Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
If you have general questions about how to earn SQM/SQS/SQD, please see the status qualification thread.

If you have received an incorrect amount of SQx/points, please see the thread on missing/incorrect flight activity.

Calculator for SQM, SQD, and Aeroplan points
SQM/SQD Cowculator and its source code

canadiancow's TODO list:
  • SAS Go Light fares
  • Basic economy on any airline other than AC (is it just need a fare basis that ends in GT?)
  • Ineligible codeshares, like EY-marketed, EY-operated, AC-ticketed

Adam Smith's TODO list:
  • Add earning for VA
  • Check earning rates for AC basic economy
Print Wikipost

Calculator for SQM, Aeroplan miles, & SQD

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Sent you a PM Adam Smith - hope this helps.
Please let me know the outcome so I can update the simplified version as well!
Old May 30, 2018, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YHZ-YYR is 598.
YHZ-YQX is 506.
YYR-YQX is 393.

Added these to the Google Sheets version.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
YHZ-YYR is 598.
YHZ-YQX is 506.
YYR-YQX is 393.

Added these to the Google Sheets version.
Thanks, moocow. While you're in here, any thoughts on this open jaw issue?
Old May 30, 2018, 6:27 pm

Nothing beyond what I already said. All mine have posted fairly sanely from a quick glance, but I haven't done any tickets where it's mattered enough to check anything other than the total. My revenue tickets tend to be 014 on AC metal.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Nothing beyond what I already said. All mine have posted fairly sanely from a quick glance, but I haven't done any tickets where it's mattered enough to check anything other than the total. My revenue tickets tend to be 014 on AC metal.
All my flights this year have been 014, on AC metal as well. Can't seem to get my AQD to line up with the calculator, unless it's a simple return routing (YYZ - YVR - YYZ). Any multi-segment or open-jaw itinerary gets messed up (like YYZ - YVR - YYJ).
Old May 31, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
All my flights this year have been 014, on AC metal as well. Can't seem to get my AQD to line up with the calculator, unless it's a simple return routing (YYZ - YVR - YYZ). Any multi-segment or open-jaw itinerary gets messed up (like YYZ - YVR - YYJ).
I received your stuff and will look at it over the weekend to see whether there's any discernible pattern. The one thing I'm sure of is that the cow is mooing up the wrong tree
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I spent some time looking through the itineraries that you sent me, as well as my own, and couldn't figure out a discernible pattern other than there seemed to be fairly consistent problems with open-jaw tickets and those touching YYJ.

It wasn't a question of the 250-mile minimum applying, or a 500- or 125-mile minimum. It wasn't cow's suggestion about allocating based on purchase price for each leg. I was stumped.

So I wrote to the AQD desk about that recent ticket and showed them my calculations. They confirmed that my calculations (which were based on the calculator) were correct and indicated that there had been some issues recently with their great circle distance database. So the calculator is fundamentally sound and should be accurate as-is, unless there are issues with a particular city or city pair in the database.

I wrote back and mentioned @Jebby_ca's issues with YYJ-based flights and the open-jaw Asian trip, but they said you could write them in about those. So I would suggest you write in with your AP#, PNRs, etc and see what response you get. It sounds like there may just be some issues with their database on this front, especially as it relates to YYJ.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Not sure if this has been covered, but has anyone else noticed their AQD fluctuating?

I've been using a corporate flight pass over the last 4 years on the same route, and have noticed recently (Feb) that the AQD posted has been less than before. Wondering if the taxes/surcharges are dynamic and are being deducted from the flight pass (static) itself...
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by YOWzer
Not sure if this has been covered, but has anyone else noticed their AQD fluctuating?

I've been using a corporate flight pass over the last 4 years on the same route, and have noticed recently (Feb) that the AQD posted has been less than before. Wondering if the taxes/surcharges are dynamic and are being deducted from the flight pass (static) itself...
That's exactly how it works.

If YYZ increases their AIF, your AQD for a YYZ-SFO flight is going to drop, even though it's the same FP.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
That's exactly how it works.

If YYZ increases their AIF, your AQD for a YYZ-SFO flight is going to drop, even though it's the same FP.
Good to know, thanks for confirming.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I spent some time looking through the itineraries that you sent me, as well as my own, and couldn't figure out a discernible pattern other than there seemed to be fairly consistent problems with open-jaw tickets and those touching YYJ.

It wasn't a question of the 250-mile minimum applying, or a 500- or 125-mile minimum. It wasn't cow's suggestion about allocating based on purchase price for each leg. I was stumped.

So I wrote to the AQD desk about that recent ticket and showed them my calculations. They confirmed that my calculations (which were based on the calculator) were correct and indicated that there had been some issues recently with their great circle distance database. So the calculator is fundamentally sound and should be accurate as-is, unless there are issues with a particular city or city pair in the database.

I wrote back and mentioned @Jebby_ca's issues with YYJ-based flights and the open-jaw Asian trip, but they said you could write them in about those. So I would suggest you write in with your AP#, PNRs, etc and see what response you get. It sounds like there may just be some issues with their database on this front, especially as it relates to YYJ.
Thanks @Adam Smith - I'll drop them a note.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:58 pm

Seems like they updated something... the AQD for my June 10th YYJ - YVR segment now matches what your calculator gives me, to the penny.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:24 pm

Spoke too soon? The AQD for my YYJ hop is posting "incorrectly" again... Total AQD for the trip is correct, but differs from the AQD Calculator again.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:45 am

LYS-YUL is 3639.

There is no LYS in the table. I have successfully added it to the Google Sheets version.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Wyndham Dimond, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat CND & USA, active military, Yoga teacher.
the calculator is amazing. Any way to put in a cost per mile on the next update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.