Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Super Elite suspended; lawsuit filed but amicably settled out of court

Super Elite suspended; lawsuit filed but amicably settled out of court

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 24, 18, 7:07 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: canadiancow
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Jun 23, 18, 8:23 pm
  #586  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,907
You both need to re-read that post, because the message was very clear, but it went way over both your heads.
tinchote likes this.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jun 23, 18, 8:25 pm
  #587  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: AC
Posts: 2,167
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You both need to re-read that post, because the message was very clear, but it went way over both your heads.
I had thought that my reputation preceded me when it comes to dry humour without the need for emoticons. Forgive me, I've spent my day discussing the nuances of law that I could not resist taking a shot at someone who clearly meant pursuer when he meant pursuer.
longtimeflyin is offline  
Old Jun 23, 18, 8:47 pm
  #588  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,907
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
I had thought that my reputation preceded me when it comes to dry humour without the need for emoticons. Forgive me, I've spent my day discussing the nuances of law that I could not resist taking a shot at someone who clearly meant pursuer when he meant pursuer.
I think you mean "purser".
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jun 23, 18, 9:21 pm
  #589  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 2,330
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
You both need to re-read that post, because the message was very clear, but it went way over both your heads.
Guess I'll have to wait for you or @j2simpso to enlighten me because I just re-read it and still can't tell if it was supposed to be a joke. (Yes, I saw the emoji, but that's not necessarily a guarantee.)
capedreamer is online now  
Old Jun 23, 18, 10:42 pm
  #590  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, Marriott PLT, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 9,457
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
I understand that you have a stronger than average legal comprehension than the average Joe (no offense to the average Joe); however, like it often is said the devil is in the details, and I would offer my friendly suggestion to read who and what I am quoting in my responses otherwise we risk losing the general readership of this friendly board.
In that case - I rest my case (Beside - we can't come to an agreement anyway...)
longtimeflyin likes this.
garykung is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 12:28 am
  #591  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Programs: United Gold, BA Exec Club, Via Rail
Posts: 2,562
Just to clarify that was a joke. I also meant purser not pursuer (damn Mac spell correction!)

To be perfectly honest, I avoid AC flights on principle since I don't believe in paying for seat assignments or upgrades when UA will offer it to me for free or for ToD! Perhaps AC's Altitude FF program in 2020 will correct these oversights - only time will tell!

Safe Travels,

James
capedreamer likes this.
j2simpso is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 1:53 am
  #592  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 78,747
What's this about? Are you accusing Mr. Wong of being a self upgrader and assuming that this is why his AC status was suspended?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 2:01 am
  #593  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 78,747
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Thought I'd chime in with a guess before seeing the actual reason (lawsuit looks like it's serious!):

Using self-upgrades instead of eUpgrades to sponsor yourself to the front of the cabin. I've tried that a couple times and when the pursuer comes questions me I say, "I thought that's how eUpgrades work!"
This is the post that I meant to quote in my post just above. Sorry.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 9:32 am
  #594  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 12,671
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
However, the records provided by AC show that's not the case at all.Looking at the log AC provided it doesn't seem too crazy, maybe 4-6 times per year. I'm sure some of us on FT have had the unfortunate situation of arriving to the airport waiting to board a flight only to find out that a meeting has been cancelled rendering the whole trip pointless. I bet if we compiled a similar log for frequent travellers like ua1flyer, we'll see similar (if not more frequent) patterns of last minute flight changes and cancellations at the lounge. Heck, NH has a desk in the lounge @ NRT with a dedicated agent to make changes to your flight!
The only time this frequent flyer has ever gone to the lounge then cancelled my flight was a one-day trip where the outbound flight was delayed due to weather roughly until my return flight was supposed to depart. Obviously YMMV.

I wonder if AC might be able to tie Eric's visits to lounge and subsequent flight cancellations to certain other perhaps out-of-town travellers also having been in the lounge at the same time.
DrunkCargo and longtimeflyin like this.
The Lev is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 9:54 am
  #595  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 2,330
Originally Posted by j2simpso View Post
Just to clarify that was a joke. I also meant purser not pursuer (damn Mac spell correction!)

To be perfectly honest, I avoid AC flights on principle since I don't believe in paying for seat assignments or upgrades when UA will offer it to me for free or for ToD! Perhaps AC's Altitude FF program in 2020 will correct these oversights - only time will tell!

