Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 15, 18, 12:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Full Feature Version
Excel version (for downloading to your own computer)

Simplified/Beginner Version (Google Sheet Version Click Here)
- Offers quick, simple search
- File is partially locked en ensure core functionality and consistency in UX
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 10, 16, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
So I'm starting to think some kind of database/website/something would be way better/faster/easier than this spreadsheet
Old Feb 10, 16, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Undoubtedly! But I'm just a simple finance guy, so Excel is all I can do. If we had some talented programmers around, maybe they could go and build that, but no one had done so, so I took it upon myself to at least create something
Old Feb 10, 16, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the city pair distances would be easy. I haven't even really played around with the rest enough to even know what it does

Now I need to go add some distances.
Old Feb 10, 16, 10:38 pm

Somewhat dumb question, but I have a couple mileages to add (YQU's in particular) - do you want the ACTUAL mileage, or 250, entered if it is below minimum? I assume the latter.
Old Feb 10, 16, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
Somewhat dumb question, but I have a couple mileages to add (YQU's in particular) - do you want the ACTUAL mileage, or 250, entered if it is below minimum? I assume the latter.
It's what AC credits (at 100%), so 250.

However, I have a question about all the 500s in the spreadsheet.

Should we just delete those? YYZ-YAM is not 500, but it's listed as such. And this applies for many other city pairs.

Edit: I just updated all the ones I could, which included changing YUL-YHZ from 500 to 499. But there are still 54 city-pairs listed at 500, including YYZ-YUL, which I have apparently not flown on revenue tickets since they made the change. And I mention YYZ-YUL because I assume many people here know it off the top of their head.

Last edited by canadiancow; Feb 10, 16 at 11:19 pm
Old Feb 11, 16, 7:10 am

Programs: AC SEMM
As we have discovered in the other AQD thread it seems that AC uses 2 different values for inter-airport distances. One for AQM and another for AQD calculations. You probably don't want to complicate the spreadsheet further in order to get closer to being 100% accurate but I just thought I'd mention it.
Old Feb 11, 16, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
for the record to start filling in the blanks for those "500" figures

YUL-YYZ is 314
YYC-YVR is 426
Old Feb 11, 16, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
However, I have a question about all the 500s in the spreadsheet.

Should we just delete those? YYZ-YAM is not 500, but it's listed as such. And this applies for many other city pairs.
I thought about that and figured it's better to leave something than nothing, but it's a good point. What I think might work is to add text to the error column warning that the mileage is likely out of date. I can do that tonight when I get back to my hotel.

Originally Posted by Geoflying View Post
As we have discovered in the other AQD thread it seems that AC uses 2 different values for inter-airport distances. One for AQM and another for AQD calculations. You probably don't want to complicate the spreadsheet further in order to get closer to being 100% accurate but I just thought I'd mention it.
You're correct, but once we got the updated mileage figure for MUC-YYZ in that example, we were within 0.1% of what AC provided, I think, which should be close enough.

I have though thought of a way to at least address the issue of inaccurate AQD calculations with routes that hit the 250-mile minimum without complicating the sheet much, because that's what will throw off the AQD allocation more than AC having changed the crediting for a route by a couple of miles.
Old Feb 11, 16, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
I thought about that and figured it's better to leave something than nothing, but it's a good point. What I think might work is to add text to the error column warning that the mileage is likely out of date. I can do that tonight when I get back to my hotel.
I'm not even using the calculator - I'm just using the mileage table.

And I'm actually not convinced "500" is better than nothing, since 500 is almost certainly inaccurate.
Old Feb 16, 16, 8:56 am
Original Poster

I've added a few new mileage data points.

I also added comments to the Errors column that will warn if the mileage is 500, and therefore likely stale.

I've also built a workaround to more accurately calculate AQD on flights that hit the 250-mile minimum. Basically, you need to get the actual distance from gcmap and it will then use that for AQD proration instead of the 250 AQM number.
Old Feb 17, 16, 2:57 pm

I've added a few new mileage data points.

I also added comments to the Errors column that will warn if the mileage is 500, and therefore likely stale.

I've also built a workaround to more accurately calculate AQD on flights that hit the 250-mile minimum. Basically, you need to get the actual distance from gcmap and it will then use that for AQD proration instead of the 250 AQM number.
The other issue that this does not address is if I buy a RTW on 014 the AQD will be based on the price of the ticket and not the mileage--eg my CStar RTW starting from NRT on 014 stock gives YYZ-YOW as 64 AQD in Z class fare.
Old Feb 17, 16, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ac777 View Post
The other issue that this does not address is if I buy a RTW on 014 the AQD will be based on the price of the ticket and not the mileage--eg my CStar RTW starting from NRT on 014 stock gives YYZ-YOW as 64 AQD in Z class fare.
I don't follow. AQD is always based on price of ticket and allocated between segments based on distance. Presumably if you fly NRT-YYZ-YOW-LHR-DEL-NRT or whatever on an RTW ticket, that same principle will apply. Seeing 64 AQD for a short flight like that isn't out of line with some of the other things we've been seeing to date.

If you were to enter the data in the spreadsheet, I'd bet it could come out pretty close to 64 AQD for that segment, it has been pretty accurate so far.
Old Feb 17, 16, 9:39 pm

I don't follow. AQD is always based on price of ticket and allocated between segments based on distance. Presumably if you fly NRT-YYZ-YOW-LHR-DEL-NRT or whatever on an RTW ticket, that same principle will apply. Seeing 64 AQD for a short flight like that isn't out of line with some of the other things we've been seeing to date.

If you were to enter the data in the spreadsheet, I'd bet it could come out pretty close to 64 AQD for that segment, it has been pretty accurate so far.
You are right that AQD is based on the price of the ticket. But a NRT-NRT RTW is about 8500 dollars but a YVR-YVR RTW is close to 15000 dollars. So the same sector will have different AQD although the mileage will be the same.
Old Feb 17, 16, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ac777 View Post
You are right that AQD is based on the price of the ticket. But a NRT-NRT RTW is about 8500 dollars but a YVR-YVR RTW is close to 15000 dollars. So the same sector will have different AQD although the mileage will be the same.
There's no generic number of AQD for any given route and I'm not claiming that there is. The calculator doesn't tell you how much AQD you're going to earn in total, it helps you figure out how much AQD will be allocated to each segment after you tell it exactly what fare you paid and what segments you're flying.

So, let's say you buy an RTW touching NRT, YVR, FRA and NRT. Whether you buy this as NRT-YVR-FRA-BKK-NRT or YVR-FRA-BKK-NRT-YVR, you're flying the same segments with the same mileage. That means AQD will be allocated roughly 26% to NRT-YVR, 28% YVR-FRA, 31% FRA-BKK and 16% BKK-NRT (whether you actually earn AQD on those flights depends on them being AC metal or AC codeshares ticketed on 014, but that's how the AQD will be allocated). That split will hold whether you buy the ticket originating in NRT for $8K, YVR for $15K, FRA for $250K or BKK for $1.

That's all the calculator does - allocate the total AQD you give it, based on whatever you paid, among the different flight segments.
Old Feb 18, 16, 7:44 am

There's no generic number of AQD for any given route and I'm not claiming that there is. The calculator doesn't tell you how much AQD you're going to earn in total, it helps you figure out how much AQD will be allocated to each segment after you tell it exactly what fare you paid and what segments you're flying.

So, let's say you buy an RTW touching NRT, YVR, FRA and NRT. Whether you buy this as NRT-YVR-FRA-BKK-NRT or YVR-FRA-BKK-NRT-YVR, you're flying the same segments with the same mileage. That means AQD will be allocated roughly 26% to NRT-YVR, 28% YVR-FRA, 31% FRA-BKK and 16% BKK-NRT (whether you actually earn AQD on those flights depends on them being AC metal or AC codeshares ticketed on 014, but that's how the AQD will be allocated). That split will hold whether you buy the ticket originating in NRT for $8K, YVR for $15K, FRA for $250K or BKK for $1.

That's all the calculator does - allocate the total AQD you give it, based on whatever you paid, among the different flight segments.
Thanks for the explanation.Will try this out soon.

Search this Thread