Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Super Elite suspended; lawsuit filed but amicably settled out of court

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Pertinent details/events/articles:
Print Wikipost

Super Elite suspended; lawsuit filed but amicably settled out of court

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Are you missing the way 2018 was spelled in the entry you quoted?
LOL- ohh- maybe I have a reading problem.....Even after several reads, I did not see it....but of course now that I focus on it I see it clearly- thanks....

I guess I may be a 'big-picture' person...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ffsim

I expect this is what’ll happen, but it would definitely be more popcorn-worthy if it actually went to trial.
if it does, can we have a do there and sit in the gallery?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Sometimes formal action is what gets these things addressed. AC has no choice but to either file a notice of intention to defend, followed by a statement of defense, or ignore it, in which case he can bring a request for Summary Judgement. I doubt AC would want that --- they will fight this one.
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
A motion for summary judgement in this case is incredibly unlikely to be approved by the courts. This is 1) a relatively complex matter and 2) the costs consequences for Mr. Wong is he loses the summary judgement are pretty significant. Right now, if things proceed through the judicial manner in the traditional process, it would appear that Mr. Wong's legal costs, at least on a partial if not substantial basis, may be reimbursed. If he proceeds with a motion for summary judgement, the risk of paying his own legal fees on top of Air Canada's becomes much larger. Costs aside, I highly doubt a judge will allow this case to be "tried" through summary judgement.
This case won't go for summary judgment.

This case is not really complex. But instead there is a genuine issue requiring trial - Plaintiff claimed "several occasions" cancelling the travel in the last minute. How many times exactly? If AC was on a witch hunt, then yes - AC should be liable. However, if the number was excessive enough, the Court may not side with Plaintiff as Plaintiff could be seen as bad faith.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by garykung
This case won't go for summary judgment.

This case is not really complex. But instead there is a genuine issue requiring trial - Plaintiff claimed "several occasions" cancelling the travel in the last minute. How many times exactly? If AC was on a witch hunt, then yes - AC should be liable. However, if the number was excessive enough, the Court may not side with Plaintiff as Plaintiff could be seen as bad faith.
But what number matters? The absolute number? I believe they alleged 5 or 6 cases. To a FOTSG, that's insanely high. To someone who took 150 flights that year, half of which were also BOOKED at the last minute, it's not actually a very high relative number.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
And I can tell you in 2011/2012 I called in and rebook flights at least 10 times for later flights in the day (sometimes multiple times) due to meetings getting delayed.

Only diff was I didn't do it after getting to the lounge. It's not like AC doesn't see this happening. Someone was on a witch hunt.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by The Lev
I'm trying to infer that normally in a civil suit the claimant has a hard time compelling the defendant to provide evidence/data that might be helpful to the claimant and detrimental to the defendant. ("You have the right to remain silent" and all that good stuff from US law).

66: True and that will almost certainly be an important part of the overall case - if AC wants those clauses to stick they will have to show that the clauses are reasonable and that they acted in a reasonable manner. But all of that is irrelevant to point 66 because in point 66 the claim was made that the risk of losing Altitude status and implication on "value" of the points earned therefrom was not explicitly listed in EYW.
76-79: True and if he filed suit purely to access the information, he might well have succeeded. However now that it forms part of a much broader lawsuit, it may be a different story.
In that case a subpoena is quite handy. Discovery is always an issue and a judge may well order AC to hand over information that they don't want to and if they don't they will ultimately pay the price. I disagree with you that discovery usually is all that challenging once the case proceeds to the conference stage. Parties may be reluctant but that is what the judge is there to assist with during various case and or settlement conferences. I highly doubt AC would still deny the plaintiff the information a judge has ordered, and at the very least at the trial management conference all pertinent info would be disclosed and exchanged. It'll probably also be settled at that point if not shortly right before trial.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But what number matters? The absolute number? I believe they alleged 5 or 6 cases. To a FOTSG, that's insanely high. To someone who took 150 flights that year, half of which were also BOOKED at the last minute, it's not actually a very high relative number.
It will be up to the Court to decide. Hence, a genuine issue for trial.

But IMHO - relativity is not what AC relies on. Don't forget - regardless of classes, each last-minute cancelled ticket harms airlines financially. While I agree that this is definitely a classic AC screw-up, it does not mean Plaintiff is not completely correct.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:48 pm

It will be up to the Court to decide. Hence, a genuine issue for trial.

