flight and operates 3 or 4 days a week. It's really not meant to feed passengers onto other JFK flights, though the flight times, early evening ex-YYZ and ex-JFK late morning. Any limit to capacity is based on how many empty seats are anticipated to fly between JFK and YYZ in each direction. Otherwise the flight times are not very convenient...though must admit C$149 JFK-YYZ in J isn't a bad deal.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Any limit to capacity is based on how many empty seats are anticipated to fly between JFK and YYZ in each direction.
Yes and no.

There is obviously that operational cap. But more importantly, there is likely a hardline selling cap dictated by the Canada-Brazil bilateral air transport agreement. And that's the point I was making.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Otherwise the flight times are not very convenient...though must admit C$149 JFK-YYZ in J isn't a bad deal.
No doubt and probably good way to get some points in comfort.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Why did Air Canada stop offering direct flights to JFK from YYZ or YUL ? How am I supposed to conveniently catch my Cathay or JAL First or Business class award flight from JFK ?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Why did Air Canada stop offering direct flights to JFK from YYZ or YUL ? How am I supposed to conveniently catch my Cathay or JAL First or Business class award flight from JFK ?
Fly on Delta or American?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.