Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 15, 18, 12:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Full Feature Version
Excel version (for downloading to your own computer)

Simplified/Beginner Version (Google Sheet Version Click Here)
- Offers quick, simple search
- File is partially locked en ensure core functionality and consistency in UX
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 11, 16, 8:36 am

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E50K, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
Thanks to the help of DrunkCargo, who did most of the work, I've made some substantial changes to the calculator. It now includes a database of most, if not all, of the commercial airports you could ever fly to on *A and a formula that will automatically calculate distances for any where the official Aeroplan distance is not in the database.
Fantastic! This is coming in very handy on my segment run coming up through the prairies! Many thanks for all the work
Old Nov 11, 16, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
It seems in my post with the updated sheet I neglected to credit our friendly neighbourhood bovine, so thanks go out to canadiancow as well for work on the haversine formula.
Old Nov 18, 16, 12:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE100
Thank you for all the work in this spreadsheet Adam and all else who contributed to it! As a new member to Elite status, it allowed to me calculate the miles for the rest of my travel this year and see how close I will be to SE100 status!
Old Dec 11, 16, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
People, please, stop deleting things in the spreadsheet. The version that's currently on Google Sheets is completely broken because someone has deleted a bunch of the formulae.

When you're done calculating whatever you were using it for, just leave it as-is. When you come in and use the sheet, just overwrite whatever was there in the blue cells with whatever info you need. Don't delete lines, don't delete cells, don't delete formulae within cells.

Also, thanks to those who are trying to help by uploading new mileage data, but note a couple of key points:
  • If you have a Tango fare or other discount economy fare that doesn't credit 100%, the mileage is wrong. Don't enter it.
  • If you're going through your Altitude history and seeing things that credit 500 or 250 miles, don't enter those either, unless you're sure that that's the exact distance. For the most part, those are the Altitude minimum mileage figures, not actual distance, and will mess up the calculations.

I'll upload a new version shortly to fix everything.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 7, 17 at 10:51 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Dec 11, 16, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

New version uploaded. From now on, I'll just keep the most up-to-date links in the wiki.

(Thanks to 24left for the suggestion to make it a wiki)

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 12, 16 at 10:12 pm
Old Mar 4, 17, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm glad to see (based on the number of times the sheet is being edited) that this seems to be useful for people.

Once again, the uploaded version has gotten messed up. Please, please, please, only edit cells in blue font. There is no reason to edit any cell that isn't in blue font if you're just making calculations. I've added some additional instructions to try to make it clear to people how to operate the sheet so that it doesn't get broken in the future.

For those who are uploading data in the mileage table, thank you. Please either use the change log or post it in this thread when you do though. Because the calculator tab keeps getting broken, I keep a master version on my computer and, when I go to replace a broken version online, I have to manually comb through the mileage table to see if anyone has updated it, which can be time-consuming.

Also, please feel free to communicate in this thread. For instance, if the sheet gets broken, post here to let me know about it and I'll upload a new version pretty quickly - I use the version stored on my computer for my own personal use, so I might not notice for a long time when the uploaded version isn't working.

I'm also interested to hear any suggestions on how the tool can be improved.
Old Mar 18, 17, 7:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Honors*Silver, IHG*Plat, Marriott*Gold
Thanks very much for putting this together, it has been a very useful tool for me!

I'm very reluctant to add new information - I seem to be quite good at breaking Excel...

Any chance you can add MAD and SBA? I have the following from my Aeroplan statements:

YYZ-MAD - 3765
SBA-SFO - 262
YEG-YYC - 158 (only for non-status)
YVR-YYJ - 38 (only for non-status)

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 17, 11:20 am
Original Poster

New version uploaded with some minor enhancements.

Originally Posted by WesternTraveller View Post
Thanks very much for putting this together, it has been a very useful tool for me!

I'm very reluctant to add new information - I seem to be quite good at breaking Excel...

Any chance you can add MAD and SBA? I have the following from my Aeroplan statements:

YYZ-MAD - 3765
SBA-SFO - 262
YEG-YYC - 158 (only for non-status)
YVR-YYJ - 38 (only for non-status)

Thanks!
Data added, thanks a lot for the contributions!

(Also, the non-status mileages are useful for those who don't have status. The spreadsheet automatically adjusts anything <250 upwards for the 250 minimum for those who have status. So keep those coming too).
Old Apr 10, 17, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

New version uploaded.
Old Jun 27, 17, 10:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
The links in the wiki no longer work... I just found this tool. Any chance I could have a copy? I'm happy with the Excel version.
Old Jun 30, 17, 7:22 am

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
The links in the wiki no longer work... I just found this tool. Any chance I could have a copy? I'm happy with the Excel version.
PM me and I can send you a copy.
Old Jun 30, 17, 8:00 am
Original Poster

I've uploaded a version that works again (seriously, people, how hard is it to not break the spreadsheet? The instructions are so clear...) and the links in the wiki should work again. Although the Google Sheets link never stopped working before, only the Excel one.
Old Sep 23, 17, 5:44 am
Original Poster

New versions uploaded. It seems that last time I uploaded, I didn't turn on editing for the Google Sheets version. For those of you who requested access for Google Sheets/Drive, please just post in the thread.

I get a lot of requests to edit the version that's meant to be downloaded to one's computer (in case the Sheets version gets broken, which happens frequently), so I pretty much just ignore the e-mails that come in because I assume they're people wanting to edit the version they shouldn't be editing...

Also a reminder that the only way to improve the accuracy of the tool is for people to share new data...
Old Oct 25, 17, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Just added YUL-YFC (350)
Old Oct 29, 17, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to @flyquiet and @ACflyerDE for contributing to the mileage table in the calculator.

But I weep at the never-ending ways in which some people continue to butcher the Google Sheets version of this tool.

Seriously, why are you people deleting formulae and entire rows? There are only a handful of cells in this sheet that need to be edited to get the results. If the text isn't blue, don't touch it.

Don't delete rows. Don't change the font and colour of the input cells. Don't do random calculations in other cells. There's a whole instructions tab, even.

It's not complicated.

Please remember that Google Sheets saves all changes, so every little dumb thing you do and little breakage you create screws up the functionality for everyone else.

</rant>

Now that that's said, I'd appreciate some feedback from those of you who actually use the sheet. What can I do to make things clearer?

Or would I be better off to kill the Sheets version and just let people download the Excel file? This thread could be used for people to post mileage changes for me to incorporate.

That's really not what I wanted, because I had hoped this would become more of a community-based project, but I'm really not sure that's working out...

Search this Thread