Safe Travels,

James
Thanks for clarifying. Can be difficult to convey / interpret humour on the internet.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What's this about? Are you accusing Mr. Wong of being a self upgrader and assuming that this is why his AC status was suspended?
​​​​​​​I was similarly confused. See response above.
capedreamer is online now  
Old Jun 24, 18, 10:55 am
  #596  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 6,110
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
The only time this frequent flyer has ever gone to the lounge then cancelled my flight was a one-day trip where the outbound flight was delayed due to weather roughly until my return flight was supposed to depart. Obviously YMMV.

I wonder if AC might be able to tie Eric's visits to lounge and subsequent flight cancellations to certain other perhaps out-of-town travellers also having been in the lounge at the same time.

I wonder if Air Canada is able to track the number of MLLs they have.

Have you heard about their website?
Twickenham and canadiancow like this.
KenHamer is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 1:39 pm
  #597  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Posts: 4,130
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
That is actually offensive, and I'm so sick of AC prying into my life that I'm going to divulge information right now that I'd much rather not.

I fly AC out of SFO all the time. A large portion of the staff know me.

"Mr. Kennedy, why are you going to Montreal instead of Toronto?"

I think I've been asked that four times today.

Guess what. None of your freaking business. But since I keep getting drilled about it, my grandmother died. I'm going to her funeral.

Why the hell should I be required to divulge that? I shouldn't. But I've been asked by numerous employees of Air Canada today. Because just booking a flight isn't acceptable. You need a "valid" reason for every voluntary booking/change/cancellation you make.
​​​​
.
Surely, any of the following would work:

1. Personal matter.
2. Family emergency
3. Just to change it up.
4. Just for a visit.

Why get so touchy about someone asking a question you really don't want to answer? . Just deflect it.

Sometimes when I go to a different office and someone asks "What bring you here today", I simply answer "My car". Believe me, despite asking the question, they really are not that interested in getting the answer.
yytleisure and Fiordland like this.
mapleg is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 2:33 pm
  #598  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHL, NYC, DC
Posts: 9,434
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
The only time this frequent flyer has ever gone to the lounge then cancelled my flight was a one-day trip where the outbound flight was delayed due to weather roughly until my return flight was supposed to depart. Obviously YMMV.

I wonder if AC might be able to tie Eric's visits to lounge and subsequent flight cancellations to certain other perhaps out-of-town travellers also having been in the lounge at the same time.
WX, boss went cold feet, boss started questioning their own ego, client decided to change meeting last minute..........

Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
Surely, any of the following would work:

1. Personal matter.
2. Family emergency
3. Just to change it up.
4. Just for a visit.

Why get so touchy about someone asking a question you really don't want to answer? . Just deflect it.

Sometimes when I go to a different office and someone asks "What bring you here today", I simply answer "My car". Believe me, despite asking the question, they really are not that interested in getting the answer.
Normally it doesn't bother me, except a few lounge dragons that like to interrogate and act like they are customs
(i.e. why did Mrs GHT come to the lounge later? Where do you both work? Why did Mrs GHT drop you off so early? Why can't you take alternative transportation?)
tinchote and canadiancow like this.
global happy traveller is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 2:40 pm
  #599  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,907
Originally Posted by The Lev View Post
The only time this frequent flyer has ever gone to the lounge then cancelled my flight was a one-day trip where the outbound flight was delayed due to weather roughly until my return flight was supposed to depart. Obviously YMMV.

I wonder if AC might be able to tie Eric's visits to lounge and subsequent flight cancellations to certain other perhaps out-of-town travellers also having been in the lounge at the same time.
Originally Posted by mapleg View Post
Surely, any of the following would work:

1. Personal matter.
2. Family emergency
3. Just to change it up.
4. Just for a visit.

Why get so touchy about someone asking a question you really don't want to answer? . Just deflect it.

Sometimes when I go to a different office and someone asks "What bring you here today", I simply answer "My car". Believe me, despite asking the question, they really are not that interested in getting the answer.
And deflection often works. Except for when it doesn't. Eric's filing describes one such instance.

I've certainly encountered the same.

Originally Posted by global happy traveller View Post
Normally it doesn't bother me, except a few lounge dragons that like to interrogate and act like they are customs
(i.e. why did Mrs GHT come to the lounge later? Where do you both work? Why did Mrs GHT drop you off so early? Why can't you take alternative transportation?)
Exactly. Not common, but when it happens, there's just no getting out of it.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Jun 24, 18, 2:50 pm
  #600  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Vancouver
Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,067
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
And deflection often works. Except for when it doesn't. Eric's filing describes one such instance.

I've certainly encountered the same.


Exactly. Not common, but when it happens, there's just no getting out of it.
Perhaps they are trying to build a relationship with a frequent flyer to better understand their customer and be proactive in serving his/her needs and making their customer fell welcomed.
Fiordland is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread