Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jaysona
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

New Air Canada Website!

Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by KenHamer
But haven't we all seen this in our other lives?

The Mytical Man Month

40 years old, and still spot on.

Loved this:
"Brooks' observations are based on his experiences at IBM while managing the development of OS/360. He had added more programmers to a project falling behind schedule, a decision that he would later conclude had, counter-intuitively, delayed the project even further."

Hmmmmm.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by 24left
It doesn't work (properly or at all depending on the user)
It's bloated
It's slow

I'm sure some people think it's pretty though
Are we talking about the site?

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You provide such great comedy here! ^ (sorry, I couldn't find a smiley with a bigger thumb)
I can't help but smell some sarcasm. =P I'm funny in my own mind, my own palace.

Loved this:
"Brooks' observations are based on his experiences at IBM while managing the development of OS/360. He had added more programmers to a project falling behind schedule, a decision that he would later conclude had, counter-intuitively, delayed the project even further."

Hmmmmm.
Yea, it's more a project (people) management book than a technical one. Every compsci 101 kid reads this...

On a more positive note, they brought back the "Return to Current Site" link at the bottom! It was always there when your user-agent was android chrome, but now it's back at least for Windows Chrome.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
And now that I can get to the old site, this is happening...

It appears call centre is not even an option at the moment? Fun times... I think SFO this weekend is not in the cards.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 20, 2016, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
On a more positive note, they brought back the "Return to Current Site" link at the bottom! It was always there when your user-agent was android chrome, but now it's back at least for Windows Chrome.
And it's a really nice, bright yellow banner at the bottom of the page (Chrome/Mac)

Thanks ^

At least for those who ARE interested, at the bottom of the old site is an "invitation"......"Introducing the all-NEW aircanada.com...Visit our new site now"
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
When I run the new AC website on my laptop (i5 3rd gen, windows 10, chrome) it is disparagingly slow.

I did a booking yesterday, and I got so frustrated with the slow rendering response. It was like back in my 386, Netscape, & windows 3.1 days with a 9600 baud modem.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Oh, and they should just load all flights, rather than this click for later flights in the day nonsense.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:28 pm
Original Member

And it's a really nice, bright yellow banner at the bottom of the page (Chrome/Mac)

Thanks ^

At least for those who ARE interested, at the bottom of the old site is an "invitation"......"Introducing the all-NEW aircanada.com...Visit our new site now"
Air Canada will eventually do the right thing...

...just as soon as they have finished trying every possible wrong thing.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AC MM SE; SPG Plat; Hilton Gold
Why did they change it?

The old site was not perfect, but most of us were used to it and it generally worked. In reading a number of pages here I see the only positive comment is that some think it looks more modern . That's very subjective st best and hardly offsets the amazing number of deficiencies many have clearly identified. For me it no longer is intuitive at all, takes more steps and is much slower - probably due to all the useless pictures we are now subjected to. When I visit other airline websites the feel is usually to some degree intuitive. Not here.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended

We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming.....

Attached Images  
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Ok, I tried for an hour and gave up. Was booking $36,400 total (multiple J tickets for multiple people) to India. Using Chrome on a Mac, nothing but errors - on every single page - and couldn't get back to the old site where I've been able to do this without any problems.

They are now booked on CX.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:56 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ramsfan
The old site was not perfect, but most of us were used to it and it generally worked. In reading a number of pages here I see the only positive comment is that some think it looks more modern . That's very subjective st best and hardly offsets the amazing number of deficiencies many have clearly identified. For me it no longer is intuitive at all, takes more steps and is much slower - probably due to all the useless pictures we are now subjected to. When I visit other airline websites the feel is usually to some degree intuitive. Not here.
I've often observed that the primary purpose of software changes/upgrades is to justify the existence of those responsible for the change/upgrade.

Any other effect is typically a coincidental benefit or collateral damage.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Ok, I tried for an hour and gave up. Was booking $36,400 total (multiple J tickets for multiple people) to India. Using Chrome on a Mac, nothing but errors - on every single page - and couldn't get back to the old site where I've been able to do this without any problems.

Well, that's ten times the value of business that I took elsewhere this week
Old Aug 21, 2016, 7:34 am

I noticed if you open a new tab and browse in it, the old tab will time out and your new tab now says you're not logged in, which is of course a pain when in the middle of booking a flight.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Sean Peever

This will be deducted from someone's salary at AC.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
Well, that's ten times the value of business that I took elsewhere this week
Due to the website fail or other factors?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.