Traveling with snowboards: delays?

Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm planning a snowboarding trip later this winter, most likely YYZ-YLW (Revelstoke) and getting concerned about potential baggage delays. I'm eyeing a flight that puts me at YLW just before 11 am (with 1 hour 17 min connection in YYC), and I'm thinking hey, if I'm lucky I can get to Revy early afternoon (it's a 2.5 hour drive from the airport) and still have a couple of rides on the mountain, just to get used to it and have some fun after the long flight+driving.

Then while I'm trying to figure out if I can get AC to count two snowboards in one bag as one piece of checked luggage instead of two, I stumble upon tons of anecdotes of bags getting delayed for anything from a few hours to a couple of days... That would really put a damper on a trip that is about nothing else but snowboarding.

Have any of you done trips like that. Is there a healthy chance my stuff will get delayed in Calgary?

P.S. I suppose a safer option would be to get a direct flight, but there are none to that destination via AC, and I was hoping to keep costs down by using Aeropesos.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan (Silver), Air Miles, IHG Rewards (Platinum)
There is a history of possible bulkouts and/or weight restrictions on this route (YYC-YLW) in the winter. I think there are at most 2-4 flights per day, so if it gets left behind and same situation with the next flight you could be in a pickle. YVR-YLW has many more flights per day and is less prone to the issue. While not ideal, is YYZ-YVR-YLW an option as opposed to YYZ-YYC-YLW?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

I could do YVR instead of YYC, but the overall travel time then becomes long enough that I won't hit the slopes same day even in the best case. If my baggage is delayed, would they deliver it all the way to Revelstoke or would I have to go get it at the airport?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Why not just fly to YYC instead of YLW and drive to Revy from Calgary. It's an extra 2 hours of driving but the connection + YYC-YLW flight would be more than that. Also you could get the earliest flight to YYC.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite

They'll deliver to your destination even if delayed. Odds are in your favour that it won't be delayed and even if it is, couldn't you rent for one afternoon in a worst case scenario?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:10 am

Realistically, you won't have time to do any runs at RMR if you're flying in to Kelowna at 11 AM. You'll get out of the airport with a rental car at 1130 at the earliest, putting you at the resort at 2 PM, then once you're suited up, purchased your lift ticket, you'll be at the top of the hill at 230 at the absolute earliest, leaving you half an hour before last chair. That's if everything works out in your favour. If the weather is bad (read: good for snowboarding!) you'll get to have a white knuckle drive on the #1 between Sicamous and Revelstoke as you're trying not to let the snow and slush dictate where the non-winter tire equipped car will take you, just so you can get in 2 runs before going to your accomodation.

Better to take a later flight the day before, take a more leisurely drive and spend the night in Revelstoke and get first chair the next morning.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:09 am
Original Poster

For some reason I thought the last chair is 4:30. Being 3 pm it really is too little time same day. Thanks for all your suggestions. Puts me a bit more at ease

I guess worst case I could rent 1 day, but I really would rather not. Would try and at least get my boots into the cabin as I am wearing a half-size and ill fitting boots are the worst.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by After Burner
Why not just fly to YYC instead of YLW and drive to Revy from Calgary. It's an extra 2 hours of driving but the connection + YYC-YLW flight would be more than that. Also you could get the earliest flight to YYC.
This sounds good in theory, but the drive from YYC at this time of year can be hard. I would fly to YLW.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
This sounds good in theory, but the drive from YYC at this time of year can be hard. I would fly to YLW.
I very much agree. I wouldn't risk my life doing this drive in winter, nor would I even risk driving Kelowna to Revy. This isn't a suggestion I'd offer to a "normal" human. But we're talking about a snowboarder here.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
If you can go on a Saturday or Sunday, there's a direct flight that lands at 11:34. Regardless - think about skiing Silver Star that afternoon - just outside of Vernon, only an hour drive from Kelowna airport, right on the way to Revelstoke. It's obviously not as good as Revelstoke but it's a decent warmup.

And I agree with a couple of other posters - I go once a year to Revelstoke and wouldn't consider driving from Calgary - two mountain passes that sometimes get closed either due to avalanche concerns or accidents. Plus rental cars don't have snow tires (you'd think it should be the law for mountain driving, but that's a different issue.)

Enjoy Revy - best place on earth!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by After Burner
I very much agree. I wouldn't risk my life doing this drive in winter, nor would I even risk driving Kelowna to Revy. This isn't a suggestion I'd offer to a "normal" human. But we're talking about a snowboarder here.
Given that we're talking about a snowboarder here, shouldn't you be recommending the drive from Calgary?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by PB53x11
Given that we're talking about a snowboarder here, shouldn't you be recommending the drive from Calgary?
Exactly!

Enjoy Revy - best place on earth!
Well, maybe not the best. But it's right up there. Maybe one day I'll get the courage to fly into YRV.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by PB53x11
Plus rental cars don't have snow tires (you'd think it should be the law for mountain driving, but that's a different issue.)
It *is* the law - in BC.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...hain-up-routes
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by cedric
You don't actually need to have proper snow tires with the mountain and snowflakes symbol. Any old motomaster junk that says M+S on it somewhere will do which encompasses all sorts of all season crap.

This seems to have changed in the last few years.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
Good for BC! I wonder how often that law is broken - unless things have improved, it is difficult if not impossible to find rental cars with winter tires in Calgary. Some of my rental vehicles from Calgary have been a bit scary in winter, even if 4 wheel drive of some sort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.