FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YYZ. Is there a desire to meet AC employees for a Do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1737643-yyz-there-desire-meet-ac-employees-do.html)

canadiancow Jan 8, 2016 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 25988264)
No

Then I assume they'll be handing out VIP status to everyone, right?

CrownRoyalForever Jan 8, 2016 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin (Post 25988264)
No

How about one-way on Rouge? They can pick which way.

Cheers

Maserati Jan 8, 2016 10:39 pm

LOL. Great thread!

YEGTigger Jan 8, 2016 11:10 pm

I've never been able to make a DO, but I'd certainly try to make one like this.

Bartolo Jan 8, 2016 11:21 pm

I would be very interested but could only do after mid April.

canadiancow Jan 8, 2016 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever (Post 25988350)
How about one-way on Rouge? They can pick which way.

Cheers

One way would be an interesting option. It depends on their motivation for this event, but if you can show up to it, and can prove you booked a flight for it, having them send you back the next day isn't exactly something that would cost them a lot.

Maybe I should apply for a job at AC. I'm sure they'd fly me in for that.

I received an email from Amazon recently. They said if I completed a programming challenge online successfully, they'd fly me to Seattle. I was quite happy with my job, but I was very tempted to do it just for the flight. I mean who can beat 0cpm?

But back to the point of this thread... what are we talking about? At Stanford, Ben Smith talked about doing something cool behind the scenes, so would it be a tour of YYZ? I had an awesome tour of LAX a year ago. We started in the lounge, went to a conference room, went to the baggage area, went out on the tarmac. It was pretty awesome.

Or is this just going to be like the Fairmont Royal York last year where a bunch of us have way too much to drink, Ben Lipsey shows up for a bit, and it's basically a regular Do? I mean I burned about $2000 USD in flight pass credits for that, so don't get me wrong, I loved it. But I just don't understand what we're actually talking about here.

krayZpaving Jan 8, 2016 11:28 pm

Would definitely be interest, though variables involved in whether I make it or not are complex. If it randomly happens on the right day for me, I'll be there.

CanRulez Jan 8, 2016 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 25988443)
One way would be an interesting option. It depends on their motivation for this event, but if you can show up to it, and can prove you booked a flight for it, having them send you back the next day isn't exactly something that would cost them a lot.

Maybe I should apply for a job at AC. I'm sure they'd fly me in for that.

I received an email from Amazon recently. They said if I completed a programming challenge online successfully, they'd fly me to Seattle. I was quite happy with my job, but I was very tempted to do it just for the flight. I mean who can beat 0cpm?

But back to the point of this thread... what are we talking about? At Stanford, Ben Smith talked about doing something cool behind the scenes, so would it be a tour of YYZ? I had an awesome tour of LAX a year ago. We started in the lounge, went to a conference room, went to the baggage area, went out on the tarmac. It was pretty awesome.

Or is this just going to be like the Fairmont Royal York last year where a bunch of us have way too much to drink, Ben Lipsey shows up for a bit, and it's basically a regular Do? I mean I burned about $2000 USD in flight pass credits for that, so don't get me wrong, I loved it. But I just don't understand what we're actually talking about here.

A "behind the scenes" tour of YYZ would be cool. I'm in either way provided it's booked towards the end of March or in April.

Thanks SAP for organizing another DO.

maradori Jan 8, 2016 11:34 pm

Don't want to derail too much, but you should apply just for the onsite interview. I did it back in 2010 and it was quite nice -- social engineered their HR rep to fly me on the AC nonstop E90 YYZ-SEA, which I LMU'ed for like $60/hr. They put you in a pretty nice hotel too. I think it was called the Hotel Andra or something. Better than the chain hotels' midrange options.

Maybe if the AC reps did this, I could snag a rare "approved carry on" plastic tag with metal rope-ring :D :D :D

My selfish reason would be to have this before Feb 29, while I'm still SOUPER éh-leet LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :D :D :D :D :D :D

canadiancow Jan 8, 2016 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by maradori (Post 25988477)
Maybe if the AC reps did this, I could snag a rare "approved carry on" plastic tag with metal rope-ring :D :D :D

A bunch of FTers have one of those. They were not made by AC.

Originally Posted by maradori (Post 25988477)
My selfish reason would be to have this before Feb 29, while I'm still SOUPER éh-leet LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL :D :D :D :D :D :D

If this happens, and you take the same flights as me, you can use my eUps. And if it's in January or February, you'll still be pretty high on the list :p

P.S. I sent you a message through another medium.

CanRulez Jan 9, 2016 1:19 am

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 25988626)
These were a gift made by an awesome FTer and given to us at the YYC Do.

http://s1.postimg.cc/lk21x9psv/image.png

Can one be ordered? :D

I'd definitely want one or two of those. :p

Adam Smith Jan 9, 2016 1:36 am

SAP, this sounds great, I'd be in!

Timing the issue for me. Weekends better, ideally after March (I'm away most weekends until April), for whatever that's worth.

Antonio8069 Jan 9, 2016 1:38 am

yes & under more formal circumstances

As a participant in last year's Do, my "vote" is yes, under different circumstances. Let's organize a formal event @ YYZ where we all see + hear the same things. (At the RY, Ben joined us for like 10 minutes & the only folks who got to speak with him were those seated beside him for drinks!)

I also agree that seeing behind the scenes at Pearson would be awesome. (SFO has an annual event for the community, but I am not aware if YYZ does?)

CanadianMike Jan 9, 2016 1:42 am

Those tags are awesome. Would love a couple haha...

Schedule is erratic and not always in the country but if I'm anywhere close I'd try to make it. I shall keep posted to this thread. Great idea. ^

canadiancow Jan 9, 2016 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 25988722)
As a participant in last year's Do, my "vote" is yes, under different circumstances. Let's organize a formal event @ YYZ where we all see + hear the same things. (At the RY, Ben joined us for like 10 minutes & the only folks who got to speak with him were those seated beside him for drinks!)

Haha will I managed to talk to him while we were both standing! So that worked out well :p

That Do ended poorly though. They had no pitchers at the bar, and somehow I ended up with a massive room service bill :p