Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Super Elite suspended; lawsuit filed but amicably settled out of court

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Pertinent details/events/articles:
Print Wikipost

Super Elite suspended; lawsuit filed but amicably settled out of court

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by skybluesea
and you have evidence such as case precedent to support this assertion- please share then
I’m sure you’ll find that large companies are reluctant to have these one-sided clauses tested in court. That goes for large companies in any industry, not just aviation. Which is exactly why consumer protection laws are in effect in so many industries from banking to telecommunications.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and you have evidence such as case precedent to support this assertion- please share then

and AC clearly is making use of future and unknown IRROPS at time of sale that has reasonable effort test with pre- agreed compensation in ticket contract to enforce unilateral cancellation- I see no difference to land lease example offered
To the extent that the IRROPS is the fault of the airline no it's not the case.

And no, I have no evidence. But neither do I have evidence of say AC using the clause to cancel and refund when the passenger insists there is a contract in place that AC tries to get out of unilaterally. Like quite often in uneven fine print slipped under your nose that you have no way to disagree with, large organizations often do their best to void testing in court. Like hidden city as another example which as far as I know has not been tested anywhere, bullying letters nonetheless.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Agree, AC has no place in law to cancel unilaterally without specific cause so the fine print does not really matter

and when reasonable efforts fail, cancellation is authorized. yet, what is reasonable- we hear winter stories on this Forum of long taxi / bus / ferry rides paid by AC when flying / ops conditions preclude reasonable flying but tickets are NOT cancelled

in this case WONG is not claiming AC has denied transportation service, but is claiming denial of access to supplemental service that the tariff specifically defines as excluded.

what will be interesting if this gets very far, and certainly could affect many of us, whether a judge sides with Air Canada that a hobbyist should know the tariff, or with a hobbyist be able to successfully argue that I did not understand the tariff and thus should not apply to me as the application was unreasonable- and most importantly, in this particular circumstance only
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The perks of the altitude program has nothing to do with the tariff.

Invalidating one line item of a contract will not change the conditions of the rest of the contract, let alone unrelated contracts.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The perks of the altitude program has nothing to do with the tariff.

Invalidating one line item of a contract will not change the conditions of the rest of the contract, let alone unrelated contracts.
Well, maybe we are reading different versions of the Tariff.

Might the legally accomplished among us can parse this tariff text for us

Sec 30 - Class of Service
Certain complimentary products and services are offered depending on class of service or fare brand purchased, such as separate check-in, in-flight entertainment, use of headsets/player, reading material, meals, beverages (some alcoholic), etc. These products and services are amenities and their availability is not guaranteed. No compensation will be offered for their unavailability, including for unavailability of in-flight entertainment and choice of meal.

If I recall correctly from my Administrative Law courses long ago, a term "such as" is broadly defined and AC could easily assert that it includes NOT just services in the air but those on the ground e.g. separate check-in. And since access to the MLL is widely advertised as a feature of purchasing Signature Service, can someone explain, legally speaking, that in fact access to the MLL is therefore subject to the Tariff conditions, writ large...

ps...let;s NOT forget that the YYZ Signature Suite is only accessible by J range tickets, without EXCEPTION, and thus Altitude has NO bearing on this amenity, which in reading Sec 30 above, AC could say to any traveler, sorry, suite is closed and here is voucher for McDs in the terminal...

maybe NOT so customer service oriented, but reading SEC 30 cannot see a different interpretation, but let's have some legal expertise weigh in.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and when reasonable efforts fail, cancellation is authorized. yet, what is reasonable- we hear winter stories on this Forum of long taxi / bus / ferry rides paid by AC when flying / ops conditions preclude reasonable flying but tickets are NOT cancelled
The contract merely guarantees getting you to destination. Needs not be flying.