But IMHO - relativity is not what AC relies on. Don't forget - regardless of classes, each last-minute cancelled ticket harms airlines financially. While I agree that this is definitely a classic AC screw-up, it does not mean Plaintiff is not completely correct.
There isn't much harm I can see (excluding the actual cost of a lounge visit ) from cancelling last minute unless the flight was full.

And I doubt AC would want to set a precedent that cancelling refundable tickets will get your status revoked.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
There isn't much harm I can see (excluding the actual cost of a lounge visit ) from cancelling last minute unless the flight was full.

And I doubt AC would want to set a precedent that cancelling refundable tickets will get your status revoked.
Perhaps AC should apply a $25 cancellation fee to anyone who cancels a flight after checking into the lounge. Given that’s what they seem to consider lounge access is worth on a Lat fare.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:55 pm
Suspended

But IMHO - relativity is not what AC relies on. Don't forget - regardless of classes, each last-minute cancelled ticket harms airlines financially.
And airlines mitigate this by overbooking, and AC charges a premium for these fully refundable fares. Airlines also do benefit from the same scenario that you are articulating to show that the airline in question suffers a loss.

I agree with you that on this topic alone it is a genuine issue best decided at trial.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jc94

Perhaps AC should apply a $25 cancellation fee to anyone who cancels a flight after checking into the lounge. Given that’s what they seem to consider lounge access is worth on a Lat fare.
What is your flight is delayed 3 hours? 1 hour? 30 minutes? Mechanical? Weather?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
What is your flight is delayed 3 hours? 1 hour? 30 minutes? Mechanical? Weather?
This would only apply to flights that ended up leaving on time, without delays ever being posted But I have no faith AC could implement this.

I was only half serious. I have no idea why AC has such an issue with this given the cost to them is pretty negligible especially against someone spending at least $10k and in most cases $20k minimum. Excluding whatever doesn’t count for AQD these days.

Last edited by jc94; Jun 21, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jc94

This would only apply to flights that ended up leaving on time, without delays ever being posted But I have no faith AC could implement this.

I was only half serious. I have no idea why AC has such an issue with this given the cost to them is pretty negligible especially against someone spending at least $10k and in most cases $20k minimum. Excluding whatever doesn’t count for AQD these days.
It is without a doubt a safe bet to say that AC felt that their actions were pretty fair given the fact that they chose to go after a pretty prolific and well known poster on FT, and this is a board that their employees frequent on a regular basis, and at one point, their executives did as well. I second the Do suggestion if this gets to trial, although if I were a betting man, I would say this gets settled within the next month.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I do not share the same shock and horror as some. I read the filing as the usual over the top embellishment of facts common to claims.
A few items stick out for me;
- Plaintiff alleges that he was "detained" in the lounge, yet he was free to go any time he wished as he was not physically restrained.
- Plaintiff will have to prove that he sustained damage. Good luck on trying to prove that on a "bonus" program. These type of complaints go back to the grocery store trading stamp programs of the 1950's. The claims back then were dismissed and I don't think much has changed since then.
- I had a chuckle at the plaintiff occupation: IT . I was expecting something like that. or perhaps, community organizer/activist.. Sorry to say, but I expect that there will be a lot of eye rolling and laughter at the law firms and at AC.
- The plaintiff is not going to get sympathy or support from the majority of AC customers who are not SE and who are not hobby flyers. From our perspective, we pay for ur tickets and collect our AP miles with the intent of cashing them in. We can't do it when we want to because guys like the plaintiff are gaming the system. Yes, I get it, AC encourages it, but it's the gamers who keep us regular folk from redeeming our points on reasonable schedules. I see him as someone who got caught playing the system and working the rules to get an advantage.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
It is without a doubt a safe bet to say that AC felt that their actions were pretty fair given the fact that they chose to go after a pretty prolific and well known poster on FT, and this is a board that their employees frequent on a regular basis, and at one point, their executives did as well. I second the Do suggestion if this gets to trial, although if I were a betting man, I would say this gets settled within the next month.
Really?

This is the same airline that told a passenger at YVR that it was physically impossible for him to be there so they off-loaded him from the connecting flight to YYJ (I think - might have been Whitehorse.) Notwithstanding they admitted in court they had no way to track who was on a flight an who wasn't, notwithstanding the passenger had a BoB receipt with the date and flight number on it, and notwithstanding he really, actually was in YVR, they went to court insisting he was not actually on the flight from YYZ to YVR.

I think AC knows it screwed up here, but is so pig-headed they refuse to acknowledge it. They then hoped if they resisted long enough the passenger would, like most, give up.

I commend the passenger for seeing it through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.