Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada pulling out YYZ-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canada has a guaranteed minimum of 42 slots at LGA under the Canada-U.S. Air Transport Agreement, of which AC currently possesses the rights to operate all of them. The second they don't operate the slot, it goes back to the Government of Canada for reallocation to Canadian carriers. So you can bet AC will use them.

YYZ-JFK is used largely to feed traffic to other carriers. Why would AC want to fly the short-haul to feed the ultra long-hauls? After all, the metal that flies the longest makes the most money. So what's in it for AC to operate YYZ-JFK and give away long haul traffic to fellow *A carriers?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Have you seen the biz fares on YYZ-EWR-SFO/LAX - many people would happily pay less for a flat bed transcon than AC's flex fares.
Not the typical business flyer where time is more important than a lie flat, especially if it's a four hour detour into a crazier airport known for ground delays.

And a FT flyer is not your typical business traveller. We are but a small anomaly.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Not the typical business flyer where time is more important than a lie flat, especially if it's a four hour detour into a crazier airport known for ground delays.

And a FT flyer is not your typical business traveller. We are but a small anomaly.
Thank goodness!
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Not to mention you can fly YYZ-SFO/LAX on a lie-flat every day of the week
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:38 pm

After all, the metal that flies the longest makes the most money.
That may have been true decades ago but it is no longer true.
The extra expenses of Ultra Long Haul eat up the revenue.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:49 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Canada has a guaranteed minimum of 42 slots at LGA under the Canada-U.S. Air Transport Agreement, of which AC currently possesses the rights to operate all of them. The second they don't operate the slot, it goes back to the Government of Canada for reallocation to Canadian carriers. So you can bet AC will use them.

YYZ-JFK is used largely to feed traffic to other carriers. Why would AC want to fly the short-haul to feed the ultra long-hauls? After all, the metal that flies the longest makes the most money. So what's in it for AC to operate YYZ-JFK and give away long haul traffic to fellow *A carriers?
Is it better to lose the international trips to OW and ST carriers? Which then may potentially result in the loss of domestic trips to WS? I thought the main point of an alliance is to allow members to connect to partner flights, thus opening up destinations otherwise not served by the home carrier.

LAX
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:20 pm
Original Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Have you seen the biz fares on YYZ-EWR-SFO/LAX - many people would happily pay less for a flat bed transcon than AC's flex fares.

WRONG!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KenHamer
WRONG!
Sure.

But you can respectfully disagree.

Last edited by YOWkid; Feb 13, 2016 at 6:34 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX
Is it better to lose the international trips to OW and ST carriers? Which then may potentially result in the loss of domestic trips to WS? I thought the main point of an alliance is to allow members to connect to partner flights, thus opening up destinations otherwise not served by the home carrier.
Yes...

But wouldn't AC prefer to keep the traffic to itself instead of giving it away to an alliance member? I suspect JFK-YYZ largely exists to steal U.S.-Europe/Asia sixth freedom traffic.

Let's be honest, the reality is that each alliance member is still out for itself at the end of the day.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
JFK is NYC's major international gateway and will remain so. STAR carriers will still fly there even with UA's move to EWR. UA was drawing down JFK service a year or more ago when it began dropping regional service from IAD and a couple of other airports, leaving just its PS transcon service. Other STAR carriers at JFK have made alliances with JetBlue to carry passengers onward, but also operate from EWR for UA connections, as well as to IAD with more flights beyond. JFK traffic for STAR tends to be local origination and termination and less connection.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
UA has pulled out of JFK with the PS service JFK-LAX/SFO since 10/2015. I was just made aware of it. Now all Transcon flights are from EWR with the PS service. Won't be surprised AC pulls out of JFK since they were in the same terminal as UA (T7) at JFK.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by DreamHigh
It seems they are also pulling out of LGA. I was planning to fly thru JFK to connect onto OZ, but looks like that plan is out the door.
This was my original AE Rewards tix for Spring 2016 travels as well. YOW>YYZ>JFK>ICN.

AE/AC auto protected me, and changed my routings to YOW>YYZ>LGA>ICN due to cancellation of JFK flight. Called AE back and requested them to cut out YYZ all together and send me directly via YOW>LGA(walk or taxi/shuttle)>JFK>ICN, due to schedule change.

So all things considered, it's not terrible as I have a 5h layover to connect thru to JFK from LGA. Unlike my FRA>EWR>LGA>YOW connection last summer in 100 degree heat.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:25 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
https://twitter.com/airlineroute/sta...16349698195457

Originally Posted by luvFclass
So all things considered, it's not terrible as I have a 5h layover to connect thru to JFK from LGA. Unlike my FRA>EWR>LGA>YOW connection last summer in 100 degree heat.

As for the LGA-JFK transfer, the $14 bus transfer is quite quick during the daytime, but give yourself an extra hour near rush-hour (or more). And it least it has power outlets and WiFi, running every 30 mins. Although you'll still make a stop at the AA terminal at EWR, after getting on the bus.

As for EWR-LGA, woah - that's brave, I'd never want to try that one! I do prefer EWR overall (staying on the NJ side of the Hudson when visiting NYC), I've experienced enough fun trying to get to either one from downtown, let alone the trip from one to the other.

Last edited by Absolute; Feb 13, 2016 at 11:31 am
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by Absolute
https://twitter.com/airlineroute/sta...16349698195457

As for the LGA-JFK transfer, the $14 bus transfer is quite quick during the daytime, but give yourself an extra hour near rush-hour (or more).

As for EWR-LGA, woah - that's brave, I'd never want to try that one! I do prefer EWR overall (staying on the NJ side of the Hudson when visiting NYC), I've experienced enough fun trying to get to either one from downtown, let alone the trip from one to the other.
I will arrive slap dab in the middle of LGA rush hour that morning, so am happy for the extra connect time. EWR>LGA was a fun adventure with the cabbie's AC of the fritz. I missed the LGA >EWR shuttle, so I went for the 80$USD taxi option instead. At least I got the tour of lower mid-town at rush hour. @:-) I agree, EWR is so much more convenient for International connections. Unless ya want the LH-FCL in JFK
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:42 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Yes...

But wouldn't AC prefer to keep the traffic to itself instead of giving it away to an alliance member? I suspect JFK-YYZ largely exists to steal U.S.-Europe/Asia sixth freedom traffic.

Let's be honest, the reality is that each alliance member is still out for itself at the end of the day.
I don't deny the fact that each carrier should do what's best for itself. At the end of the day, it's the bottom line that matters. If you cut a feeder flight to your alliance partners, you won't necessary force those fliers onto your metal if the goal of the flyers is to connect to other metals, especially if AC flies the same route nonstop.

The point is cutting off your partners may not be a smart move as it won't necessarily benefit you.

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.