Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: eUpgrade for Reward Ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: eUpgrade for Reward Ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E35, AP Diamond
eUpgrade for Reward Ticket?

I apologize if this a simple question, or one that has been answered previously.

I am flying YYZ-FCO later this week for work. The ticket was booked in Z class by my client. I want to bring my wife along for part of my time in Italy, but don't want to spend the $7K it will cost to book her a business class ticket.

Since I can't "cash in" my ticket for two economy ones, I'm obliged to buy her own ticket. We can book on points for 60K (+$650 taxes) or buy an economy ticket for ~$1600. I have eUpgrade points, but want to know if I can use them to upgrade her fare if I buy it as a reward ticket. Or if I should book the Flex ticket and try to use my eUpgrades to upgrade her on the day of travel. Or finally, should I buy a Flex ticket and hope the system offers the "for sale" upgrade at check-in. I'm E35K.
Any advice you can offer on how to give myself the best chance at upgrading her would be appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
1. Cannot use eup on reward ticket.
2. If you eup from flex: make sure you have enough eup credits, and you need to pay $500 copay each direction.
3. If your wife ends up in economy, then she can always take your business seat from you and you take the economy seat.

Edit: also look at the price of a latitude fare, may be cheaper than flex +500 copay, but still no guarantee for upgrade before travel as you don't have a nominee spot...

2nd edit: as an E35k you might not have enough eup credits to upgrade your wife the entire round trip. You also don't have a nominee spot so you need to upgrade the day of travel since you are on different tickets.

Last edited by Diabeetus; Jan 9, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum, Nexus/GE
You won't be able to upgrade a reward ticket with eUpgrades.

Your options are a) book a business reward ticket or b) get a Flex ticket and try to eUpgrade/LMU.

You could also get an economy ticket and give her your business class seat once you board.

Edit: Diabeetus beat me to it!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by yultraveler
You won't be able to upgrade a reward ticket with eUpgrades.

Your options are a) book a business reward ticket or b) get a Flex ticket and try to eUpgrade/LMU.

You could also get an economy ticket and give her your business class seat once you board.

Edit: Diabeetus beat me to it!
Great minds think alike!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

I think getting the reward ticket and giving her my seat makes the most sense. Saves me the most money and will make her happiest.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by crimedog74
I think getting the reward ticket and giving her my seat makes the most sense. Saves me the most money and will make her happiest.

Thanks for the help.
No problem . they usually also offer last minute upgrade on reward tix at online check in. If they don't offer then ask at the check in counter.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
No problem . they usually also offer last minute upgrade on reward tix at online check in. If they don't offer then ask at the check in counter.
Will do! Crossing fingers. Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Update: Booked a rewards ticket and successfully purchased upgrade upon check-in. Not the cheapest way to go, but we get to fly together and everyone gets to stretch out and sleep.

Thanks and Boy Voyage to those who responded
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, Current Titanium, AC SE, x-SPG fanatic
Hi All -

Looking for some help for a novice FF.

Booking a trip later this month from YYZ to YVR using points for the wife and $$ for me to maximize AQM/AQD.... (dont want to get stuck as a mere 75K again, sigh)

Since we will be on 2 different booking confirmations, am I able to use my plentiful eups on the 'X' fare redemption? Also does it matter if I leverage the a market fare redemptions, assume they are treated like the X category and would require eups+copay?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC 1MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by Zeeflys
Hi All -

Looking for some help for a novice FF.

Booking a trip later this month from YYZ to YVR using points for the wife and $$ for me to maximize AQM/AQD.... (dont want to get stuck as a mere 75K again, sigh)

Since we will be on 2 different booking confirmations, am I able to use my plentiful eups on the 'X' fare redemption? Also does it matter if I leverage the a market fare redemptions, assume they are treated like the X category and would require eups+copay?

Thanks in advance
Others might have better info, but my experience with eups on award tickets is that if there are seats in J, you may be offered the eup possibility when you check in, plus $100 or $150 fee (can't remember which it is). You may also be able to request eups on the day of departure at the airport for you and your wife. Both are probably risky for YYZ-YVR. If you send the exact flights someone could tell you what the availability is today, but that doesn't mean much if you are several weeks out.

I have not found a way to use eups on an aeroplan ticket, other than within 24 hours.

I tried to upgrade my wife through the eupgrade site the other day for our trip to MCO this weekend. It recognized her as a nominee, told me the flights were available for upgrade, but when I tried to complete the upgrade I got a message saying it could not be completed. Fortunately J looks wide open, so I am hopefull for a sameday upgrade.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
You can use eUpgrades on an AE ticket within 24 hours. That is the window period for X fare - 24 hours. There is a copay ($250 on this route).

I did this in December for YWG-YYZ-YOW. I was waitlisted and both upgrades cleared at the gate. I was top of the list for both segments, but that will depend on status and how many other people of that status are flying.

In my experience YYZ-YVR is difficult to upgrade even several days out, however YMMV.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:41 pm

do you think it matters that i am only a 75K and therefore dont have a nominee ?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Zeeflys
do you think it matters that i am only a 75K and therefore dont have a nominee ?

As E75 you can only eUp someone else at the airport, and on the same flight. Or possibly OLCI, but I believe it’s the airport.

Given there are copays, you could also get a good value LMU. Or bid for it.

Edit - Belive X and Tango eUps are a special offer from AC and therefore there might be an end date (which keeps moving). Unsure what the current end date is vs your flight dates.

Edit 2 - Booked yourself one ticket at whatever flex fare you can afford. Request eUp at whatever your period is to maximize chances. Book your wife on the X fare and request upgrade at airport unless LMU is good. This is the greatest chance of getting at least one seat in J. If only one (your) upgrade clears, board with wife and send her to J while you go to Y.

Last edited by jc94; Jan 16, 2018 at 4:28 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
According to some armchair experts here, you're all suggesting gaming the system to your advantage! tsk tsk!

(I'm giving a real big chubby finger wag!)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:00 am

So one more question, (as my numerous calls to AC resulted in various answers) .....and you all are much smarter anyway...

Do you think its possible to eup 'market fare flight rewards' redemption? i see the FAQ and T&C on the 'fixed millage fare rewards' say you can eup the X fare t-24, but nothing about market fare buckets

I have the wife's booking in 'N', 'G', and 'K'

Z

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.