Mind you they never gave me a bus or cab ride. However once, in his student's days, my son ended up going from YYZ to Kingston on a bus chartered by AC. After they put him at a hotel at YYZ, even though the issue was weather. All of this on an AE reward.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
The contract merely guarantees getting you to destination. Needs not be flying.
No, the contract does NOT say that. An involuntary cancellation provision exists, so AirCanada does not have to get you to the destination if reasonable efforts have been made to no fruition
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the contract does NOT say that. An involuntary cancellation provision exists, so AirCanada does not have to get you to the destination if reasonable efforts have been made to no fruition
I was talking about flying vs. bus.

However I continue believing that the involuntary cancellation provision that's in the tariffs would be enforceable in court. Of course that would require (1) an event and (2) the victim to take an airline to court.

I am not even sure that airlines even make use of it. Might well be good enough from their perspective that the wording is there. And that people take it at face value.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:45 pm

Sec 30 - Class of Service
Certain complimentary products and services are offered depending on class of service or fare brand purchased, such as separate check-in, in-flight entertainment, use of headsets/player, reading material, meals, beverages (some alcoholic), etc. These products and services are amenities and their availability is not guaranteed. No compensation will be offered for their unavailability, including for unavailability of in-flight entertainment and choice of meal.
Status also gets you into the MLL, not (only) fare class. MLL access is subject to the MLL t&c.

That list is about flying & checking in.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
I was talking about flying vs. bus.

However I continue believing that the involuntary cancellation provision that's in the tariffs would be enforceable in court. Of course that would require (1) an event and (2) the victim to take an airline to court.

I am not even sure that airlines even make use of it. Might well be good enough from their perspective that the wording is there. And that people take it at face value.
I think we are in agreement as yes vs bus, and the provision of involuntary cancellation appears NOT to have much application.

However, unless you have a legal conviction that provision is unenforceable, might others with legal expertise comment ...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Status also gets you into the MLL, not (only) fare class. MLL access is subject to the MLL t&c.

That list is about flying & checking in.
NO, the tariff says "such as" - this is an inclusive statement that permits AC to define what is and is NOT included.

my question here to those with legal perspectives to assess whether based on the terms of sale of Signature Class product, which includes MLL access, do the words in Tariff permit denial of service for amenities...

I would agree that it would be clearer that the amenity list was exhaustive, but I suppose a legal perspective would say best to be vague...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:05 pm
Suspended

para. 42 of Wong claim says that intentionally purchased fares that included MLL access...well, if this is the case, and in fact the MLL is part of Sec 30...and I await a definitive legal perspective, then absolutely the Tariff provisions apply which includes denial of access without redress.

However, Wong also in this section says on other occasions was entitled to MLL access because of status - in this case I would agree that Altitude rules apply ONLY>

So before folks decide whether Tariff or Altitude rules apply, para 51 of the claim does NOT specify which kind of ticket WONG was using that particular day on Jan 16, and thus NONE of us know what set of rules governed WONG entry to the MLL that day.

As few legal folks on this Forum have pointed out, would appear that vagueness of the wording will require considerable interpretation and effort by solicitors to make their case on either side.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:15 pm

While open ended lists in contracts are open, they are open to the context. The tariff is about flying. The list would be interpreted with respect to flying. Cabin service is not ground service.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
The list would be interpreted with respect to flying.
Please be careful with operating under this assumption. No one here can make that decision other than a judge. Both sides may plead their case but one should not operate under firm assumptions as that in the eyes of the law.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
IANAL but one would assume if argued in court that in cases where WONG purchased fares that included access to the MLL, he should have been entitled to access to the MLL regardless of whether he had status or not, subject to availability of the service (ie, it being open and functioning). If WONG purchased fares that did not include it, he would require access via other means (ie status, purchase of MLL pass, etc).

If AC was involuntarily denying WONG access to something he paid for as part of their implied offering, that's way different than pulling a published membership offering at any time.

But that's just my layman's reading.
skybluesea and longtimeflyin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.