FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YYZ to HKG in PY in April 2016, AC vs EVA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1734039-yyz-hkg-py-april-2016-ac-vs-eva.html)

whyfseeguy Dec 24, 2015 9:57 am

YYZ to HKG in PY in April 2016, AC vs EVA

Hi,

Flying YYZ to HKG in April 2016, comparing AC vs EVA PY. Current pricing for AC is $2,600 on 777HD vs EVA $1,700. Both with 1 stop. AC in YVR and EVA in TPE.

Is AC PY that much better than EVA PY to demand a 50% premium? Any comments.

Thanks.

winnipegrev Dec 24, 2015 10:02 am

No, take EVA.

Welcome to FT!

superangrypenguin Dec 24, 2015 10:21 am

This is a no brainer. Take EVA. Welcome to FT.

Far Siren Dec 24, 2015 10:27 am

The new AQD requirement would be the only factor for even considering AC over EVA in this case, but even then a $900 premium is too much IMHO.

BTW - sometimes you can get a Y/B fare on EVA for closer to or less than a Y+ fare and upgrade into business class with Aeroplan points if space is available.

HomerJ Dec 24, 2015 12:08 pm

Take EVA....

...flown them twice in PY in the past year....very good service and because most of their FF'ers don't have SA status if the flight is oversold you get bumped to J (and I'm only E 35). Happened on 2 of the 4 legs.

worldcam Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Take EVA...

Just flew EVA YYZ-TPE-PVG and SIN-TPE-YYZ. PY. Take EVA!

IluvSQ Dec 24, 2015 5:09 pm

Also, very possible your YYZ-YVR flight would not have PY available, so 5 hours in
regular economy. With EVA, only TPE-PVG might not have PY - less than 2 hours.

whyfseeguy Dec 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks for the recommendation and insights.

AC can sell their product at whatever price they want, but if the competition is at least as good, if not better, $900 is a lot to pay for slightly more AQM and AQD to fly AC PY on this route.

theseatbelt Dec 25, 2015 1:34 am

And this is where the AC bleeding starts.

If I were you I would not even credit this flight to AC. You can get gold status without AQD by crediting to UA or Aegean. Or many others. Get the bonus on Aegean and get your gold status faster.

Smiley90 Dec 25, 2015 3:34 am

Originally Posted by theseatbelt (Post 25914413)
And this is where the AC bleeding starts.

If I were you I would not even credit this flight to AC. You can get gold status without AQD by crediting to UA or Aegean. Or many others. Get the bonus on Aegean and get your gold status faster.

Don't you need to actually FLY Aegean to get gold now? That's often a bigger hurdle than the actual qualifying miles there for NA-based flyers.

cooleddie Dec 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 25914516)
Don't you need to actually FLY Aegean to get gold now? That's often a bigger hurdle than the actual qualifying miles there for NA-based flyers.

I believe it's 4 flights and 24000 miles or 48000 miles any airline.

Consider doing a vacation in Greece.