Search

Flight Pass Shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
Flight Pass Shenanigans

Hi Folks:

Maybe someone can help me out I have a Latitude Western Canada - Europe flight pass. I want to go to YXE - YYC - FRA (quickest routing). I can book this route via AC (and I can see it when I search Google flights), but its not bookable with a Flight Pass. I've been told two things today from AC:

1. Just book a route (YXE-YYZ-FRA for example) on your flight pass and call in and we'll change it to the desired YXE-YYC-FRA route as there is an issue with the some routings in Flight Passes.
2. The YXE-YYC-FRA is not valid and theres nothing we can do about it. Of course, I got this message as I'm trying to change the route.

I've had several European flight passes before and have never had a problem getting the route I wanted - especially if its a route that can be purchased via AC channels.

Anyone had this issue before? Any input on how to resolve?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The current "policy" is not to allow any routing changes that are not offered on the web interface, because of "abuse".

A same day change at the airport may work, if reservations won't do it.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
As a general rule, now, they will only do routes that are offered online. If you get an Agent willing to do what you want (because it is logical) then that's a great win for you! But don't expect it if it's not offered on the flight pass website.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*100K MM, HHonors Diamond
So far no luck. Its a published AC route - which is the quickest way to get to FRA. Seems pretty logical to me using an airport 300 miles away to get to my destination instead of travelling 1300 miles to YYZ. But I guess the AC folks dont see it the same way - reservations would not book.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
As long as you don't ask for a ridiculous routing, you can probably get reservations to do it. I've done it many times in 2015.

For awhile some FTers and likely others were using flight passes to add segments. For example YYZ-YUL-YOW-YWG-YYC-YVR instead of YYZ-YVR. They will no longer allow you to make changes like that through the resource desk (the guys that can adjust flight pass bookings).

So make the booking, call reservations, ask for the change. If they won't do it, do a same day change, HUCA, or just cancel the res and try again later.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
As long as you don't ask for a ridiculous routing, you can probably get reservations to do it. I've done it many times in 2015.

For awhile some FTers and likely others were using flight passes to add segments. For example YYZ-YUL-YOW-YWG-YYC-YVR instead of YYZ-YVR. They will no longer allow you to make changes like that through the resource desk (the guys that can adjust flight pass bookings).

So make the booking, call reservations, ask for the change. If they won't do it, do a same day change, HUCA, or just cancel the res and try again later.
Now you know why AC started AQD
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Take note the window for free cancellations or changes is only two hours.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Now you know why AC started AQD
I think AQD is the answer to a different AC problem.

But thinking of it, I'd like to run another YVR to YUL in seven segments and watch the AQD post as negative.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
As a general rule, now, they will only do routes that are offered online.....
I have a flight to LAS via YVR.
On outbound ,had AC change flights so that I am doing a stop-over at YVR overnight.(latitude NA pass)
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by BlueMilk
I think AQD is the answer to a different AC problem.

e.
Like SE's spending less than 10K because they segment fly costing AC a ton of cash in benefit costs.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Take note the window for free cancellations or changes is only two hours.
On a latitude pass? I think not....
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:09 pm

Irrespective of routing I had issues with passes not offering more than a single connection flight (e.g. YEG-YYC portion) and having to call to change (from the 40 mins connection to TATL flight, which seemed a little too risky!). Was then told by reservations that the only open flight was 5 hours earlier, even though plenty showed in the website. So probably another IT triumph...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:22 pm

Like SE's spending less than 10K because they segment fly costing AC a ton of cash in benefit costs.
Probably not. The year I needed to add segments to qualify on AQM, my spend was close to 30K.

By the nature of a flight pass, one's committing to AC metal. I suspect very few pass users will miss AQD targets.

I'm sure it would be possible to fly 100k AQM on AC metal and miss $20k AQD, but few here have admitted to it.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
On a latitude pass? I think not....
Right you are.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Does it "cost" that much?

EYW is a good example of this.

If they do internal account of my lounge visits as $25/each, then yes, it's expensive.

But if they just accept the fact that I'm having a glass of water, a Coke Zero, and two shots of rum per connection, the actual cost is pretty low.

And there's how they bill the preferred seats. On most of my flights, no one bought any. It was just DrunkCargo and I except for the occasional not-full flight that had someone else there. Otherwise, it was a full flight with a Mounty bragging about how he got "first class" for sitting in 1A on a CRJ. So again, if the accounting says I used $30 of the benefit even though they would not have made that money had I not been on the flight, then the cost is high. But the true cost is low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.