Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Best options for booking YVR-NRT + ICN->YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS

Hi all,

Looking at booking a vacation to Japan and South Korea in July (specifically July 4-18). I've found what I think to be "good" rates on direct flights in and out of YVR but wanted to see if I was missing anything.

* July 4 - AC3 - $1433 in PY $1373 in Flex (PY seems to be a no-brainer). J was $1800 but is now $2800.
* July 18 - AC64 - $1212 in PY and $1824 in J. The extra for J seems well worth it to me on this route.

This works out to about $3200 return (PY + J) which seems reasonable. Do the prices on these routes fluctuate much?

I can use 20k Aeroplan points for a flight between HND and GMP which also seems reasonable to me (in Y).

This would be the first time my wife and I have gone to Japan and Korea, so any tips with these routes would be helpful.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
You could do the whole trip on Aeroplan if you have enough points (YVR-NRT/HND-GMP/ICN-YVR). Worth checking.

I flew the two routes in J recently. Did NH YVR-HND and then AC ICN-YVR. Both were on 787s. Not sure about NH PE but their J was not as good as AC's hard product (not lay flat); soft product was excellent, as one would expect from NH.
The only direct Star Alliance flight back from ICN is on AC so would definitely go for that and the J price seems good in comparison. It's 787 so it's the new J, which is very nice.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
You could do the whole trip on Aeroplan if you have enough points (YVR-NRT/HND-GMP/ICN-YVR). Worth checking.
I did look at this - I don't have enough points for the RT (for 2 people), but could do 2 one-ways (i.e. YVR->NRT). Unfortunately the return price is very high when not booked as a RT. I also looked at booking 1 RT on AP and 1 with cash, and could not get flights to line up that made sense.

There was a nice F redemption on ANA through LAX, but again that left me with a very expensive 1-way return.

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
AC ICN-YVR. Both were on 787s. Not sure about NH PE but their J was not as good as AC's hard product (not lay flat); soft product was excellent, as one would expect from NH.
The only direct Star Alliance flight back from ICN is on AC so would definitely go for that and the J price seems good in comparison. It's 787 so it's the new J, which is very nice.
I've flow the 787 J on PLH a couple of times from YYZ, but have never flown international J. I saw the NH hard product and agree it didn't look as nice, but I expect the service would be excellent.

I'm thinking of saving the points for an F redemption elsewhere next year, so will probably end up paying for this trip (which is fine).
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Hi all,

Looking at booking a vacation to Japan and South Korea in July (specifically July 4-18). I've found what I think to be "good" rates on direct flights in and out of YVR but wanted to see if I was missing anything.

* July 4 - AC3 - $1433 in PY $1373 in Flex (PY seems to be a no-brainer). J was $1800 but is now $2800.
* July 18 - AC64 - $1212 in PY and $1824 in J. The extra for J seems well worth it to me on this route.

This works out to about $3200 return (PY + J) which seems reasonable. Do the prices on these routes fluctuate much?

I can use 20k Aeroplan points for a flight between HND and GMP which also seems reasonable to me (in Y).

This would be the first time my wife and I have gone to Japan and Korea, so any tips with these routes would be helpful.

I have done this routing many times. $1800 is the usual price I pay for the return flight. To bad you missed this fare. If you do book the flight, buy the Japan to South Korea flight in Asia. The price is usually cheaper.

Last edited by Wpgjetse; Jan 17, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: *$ Green
YUL-HND prices are horrible across the board on AC this year

$1800 is good imho. It's what I can get on JAL from east coast.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:32 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
You can buy the whole ticket in business for 3700$ and not use your 20,000 aeroplan miles. Or better yet the out bound as far as GMP in business and return in PY is $3085.00. Better to arrive more refreshed to start you holiday by flying to NRT in J if you ask me.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Check with a few travel agents who can put together good deals using wholesale prices. You are in YVR and there are tons of travel agents who can get you good deal for trans-Pacific especially multiply stops.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
You can buy the whole ticket in business for 3700$ and not use your 20,000 aeroplan miles. Or better yet the out bound as far as GMP in business and return in PY is $3085.00. Better to arrive more refreshed to start you holiday by flying to NRT in J if you ask me.
Agree completely. This is actually what I wanted to do until I noticed the NRT fare went from $1800 to $2800. Your reply was very helpful - I searched for a combined 3-flight itinerary on Google Flights and found the $3085 fare with the NH flight between HND and GMP. This is cheaper than I was going to pay without the connection for PY + J.

Now to ping my TA to see if it can be booked...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:42 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by Spot planes
Check with a few travel agents who can put together good deals using wholesale prices.
Watch your ADQ here

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Your reply was very helpful - I searched for a combined 3-flight itinerary on Google Flights and found the $3085 fare with the NH flight between HND and GMP. This is cheaper than I was going to pay without the connection for PY + J.
You are welcome... AC.com is never a good idea for premium fares with interlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.