Premium Economy Cheaper than Economy

Old Jan 20, 16, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Premium Economy Cheaper than Economy

I have a bit of a strange dilemma. A route that I'm booking prices out slightly cheaper with the AC leg in Premium Economy rather than Economy. The problem is that my partner will be joining me on that leg (different flights on the other legs) and it would cost us a lot more to book her in Premium Economy rather than Economy.

So, we obviously want to sit together. And I'd much rather join her in Economy than both of us be separated: as it is a really long flight. But, my question is: if I book Premium Economy, would it be a problem for AC to seat me in Economy (at the time of booking rather than at the airport). Or will I actually have to pay more to be guaranteed an Economy seat next to her?

Thanks for any advice
Old Jan 20, 16, 6:36 am

Programs: AC E75K
I think you can book PY and there is a good chance the person sitting next to your partner in Y will be more than happy to be offered an upgrade when you will ask for a seat swap!
Old Jan 20, 16, 6:45 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Why not get your brownie points by buying the PE seat, and letting her sit there
while you sit in the back in her seat?
Old Jan 20, 16, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Why not get your brownie points by buying the PE seat, and letting her sit there
while you sit in the back in her seat?
Mostly because we'd like to sit together. And I'm worried about the leaving it to the last minute strategy: in case she is next to a family or something that really want to stay together.
Old Jan 20, 16, 11:04 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
If it's that important then pay extra to guarantee you'll sit in a lower class of service. Personally, I'd pay the cheaper PY fare and bet that the person sitting next to her in Y will jump all over a free upgrade.
Old Jan 20, 16, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by somedude3210 View Post
If it's that important then pay extra to guarantee you'll sit in a lower class of service. Personally, I'd pay the cheaper PY fare and bet that the person sitting next to her in Y will jump all over a free upgrade.
I'd pay extra to guarantee us both in PY
Old Jan 20, 16, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I'd pay extra to guarantee us both in PY
Haha you're right, that is a much better option.

I guess, from OP's wording as PY being "slightly cheaper" for him and "a lot more" for her, I inferred that him sitting in Y was the only thing considered rather than both being in PY.
Old Jan 20, 16, 1:58 pm

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Isn't PY usually 1.5X - 3X the TANGO price ?
Old Jan 20, 16, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jack Jia View Post
Isn't PY usually 1.5X - 3X the TANGO price ?
The word "usually" has no place in a sentence about airfare prices.
Old Jan 20, 16, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Ain't that the truth.

I'm looking at YVR-LHR. In some cases, PE is lower than Flex. In other cases it's the other way around. Also, in some cases, flexible PE is 3x or more than non-flexible. Another strange thing is the incremental cost to include BA segments on an AC ticket. Sometimes there is no differential to separate tickets. In other cases, it's 2x or 3x. Go figure.
Old Jan 20, 16, 8:46 pm

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Yeah -- I've seen low biz for $1 more than Flex on YEG-PTY (and it wasn't a mistake fare...and I don't think it was MHD).
Old Jan 21, 16, 3:29 am

Programs: AC*E
I'm reminded of someone from this forum's signature (drawing a blank here, this is from many years ago) which said something along the lines of "airfares are the only thing which increase in price the closer they get to their expiry date." They said it more eloquently, but that's the gist.
Old Jan 21, 16, 3:33 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by YEGcg View Post
Yeah -- I've seen low biz for $1 more than Flex on YEG-PTY (and it wasn't a mistake fare...and I don't think it was MHD).
Or low biz for less than Latitude, sometimes even Flex. I've seen this to the Caribbean at times. It does make sense though, as one is paying for the flexibility instead of cabin (and can upgrade right away too).

Search this Thread