New Air Canada Website!

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 7, 18, 1:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jaysona
Wiki Link
Update: 14-Jan 2016, 00:50

The old website is in the process of being "retired"
Leaving the below here for now for the sake of posterity and reference.
Accessing the "old" website.

At the moment (09-Sep-2016) accessing the old and functional website is still possible.

The procedure to access the old website requires a few steps.

1. Clear all aircanada.com related cookies and browser cache.
2. Go to this URL. https://www.aircanada.com/en/go-beta.html
3. Click on book travel Button at the top left of the screen.

Alternatively for some clicking on one the following links will work for some as well.

https://www.aircanada.com/aco/flights.do or;
https://www.aircanada.com/en/home.ht...ialSignon=true

"A digital transformation underway at Air Canada is reshaping the customer experience in almost every way"
Most of the old website URLs now redirect to the new "beta" website.
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 16, 9:57 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
I use Tripit Pro and fortunately my flights were already loaded. And yes, you should not ask much of AC IT though I will say their app has gotten better.
Old May 10, 16, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
This is because of how TripIt parses emails. If the format changes, they need to update their parsers.

This is on TripIt, not AC (for once).
Old May 10, 16, 11:11 am

Programs: E50K
How often does the AC website switch between old and new format? Seems odd to me that last night I got the new one, but today it is back to the old one. Also odd that emails from old system are in a format from which third parties can parse data, but from the new one they can't. Agree, TripIt will need to adjust, but odd AC did not take this into consideration.
Old May 17, 16, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ice Cream Club
Originally Posted by jjlm View Post
Agree, TripIt will need to adjust, but odd AC did not take this into consideration.
I agree with Cow on this, I think it's up to Tripit to adjust since it's their service that's essentially reverse engineering the email and scraping data into their repository. AC is fully within their rights to change the look/feel of their correspondence and website and not notify third parties.

I think last night's maintenance was another attempt to go live with the new site. Clearly something backfired.
Old May 17, 16, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo View Post
I agree with Cow on this, I think it's up to Tripit to adjust since it's their service that's essentially reverse engineering the email and scraping data into their repository. AC is fully within their rights to change the look/feel of their correspondence and website and not notify third parties.

I think last night's maintenance was another attempt to go live with the new site. Clearly something backfired.
Also, TripIt isn't smart enough, especially wth the volume of my bookings, to correctly differentiat which of my bookings were cancelled, rebooked, etc.. So I end up getting all these itinerary conflict emails when there isn't actually a conflict. If a company like that can't figure this intelligence out, I'll sell my product soon.
Old May 17, 16, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
Also, TripIt isn't smart enough, especially wth the volume of my bookings, to correctly differentiat which of my bookings were cancelled, rebooked, etc.. So I end up getting all these itinerary conflict emails when there isn't actually a conflict. If a company like that can't figure this intelligence out, I'll sell my product soon.
Yea, it takes forever to "move" segments around and whatnot. I just recently spent a week typing old data into a spreadsheet in anticipation of needing this historical data. I felt like a stinking bookkeeper. It's way too difficult a problem to really "intelligently" mine the rationale behind the transactions when the rationale is complex. Heck, good luck finding a human that could explain your itineraries upon review just the transactional data (ticketed, cancelled, rebooked, etc). Does your assistant understand what you're doing? =P
Old May 17, 16, 3:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo View Post
If I open a totally clean browser, it (www.aircanada.com) lands on the classic page after asking language/country... so perhaps it's some redirect thing going on... As soon as I hit beta.aircanada.com once, I get stuck in beta with no "user-friendly" method of returning to classic.

Still, I'm glad I'm looking at the new "features" or "limitations" of the new site. For instance, no clear way to change the ff number attached to PNR.

Edit: Actually, at the bottom of most pages, I now get this... which appears to undo the redirect to beta.aircanada.com
Beta?
Old May 17, 16, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
It boggles my mind how TripIt creates duplicate flights when I get a "reservation reminder" or "check-in now" email from a carrier or when a reservation comes in two emails (reservation confirmation and another email later when the ticket is issued).

Like FFS, both emails have the PNR in them. Why, why, why can't TripIt tell they are for the same reservation?
Old May 17, 16, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
Beta?
yea, hit this link to intentionally see the new site now. And it actually works too! Some don't like the chunky square UI, but it serves me well on a crazy highres tablet.

http://beta.aircanada.com
Old May 17, 16, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector View Post
It boggles my mind how TripIt creates duplicate flights when I get a "reservation reminder" or "check-in now" email from a carrier or when a reservation comes in two emails (reservation confirmation and another email later when the ticket is issued).

Like FFS, both emails have the PNR in them. Why, why, why can't TripIt tell they are for the same reservation?
I just manually forward emails to [email protected], and only forward the actual last ticketing email rather than the confirmation, after doing seat selections, etc, etc. No way would I let tripit look at ALL my email to discern what's travel or not. NSA already does that.
Old May 18, 16, 5:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold
Meh.

Still seems really buggy in places. For example:

Click on "Hi, see your account"
Select "My bookings"

Doesn't show your flight pass bookings in the list. You still need to select "Flight Pass" on the top right. (How hard is it to compile a list of all the bookings that are attached to your Aeroplan account?! )

When I click Flight Pass I just end up at a blank page. Sometimes it appears to be redirecting me but doesn't actually work.

Mac OS / Safari v 9.1.1 (11601.6.17)
Old May 18, 16, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Benner View Post
Still seems really buggy in places. For example:

Click on "Hi, see your account"
Select "My bookings"

Doesn't show your flight pass bookings in the list. You still need to select "Flight Pass" on the top right. (How hard is it to compile a list of all the bookings that are attached to your Aeroplan account?! )

When I click Flight Pass I just end up at a blank page. Sometimes it appears to be redirecting me but doesn't actually work.

Mac OS / Safari v 9.1.1 (11601.6.17)
I don't know why I'm defending AC right now, but if you scroll down a bit on the first landing page, there's a "Access My Flight Passes" that immediately takes you to the relevant section. Actually, I consider this an improvement over the original site.

As for listing all related flights in one view, I agree. It's not a regression from old site, but not an improvement.

I'm weird, but I spend a lot of time finding things on various service provider sites so I can access quickly when required... especially travel stuff since a lot of it for me is last minute (t-45m).
Old May 18, 16, 5:18 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
It allows you to select seats and see the cost of preferred seats before actually taking payment! Finally!

Edit: posted too soon - when I tried to do select a seat, it froze and forced me to restart the browser.
Old May 19, 16, 4:38 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Mauricio23 View Post
It allows you to select seats and see the cost of preferred seats before actually taking payment! Finally!

Edit: posted too soon - when I tried to do select a seat, it froze and forced me to restart the browser.
It's the thought that counts.
Old May 19, 16, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mauricio23 View Post

This is a thoughtful feature. Avoids the need to buy and refund-if-not-happy-with-seat-selection-cost.

It worked for me, got to payment screen for a YVR-YYZ test. I guess this means only one CC charge instead of two.

I never would have noticed this as, either I had SE status, or Latitude and Business include complimentary seat selection. But I think this is a welcomed change.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: