Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jaysona
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

New Air Canada Website!

Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
What ever they did the site is SLOW, actually timed out in seat selection
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anoter dumbing down

Cosmetically pleasant maybe.

But it no longer shows the booking code. No way to tell if business class lowest is P, or Z, or whatever.

Mind you, the thing has become such a mess anyway.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Stranger
....But it no longer shows the booking code. No way to tell if business class lowest is P, or Z, or whatever.........
CORRECT

......Mind you, the thing has become such a mess anyway.
CORRECT

No P, Z, whatever visible. Mmmmm, I wonder why it was removed.........

Random sample dates and itinerary so I could see what it looks like. Lots of white space.

Can someone confirm that AC has removed the ability to see fare class before payment?

If you click "details" you only get this

If you click "Business Class Lowest" you get this

Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 24left
CORRECT

CORRECT

No P, Z, whatever visible. Mmmmm, I wonder why it was removed.........

Random sample dates and itinerary so I could see what it looks like. Lots of white space.

Can someone confirm that AC has removed the ability to see fare class before payment?
Actually if you go to "see complete fare rules" it shows"

Fare basis code: PXRCT34

FCL: PXRCT34 TRF: 864 RULE: ACFR BK: P
Just a couple more hoops, and you need to go though both ways to find out. Not the end of the world. Just another enhancement in favor of cosmetics and obscurity. Just wait for "analytics." (Nice euphemism BTW. Especially for those of us whose hobby is mathematical analysis.)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:39 am
Suspended

Actually if you go to "see complete fare rules" it shows"

Just a couple more hoops, and you need to go though both ways to find out. Not the end of the world. Just another enhancement in favor of cosmetics and obscurity. Just wait for "analytics." (Nice euphemism BTW. Especially for those of us whose hobby is mathematical analysis.)

Thanks, I see it as per your directions
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
It's a sign further enhancements are being worked on and will be announced a few days after they go live.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended

So.....

Before I saw the post from @Stranger I called AC and asked what's up

Agent says he sees a "select" button and then on the summary page, he sees the "P" fare. I told him he was looking at the old site. He then asked me which browser I'm using. I told him both. He then said: "Air Canada's site is optimized for Firefox".

Wow, news to me. I don't recall any news items or email from AC telling me that I should use Firefox.

I'm not the only one who uses a few different browsers for different things but when I saw the new website format on Safari at 8:30 this morning and posted as such upthread, I also checked Chrome and it was also the new site.

So I repeat and say to the agent the site is new on Safari and Chrome. He said "if there was a new site, we would have been told about it"

Well, ok then. I'm now telling you about it. Thanks.

Now I don't mind stumbling across a new AC website before a morning jolt of caffeine but I think that it would be a little embarrassing for AC agents to not know a new website version was up and running on some browsers for some customers.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Call centre employees are often the last ones to be notified of changes.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
I told him both. He then said: "Air Canada's site is optimized for Firefox".

Wow, news to me. I don't recall any news items or email from AC telling me that I should use Firefox.

LOL
Optimized for 5% of population, seems legit
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So.....

Before I saw the post from @Stranger I called AC and asked what's up

Agent says he sees a "select" button and then on the summary page, he sees the "P" fare. I told him he was looking at the old site. He then asked me which browser I'm using. I told him both. He then said: "Air Canada's site is optimized for Firefox".

Real funny. I use firefox and I see the new site just as 24left. I don't think the agent was, or else he had a way to use the old site.

BTW, if they really "optimize for Firefox," which I doubt, might not be a bad idea. :Probaly the most standard-compliant browser, and with less of an agenda. Others are geared toward either Google, or Microcrap or Apple "analytics."

I disable access to all trackers that I identify (in my /etc/hostsfile). Including all the google ones. Guess what, Chrome just won't keep going and gives me an error. Firefox ignores and usually works. Of course apple is even worse, At least on IOS devices, won't even give you a way to blacklist.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

@Stranger - I have the new site on Safari and Chrome and the old site on Firefox. LOL

Anyway, indeed, Firefox is showing the old stuff...with the cute little "Select" button the agent kept telling me to press - which doesn't exists on the new site. LOL

Yes, there it is

And yes, on the old site, you saw the fare class (eg. "P") on the Review page.

Of course it is FAR better to click a new link and see the fare basis code itself and all the Fare Conditions, but that isn't the point.

Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
LOL
Optimized for 5% of population, seems legit
LOL, you're such an optimist
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Looks very similar to the United set up.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Stranger - I have the new site on Safari and Chrome and the old site on Firefox. LOL

Anyway, indeed, Firefox is showing the old stuff...with the cute little "Select" button the agent kept telling me to press - which doesn't exists on the new site. LOL
Strange, because I don't.

Perhaps if you either try in an incognito/private browser, or restarting you might see the new one? And perhaps so would have the agent? (Might depend on some cookies/spy stuff, that gets intialized and is kept for the seesion. (Which I probably blocked).

Doesn't seem to be a temporary thing either since I continue seeing the new one.

Mind you it also might depend upon the platform/OS.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
LOL

That's in China surely.

UC Browser? I had to look for it. Appears to be a creation of these PLA hacker teams/Alibaba. Probably full of trapdoors.

In North America, after Chrome, Safara, TE and firefox all share about 10%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.