Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the
original 2004 - 2014 thread
and the 2015 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply her as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Does anyone even write their own sorting algorithm any more? That's a bit like writing your own encryption.
Sorts? Yes, very often and out of necessity. A need for sorting arises in just about any medium/large-sized project.

Encryption, not so much. Export controls on encryption present potential problems.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by After Burner
Sorts? Yes, very often and out of necessity. A need for sorting arises in just about any medium/large-sized project.

Encryption, not so much. Export controls on encryption present potential problems.
Java: Collections.sort(list);
C#: list.sort();
C++: list.sort();
Python: list.sort();

I could go on, but... why would you ever write your own sorting method? If I heard someone in an interview say "I should write my own sorting method", they would not get hired.

The reason you don't write your own encryption has nothing to do with export control. It's because it requires a VERY deep understanding of pure math, which engineers very rarely have.

Sorting is similar, though not as extreme (because a bad sort leads to less extreme issues than data leaks).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:50 pm

I could go on, but... why would you ever write your own sorting method? If I heard someone in an interview say "I should write my own sorting method", they would not get hired.

The reason you don't write your own encryption has nothing to do with export control. It's because it requires a VERY deep understanding of pure math, which engineers very rarely have.

Sorting is similar, though not as extreme (because a bad sort leads to less extreme issues than data leaks).
It's to avoid having any non-original code in a product. Avoiding using code from other sources means a clean certificate of originality. This is helpful if you ever expect your software asset might be acquired. For this reason my company has a policy of requiring all code to be original.

Encryption is not that difficult to develop. It's good encryption that's difficult. But export controls don't differentiate between high strength and junk encryption.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Since I was a child, I’ve always loved a good story.
I believed that stories helped us to ennoble ourselves to fix what was broken in us, and to help us become the people we dreamed of being.

Lies that told a deeper truth.
I always thought I could play some small part in that grand tradition. And for my pains…I got this.
It begins with the birth of a new people and the choices they will have to make…and the people they will decide to become.
And we’ll have all those things that you have always enjoyed surprises and violence.”
- Dr. Ford

What a beautiful ending to the 10 hour arc.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

I've done it in JS when I needed a very custom sort on an associative array (ie: object). That said, I think the function may have used sort itself.

Other than that though ... just at Uni when they forced us to ignore the existence of any library (the lack of a date one being the worst).

The main reason you don't write your own encryption is to avoid getting fired. "I wrote me own encryption method and we got hacked" vs "I used a well known industry standard encryption and we got hacked".

md5 as a one way hash anyone?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: A3 Silver
It's to avoid having any non-original code in a product. Avoiding using code from other sources means a clean certificate of originality. This is helpful if you ever expect your software asset might be acquired. For this reason my company has a policy of requiring all code to be original.

Encryption is not that difficult to develop. It's good encryption that's difficult. But export controls don't differentiate between high strength and junk encryption.
So do you write your own programming language as well then? Do you stay away from any built in methods?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Smells like another stupid east coast vs west coast kind of thing

Lots of startup acquisitions happen in Sillycon Valley and I can guarantee most of them reuse other people's code (how else do you get to market quickly?). This is even more prevalent in the web dev area where pretty much almost eeeeeeeveryone uses node.js to some degree now (just look at how many people got major fubar'ed up with the left-pad fiasco)

With a reasoning of "original code is a prereq to getting acquired", I'm truly sorry that it sounds like you work for a company run more by lawyers than by techies
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by montezume
So do you write your own programming language as well then?
That would be ridiculous

Do you stay away from any built in methods?
Generally, yes. But for other reasons.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by maradori
Smells like another stupid east coast vs west coast kind of thing

Lots of startup acquisitions happen in Sillycon Valley and I can guarantee most of them reuse other people's code (how else do you get to market quickly?). This is even more prevalent in the web dev area where pretty much almost eeeeeeeveryone uses node.js to some degree now (just look at how many people got major fubar'ed up with the left-pad fiasco)

With a reasoning of "original code is a prereq to getting acquired", I'm truly sorry that it sounds like you work for a company run more by lawyers than by techies
In my case it's west coast stupidity. I doubt east coast is any different.

We are very much a company inhabited by and run by hard core techies. And that makes having to deal with IP attorneys even more exasperating. Anyway, there are other more "legitimate" reasons for not using existing sort functions.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Does anyone else find that flying doesn't have the same charm? I'm in the perfect position to take advantage of the FLR-XXX-DUS fare, and I'm just not feeling it

ETA: Wait, I could just fly to FLR and check it out--never been. Never mind; I take back what I said
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by pewpew
Does anyone else find that flying doesn't have the same charm? I'm in the perfect position to take advantage of the FLR-XXX-DUS fare, and I'm just not feeling it

ETA: Wait, I could just fly to FLR and check it out--never been. Never mind; I take back what I said
Florence is beautiful and the off season is the best time to visit. Do it!
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
I'm not sure what inspired this, but I guess it's somewhat relevant to the earlier discussion (also, I suspect it'll be polarizing): https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/12/professors-clever-trick-question-exam-prevents-14-students-attending-law-school/

I'm not sure why I'm posting to FT at 2am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm not sure what inspired this, but I guess it's somewhat relevant to the earlier discussion (also, I suspect it'll be polarizing): https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/12/professors-clever-trick-question-exam-prevents-14-students-attending-law-school/

I also did you a clever trick favour by making the URL and actual link.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/12...ng-law-school/
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: TK *G
I'm not sure what inspired this, but I guess it's somewhat relevant to the earlier discussion (also, I suspect it'll be polarizing): https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/12...ng-law-school/

Two things I learned in school: No matter how hard an exam is, there will be people getting 100. Even if you explicitly tell students the answer, some students will still get it wrong.

Everything else in between is the norm. Also, it's much much and much more fun to read software codes written by students. And, I had even much more fun doing circuit labs and watching other students doing circuit labs.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
Two things I learned in school: No matter how hard an exam is, there will be people getting 100. Even if you explicitly tell students the answer, some students will still get it wrong.

Everything else in between is the norm. Also, it's much much and much more fun to read software codes written by students. And, I had even much more fun doing circuit labs and watching other students doing circuit labs.
I have kept up with one professor in particular since I graduated. She's been a prof for ~25 years, and every year she puts the exact same bonus question on her mid-term exams (all levels), which typically line up with Remembrance Day:
You are a student at Memorial University of Newfoundland. To whom is this university dedicated to as a memorial?
Pretty much anyone in Canada could make a half decent guess. Newfoundlanders should definitely have it. But beyond that, she posts all of her past exams and solutions online for every class she teaches. And yet.... every year students get it wrong. This year's winner was "John Caboot".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.