Wiki Posts
Search

Best pod selection - 763

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 25k
Best pod selection - 763

First time flying J on a 763 (or any wide body). Just wondering what seat to select.

It's a red-eye so I intend on sleeping through the flight. I usually prefer 1F/1K - front of the plane with window to my right but since it's a pod I don't think those preferences would stand. Would the middle be darker? Sides quieter?

Any advice?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YQMYMM
First time flying J on a 763 (or any wide body). Just wondering what seat to select.

It's a red-eye so I intend on sleeping through the flight. I usually prefer 1F/1K - front of the plane with window to my right but since it's a pod I don't think those preferences would stand. Would the middle be darker? Sides quieter?

Any advice?
The only 763 redeye I am aware of (non TPAC/TATL) is 146 YYC YYZ.
Aside from the pig rigs (yes, derogatory) that may hoot and holler during the flight (I have stories to post on FT when I feel up to it), if you want maximum dark, then I would say middle row 1. Row 8 has extra storage space but you are close to Y and sometimes there are Y pax who have their baggage stowed in the overhead bins above row 7 and 8... which is generally ok, but what sucks is the occassional Y pax who comes into J to get their stuff mid-flight (for whatever reason) and it often is distracting and might disturb one from their sleep.

Row 1 on the 763 means potential FIFO. Row 1 footwells are a bit smaller than the other XM pods on the 763.

Not sure what else I can say... I like getting the 763's with the air nozzles... because there are several that don't have them and it can get hot in the cabin.

Last edited by yyznomad; Jan 14, 2016 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Which route are you flying on?

Many TATL overnight flights in 763's. I can't say I find quality or ease of sleep noticeably different in any particular seat. I wouldn't be right at the back or right of the front of the cabin to mnimise disturbance from the galley or the Peons in Y.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Agreed with AtlanticXpat... just do row 1 if you don't value the extra storage space with row 8 like I do.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

It's on AC 146, YYC-YYZ, 1F was taken so I went with 2F.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the advice!

It's on AC 146, YYC-YYZ, 1F was taken so I went with 2F.
Ha! I was right! I get the grand boomba prize.

Yeah, I would personally go with 2F given you criteria and existing constraints.

Don't be shocked if you hear rig pigs shouting out loud for the FA to sit on their lap. I kid you not. That's why their termed as "pig rigs'. Yes, it's totally derogatory and deservedly so.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: AC E50, NEXUS

Any advice?
I was just on a 763 to Istanbul and back.
On the way there in 2K. On the way back in 6A.
A is the side you want to be on. Much more private as you have a wall to your right not other passengers.
Sitting in K (or F) you're orientated facing a couple of strangers the entire flight.
Have a good flight!
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ha! I was right! I get the grand boomba prize.

Yeah, I would personally go with 2F given you criteria and existing constraints.

Don't be shocked if you hear rig pigs shouting out loud for the FA to sit on their lap. I kid you not. That's why their termed as "pig rigs'. Yes, it's totally derogatory and deservedly so.
I work in the oil industry, I know what to expect from my colleagues (yes, I agree some can be very offensive). I only hope you recognize that some of us are well mannered and polite.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Futura
A is the side you want to be on. Much more private as you have a wall to your right not other passengers.
Sitting in K (or F) you're orientated facing a couple of strangers the entire flight.
Have a good flight!
Thanks for the input! I'll try 2F for this red-eye, if I fly one during the day I will definitely keep in mind to take an A seat.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie

Any advice?
Row 8 - any seat. They are the most private classic pods and have some extra storage space. I prefer 8A though, because it is a single row of seats with guaranteed storage, quicker service, and you're faster off the plane.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AC - SE100K
Originally Posted by YVR72
Row 8 - any seat. They are the most private classic pods and have some extra storage space. I prefer 8A though, because it is a single row of seats with guaranteed storage, quicker service, and you're faster off the plane.
As I've mentioned a few times in other threads, use caution in Row 8 if you are 6'4"+...

The bulkhead behind the seat means the total length of the pod is slightly shorter than the other seats. I'm 6'7" and every inch helps.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Futura
Have a good flight!
Very definitely the A side for all these reasons, plus the service is often horseshoe from 8A (or 9A where it still exists), and lots more overhead since you basically have the choice from both sides with no centre seat (remembering they are the smaller bins which only take classic carry-ons sideways).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I wouldn't take row 8 on a red-eye, because there's no galley between J and Y.

My preference for a red-eye would be:
1A
2A
3A
4A
See where I'm going with this?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I wouldn't take row 8 on a red-eye, because there's no galley between J and Y.

My preference for a red-eye would be:
1A
2A
3A
4A
See where I'm going with this?
So that's why all the A seats are already gone for this flight, will most F and all K still available.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So that's why all the A seats are already gone for this flight, will most F and all K still available.
F and K face each other.

A faces a wall.

Unless you're flying with someone, I would never take F/K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.