Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 15, 18, 12:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Full Feature Version
Excel version (for downloading to your own computer)

Simplified/Beginner Version (Google Sheet Version Click Here)
- Offers quick, simple search
- File is partially locked en ensure core functionality and consistency in UX
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 2, 17, 8:57 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,517
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Just full.
​​​​​​if I give you full access to the file would you mind updating both?
​​​​​​Usage is around 4 a day at the moment.
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 17, 9:00 pm
  #92  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
​​​​​​if I give you full access to the file would you mind updating both?
​​​​​​Usage is around 4 a day at the moment.
For the like 3 flights a year I take where the value isn't present already?

It seems there needs to be a better system than this.
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 17, 9:03 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,517
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
For the like 3 flights a year I take where the value isn't present already?

It seems there needs to be a better system than this.
What if we merge the linking of excel to one database sheet. Both files pulling from the sheet at the same time?
Or.... Do we still need the full original version by Adam? As it is my understanding his frustration lies the fact the sheet gets broken all the time(which is addressed through my simplified version with locked cells).
Just thinking out loud here.
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 17, 9:04 pm
  #94  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
What if we merge the linking of excel to one database sheet. Both files pulling from the sheet at the same time?
What if you use a real database?
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 17, 9:07 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,517
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
What if you use a real database?
Uhm well I did just finish my database course...
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:11 am
  #96  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,439
What's with all of the obscene entries in both spreadsheets. I tried to clean up the simplified version, but it took forever. Hope I didn't break it.
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 9:40 am
  #97  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
Originally Posted by MmmYeahBabe View Post
Uhm, what happened to the calculator, guys? The current version is not quite what I remembered.
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
What's with all of the obscene entries in both spreadsheets. I tried to clean up the simplified version, but it took forever. Hope I didn't break it.
Apparently some juvenile and disgusting person who also has an incredible amount of free time on his or her hands thought it would be funny to vandalize the spreadsheet.

I've uploaded new versions of both the Excel and Google Sheets "classic" calculators to fix that.
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 12:43 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,517
Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ View Post
What's with all of the obscene entries in both spreadsheets. I tried to clean up the simplified version, but it took forever. Hope I didn't break it.
--
13F
I have reverted file to working version.
As far as everything goes, as long as the intent is not malicious, the simplified version should be working 99.99% of the time.
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 12:43 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,517
Whoever it was did that, I am very disappointed in you.
We are better than this, You can be better than that.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Dec 3, 17 at 3:37 pm
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 1:24 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC*SE100K BA-S HH-D IHG-Plat Accor-G MR-S
Posts: 3,439
Added new airports ANU, PTP, KIN, MBJ. Added mileage to YYZ and/or YUL. Added some mileages from IST to SIN, BKK.
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 4:03 pm
  #101  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack View Post
Whoever it was did that, I am very disappointed in you.
We are better than this, You can be better than that.
And people complained when the latest sheet I uploaded was locked for editing

I feel like I have a mostly-finished web-based AQM (not AQD) database somewhere from yesteryear. Maybe it could be tied in to the spreadsheet.
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 6:40 pm
  #102  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Updated NRT-SFO (in both) to 5115.

I did notice that the simplified one has missing values from the mileage table. For example, NRT-SIN.
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:33 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,517
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Updated NRT-SFO (in both) to 5115.

I did notice that the simplified one has missing values from the mileage table. For example, NRT-SIN.
I just give you complete access to the file and unlocked milage sheet to public(though I am not sure if it's such a good idea given what happened last night)
Update: Actually on a second thought I decided to lock the milage sheet to ensure it wont be tampered with, I granted access to Cow and will be updating the entries on my own, but if you are on FT for over one year and is in good standing with the community, PM me your email and I will grant access the milage table as well. Otherwise, as people comment on this thread with their additions, it will be updated on mine sheet promptly

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Dec 3, 17 at 7:39 pm
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:52 pm
  #104  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
@Jumper Jack, do you know if the spreadsheet could be updated to query a MySQL database instead of using that mileage table? I have one that I made a long time ago, and it should be fairly easy to import updated values.

Honestly, I think making a website that can't be tampered with would be much better (and not very difficult), and I was somewhat close to getting it done at one point.

The issue that stopped me was that the distances that AC uses for AQD is different than what is used for AQM.

For example, you could have:
A-B 1000 AQM $1000 AQD
B-C 500 AQM $490 AQD

And I was too frustrated by that discrepancy to continue

Edit: I don't remember the last time I worked on this, but... http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/acmileage/
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 17, 7:56 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Posts: 5,517
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
@Jumper Jack, do you know if the spreadsheet could be updated to query a MySQL database instead of using that mileage table? I have one that I made a long time ago, and it should be fairly easy to import updated values.

Honestly, I think making a website that can't be tampered with would be much better (and not very difficult), and I was somewhat close to getting it done at one point.

The issue that stopped me was that the distances that AC uses for AQD is different than what is used for AQM.

For example, you could have:
A-B 1000 AQM $1000 AQD
B-C 500 AQM $490 AQD

And I was too frustrated by that discrepancy to continue
Found this from github. https://gist.github.com/pradeepbhero...9fd9bc74e814d0
I could make out some of his code, but not all.
I think I am actually interested in taking a crack at this after my last exam on the 15th
Jumper Jack is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread