Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jaysona
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

New Air Canada Website!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Agree, just noticed the same, does seem clearer and less laggy.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bartolo
I got a couple of good car rental deals via the website recently. Price as good or better than booking direct with Avis/Budget and if course a lot of points. Had never used the website for a car rental before. Fascinating to me was that changing pick up time by two hours made a significant difference (considerably lower price for same thing). Only because I was multitasking and forgot to change the default. Live and learn. Happy to take savings in US $.
That has nothing to do with the crappy new web site however.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Anyone noticed the new AC website tweaks?

I like the new tabs, it makes it obvious. The idea is there, but the fonts and icon res is hideous (sorry designing team).

It felt less "laggy" too. But that could all be in my head.

I'm also happy that I don't feel like I'm on Windows 95 PC with super zoom for accessibility. Still think it's a bit too big though.
Tweaks are not cutting it. I've had to divert 90% of my bookings to lufthansa for INTL PY and J because their website does it. Tried calling into AC the other week for a PY INTL fare and the Agent couldn't figure it out either.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:52 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Last night, as I was booking a ticket to Baltimore, the website kept refuse to let me login in for about three or four tries, even lock me out of my reservation page. I had to call it in(CALL DROPPED), then redo the reservation AGAIN

Who build this POS, seriously? I want the extra hour I spent on this non-sense back.

Like Is there even a Product Manager or hack, an APM using the website daily?????????????????????
You dont need to be a technical manager to know there are SERIOUS issue with the current build of the site, any user here can tell you that.

oh and atleast the new UI better, they at least made search more clear before it was more like:

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Nov 10, 2016 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Last night, as I was booking a ticket to Baltimore, the website kept refuse to let me login in for about three or four tries, even lock me out of my reservation page. I had to call it in(CALL DROPPED), then redo the reservation AGAIN

Who build this POS, seriously? I want the extra hour I spent on this non-sense back.

Like Is there even a Product Manager or hack, an APM using the website daily?????????????????????
You dont need to be a technical manager to know there are SERIOUS issue with the current build of the site, any user here can tell you that.

oh and atleast the new UI better, they at least made search more clear before it was more like:

Hahahaha at Waldo
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
A friend of mine just told me she liked the new website, found it easy to use and understand, and made her choose AC over WS (apparently their site is s-tier).

100% no joke no troll no barrel roll.
I believe this entirely. WS's website is pretty poor, but it's navigable to get the job done. I tend to choose my airline based on expected service delivery. I used to fight to book AC vs everyone else, despite being more expensive in nearly 100% of the cases I booked. Even now, I would fight the AC UI to get my booking on AC if I felt the pod would be preferred over say, WS Plus. Heck, I spent around 120 minutes fiddling with the UI just to get an AC J vs a DL F the other day, mind you this was the FP UI, not exactly the "beta" site.

But when the site plain refuses to take the sale, and the flight requirement is within T-12h, and I'm tired... I'll just go elsewhere. Elsewhere is not much better.

I don't think this latter example occurs often enough to warrant much attention to "IT" at AC. And if I was a shareholder, I would prefer this. Two wrongs don't make a right, but if everyone is wrong, then perhaps that's the "right".
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I am posting this as an example of EASE OF USE, SPEED, and since AC was craving bright colors and such.....

The other day, a fellow FTer mentioned they had flown Vanilla Air

So I took a tour through their website

This main page is pretty simple https://www.vanilla-air.com/en

But their "tour" page was fantastic. It was simple, colourful, easy to navigate, provided lots of clickable info-links and was FAST.

This is great. Click the START button

https://www.vanilla-air.com/en/welcomeaboard/

As you scroll down, various info option appear. If you click any one of them, you get a page with all the info in perfect English in a neat and presentable fashion, all easy to navigate.

NOTE: Some of you may think Vanilla Air's site looks childish. At least is works.

Attached Images    
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: TK *G

I spent 5 minutes trying to find WALDO, but I had no luck

I think AC's new website is better than this.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by songsc
I spent 5 minutes trying to find WALDO, but I had no luck

I think AC's new website is better than this.
It took me about 1 second, but I've seen this one before.

I think this is also true of any website we use often. It's when it's new we get frustrated and expend mental time hunting for what we want. We'll all get used to the new look/feel I'm sure.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Is there really no way to get back to a booking's "main page" after selecting seats? By "main page," I mean the very first page we're presented once we select a booking -- the one that offers the various booking-related functions like seat selection, APIS info, cancel booking, etc.

It looks like we have to go back to "manage bookings" then select the booking all over again once making something as simple as a change to an existing seat selection. Has no one at AC tried to do this prior to roll-out???
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: AC*A
The Fleet page has been updated with new photos of nearly all the planes - the 777s have the new interior pictures and the 763 and 333 have some nice Montréal scenery in the background

https://beta.aircanada.com/content/p...ard/fleet.html
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
It took me about 1 second, but I've seen this one before.

I think this is also true of any website we use often. It's when it's new we get frustrated and expend mental time hunting for what we want. We'll all get used to the new look/feel I'm sure.
Actually, when Google launched its refresh Drive, Gmail or other web/mobile apps, they have visual aids for those who login first time to help users navigate. AC did not bother at all

Originally Posted by 24left
I am posting this as an example of EASE OF USE, SPEED, and since AC was craving bright colors and such.....

The other day, a fellow FTer mentioned they had flown Vanilla Air

So I took a tour through their website

This main page is pretty simple https://www.vanilla-air.com/en

But their "tour" page was fantastic. It was simple, colourful, easy to navigate, provided lots of clickable info-links and was FAST.

This is great. Click the START button

https://www.vanilla-air.com/en/welcomeaboard/

As you scroll down, various info option appear. If you click any one of them, you get a page with all the info in perfect English in a neat and presentable fashion, all easy to navigate.

NOTE: Some of you may think Vanilla Air's site looks childish. At least is works.

Or even the Virgin America site as well, simple -smooth and lag free. (AC finally fixed this issue last week, EIGHT months after the launch)
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:14 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Tweaks are not cutting it.
A journey of 13 billion light years begins with a single tweak.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Actually, when Google launched its refresh Drive, Gmail or other web/mobile apps, they have visual aids for those who login first time to help users navigate. AC did not bother at all
(bolding mine)

Google also hires all the A-grade grads from top-tier schools, leaving only the C+ and below from random schools to be hired by AC. Not that grades are necessarily indicative of ability, but those who are able typically achieve high grades as a mere side-effect of minimal effort, assuming they're not dropped out, mentally or in actuality. Poring through about 500 AC employee profiles on linked in in the last day, I'd say AC does hire from schools like MIT, but... But the bell curve always has a left 50% about the fulcrum. We've seen in the last week how this 50/50 thing works.

I think UX design requires a great deal of empathy, which can either be innate, or in the case of the more left-brained, intellectualized. I think to intellectualize empathy one has to have leftover brain cycles to devote to this function. I'd argue AC did bother, but did the best they could with the resources on hand.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:30 pm
Original Member

C+?

You wish!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.