Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

New & improved Calculator for AQM, Aeroplan miles & AQD

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 15, 18, 12:57 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Adam Smith
Wiki Link
Full Feature Version
Excel version (for downloading to your own computer)

Simplified/Beginner Version (Google Sheet Version Click Here)
- Offers quick, simple search
- File is partially locked en ensure core functionality and consistency in UX
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Feb 10, 16, 12:03 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Why is the distance cell for YQY-GVA "=3670*1.5+3670*0.75" ?

First of all, that isn't even an integral result.

Second, I'm pretty sure that route isn't flown by anyone.

Third, the number is WAY over the gcmap distance. 3670 is way over the gcmap distance.
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 12:28 am
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
Mauricio, thanks

ffsim, yes, far more than 100,000 km. About 235,000 km BIS last year. That number was put in there without even asking me the question.

cow, as I said in the initial post, there is definitely some sketchy data in this thing. In this case, I suspect someone who lives in YQY was trying to calculate something for themselves. I think most of the data is solid, and I cleaned out a lot of junk like that when I updated it, but one man can only do so much, so this is where getting more eyes on it is a big help.
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 12:48 am
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
I've corrected the discrepancy identified by our bovine friend as well as updated some info that came up in the AQD thread. Both Google Sheets and Excel version links are updated in the initial post upthread.
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 12:51 am
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
I've corrected the discrepancy identified by our bovine friend as well as updated some info that came up in the AQD thread. Both Google Sheets and Excel version links are updated in the initial post upthread.
How are you handling updates?

I had tweaked something in the spreadsheet, but it seems to have been overwritten.
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 12:57 am
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Also, if anyone has the distances for any of the following cities, I'd appreciate if you can add them to the spreadsheet (although I'd like to hear back from adam.smith on my question about updates first).

YEG-YMM
YEG-YQT
YEG-YQU
YEG-YZF
YGP-YGR
YHZ-YDF
YHZ-YFC
YHZ-YQX
YHZ-YSJ
YHZ-YYR
YLW-YYC
YQB-YGP
YQB-YGR
YQB-YZV
YSJ-YHZ
YUL-CUN
YUL-YBC
YUL-YBG
YUL-YGP
YUL-YGR
YUL-YQM
YUL-YUY
YUL-YVO
YUL-YWK
YUL-YYG
YUL-YYY
YUL-YZV
YUL-ZBF
YVO-YUY
YVR-YBL
YVR-YCD
YVR-YCG
YVR-YLW
YVR-YPR
YVR-YQQ
YVR-YQZ
YVR-YWL
YVR-YXC
YVR-YXE
YVR-YXJ
YVR-YXS
YVR-YYD
YVR-YYF
YVR-YZP
YWG-CUN
YWG-YQT
YYC-CUN
YYC-YCD
YYC-YCG
YYC-YLW
YYC-YMM
YYC-YQL
YYC-YQU
YYC-YXC
YYT-YQX
YYZ-MBJ
YYZ-NAS
YYZ-PVR
YYZ-YDF
YYZ-YGK
YYZ-YQT
YYZ-YQY
YYZ-YSB
YYZ-YSJ
YYZ-YTM
YYZ-YTS
YYZ-YYB
YYZ-YYG
YYZ-YZR
YZV-YWK

Edit: I just realized I have a few of these

Last edited by canadiancow; Feb 10, 16 at 1:28 am Reason: Removed the ones I added
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 1:04 am
  #21  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
How are you handling updates?

I had tweaked something in the spreadsheet, but it seems to have been overwritten.
This set of updates I made in Excel and then uploaded the file to Sheets and Drive, deleting the old versions. No one had put anything in the change log, so I didn't think anyone had edited anything other than using the calculator sheet.

Going forward, the Sheets file can be a living file that people can edit and keep up to date and if ever I or someone else uploads a new version, I can refresh the link in the initial post. But if people make edits, using the change log helps keep track of things so they don't accidentally get overwritten. So, use the change log

Quite the list of airports there, gearing up for a putative EYW5?
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 1:10 am
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
This set of updates I made in Excel and then uploaded the file to Sheets and Drive, deleting the old versions. No one had put anything in the change log, so I didn't think anyone had edited anything other than using the calculator sheet.

Going forward, the Sheets file can be a living file that people can edit and keep up to date and if ever I or someone else uploads a new version, I can refresh the link in the initial post. But if people make edits, using the change log helps keep track of things so they don't accidentally get overwritten. So, use the change log

Quite the list of airports there, gearing up for a putative EYW5?
Haha I'm just doing some data analysis

Edit: What's the process for adding a new city (YQT, YQX, YGK, YYF, ... basically all the cities I listed above ) to the table?

Last edited by canadiancow; Feb 10, 16 at 1:25 am
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:32 am
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
There's a step-by-step explanation of how to add new cities to the sheet without it going all wonky on the Instructions tab (3rd paragraph).
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 3:05 pm
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
There's a step-by-step explanation of how to add new cities to the sheet without it going all wonky on the Instructions tab (3rd paragraph).
Thanks.

Figured I'd knock a few out instead of having a rolling sword-fight on office chairs, but it'll take more than the 15 seconds I have between builds, so I'll do it later.
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:06 pm
  #25  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
Just knowing my geography and a couple quick double-checks on gcmap, all of the cities in bold will be below the 250-mile minimum and therefore 250 miles in the chart.

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
YEG-YMM
YEG-YQT
YEG-YQU
YEG-YZF
YGP-YGR
YHZ-YDF
YHZ-YFC
YHZ-YQX
YHZ-YSJ
YHZ-YYR
YLW-YYC
YQB-YGP
YQB-YGR
YQB-YZV
YSJ-YHZ
YUL-CUN
YUL-YBC
YUL-YBG
YUL-YGP
YUL-YGR
YUL-YQM
YUL-YUY
YUL-YVO
YUL-YWK
YUL-YYG
YUL-YYY
YUL-YZV
YUL-ZBF
YVO-YUY
YVR-YBL
YVR-YCD
YVR-YCG
YVR-YLW
YVR-YPR
YVR-YQQ
YVR-YQZ
YVR-YWL
YVR-YXC
YVR-YXE
YVR-YXJ
YVR-YXS
YVR-YYD
YVR-YYF
YVR-YZP
YWG-CUN
YWG-YQT
YYC-CUN
YYC-YCD
YYC-YCG
YYC-YLW
YYC-YMM
YYC-YQL
YYC-YQU
YYC-YXC
YYT-YQX
YYZ-MBJ
YYZ-NAS
YYZ-PVR
YYZ-YDF
YYZ-YGK
YYZ-YQT
YYZ-YQY
YYZ-YSB
YYZ-YSJ
YYZ-YTM
YYZ-YTS
YYZ-YYB
YYZ-YYG
YYZ-YZR
YZV-YWK
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:15 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
Just knowing my geography and a couple quick double-checks on gcmap, all of the cities in bold will be below the 250-mile minimum and therefore 250 miles in the chart.
Every one you highlighted either had one city missing from the chart (so I couldn't add it), gcmap had it close enough to 250 (YEG-YMM is exactly 250 on gcmap) that I didn't want to risk putting in incorrect data.
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:22 pm
  #27  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
So, you just wanted someone else to do your dirty work for you? Jeez, you computer guys. But it's okay, I'm a finance guy, I'll do anything for a fee
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:34 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: YVR
Programs: Ice Cream Club UA, DL, EK, AC*SE
Posts: 2,662
Not sure I fully understood the note about manual revision control (change log?), but google sheets does track changes at a cell-by-cell granularity.

I'd think gcmap is a close enough approximation no? Badge counting is very different than mile counting...

I'm busy working on my own AC related issues right now to be thinking about useful optimizations.
DrunkCargo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 6:43 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 28,077
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
So, you just wanted someone else to do your dirty work for you? Jeez, you computer guys. But it's okay, I'm a finance guy, I'll do anything for a fee
I don't know how I'm supposed to figure out the actual distance AC credits for YEG-YMM

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo View Post
Not sure I fully understood the note about manual revision control (change log?), but google sheets does track changes at a cell-by-cell granularity.

I'd think gcmap is a close enough approximation no? Badge counting is very different than mile counting...
Close enough approximation if you think you're going to be within 5 miles of a status level? Not worth the risk.

Better to know the exact count.

Although for my purposes gcmap is probably good enough, but my hope was to use and improve this spreadsheet, since it will be useful to more than just us
canadiancow is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 16, 9:27 pm
  #30  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 5,837
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo View Post
Not sure I fully understood the note about manual revision control (change log?), but google sheets does track changes at a cell-by-cell granularity.

I'd think gcmap is a close enough approximation no? Badge counting is very different than mile counting...

I'm busy working on my own AC related issues right now to be thinking about useful optimizations.
Sure, gcmap is sufficient the vast majority of the time, but this spreadsheet is potentially more useful for a couple reasons.

1. gcmap usually doesn't reflect the exact amount AC credits. Not usually a big deal, but to someone trying to plan an MR, EYW or just plan their flying to ensure they make status/threshold eups/gifts etc, those few miles here and there could make the difference.

2. I know some have, but suspect that a lot of people on this board haven't built themselves any kind of spreadsheet to forecast this stuff, and many who have probably have something more simplistic. If we have a well fleshed-out database, this spreadsheet can be a one-stop-shop. Enter origin, destination, total AQD and boom, it will spit out very accurate AQM, Aeroplan and AQD. No need to go to gcmap, then a spreadsheet for mileage, then calculate AQD. This spreadsheet also is better tailored to AC/Altitude/Aeroplan specifically than an online tool like WebFlyer.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Feb 13, 16 at 1:13 pm Reason: Corrected typo
Adam Smith is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread