FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   End of year segment run madness, add 3 more AQS for 20 eups? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1733662-end-year-segment-run-madness-add-3-more-aqs-20-eups.html)

Nitehawk Dec 22, 2015 8:30 pm

End of year segment run madness, add 3 more AQS for 20 eups?

So I've never had to do a segment or mileage run. This is new territory for me. I've always qualified for status without planning or pointless flying in prior years.

I planned my travel a little too carefully in 2015 to maximize my SE benefits, and qualify with minimum spend, this meant I was planning to end up right around 100 AQS. I used IKK to avoid overpriced flights throughout the year and to access international premium cabins with the eup devaluation, deflating my numbers.

I then had a client postpone a visit plus a delayed project keep me 15 segments short of 100 AQS.

Because of this I just booked myself a 10 segment run to make SE on the 26th and 27th. I did not find it particularly easy to find something for a decent price this late in the game during the holiday season. I got 10 AQS for ~$820 tax in on 3 tickets. I also just added a positioning flight bringing my total to 12 AQS at $1070 on 4 tickets. This puts me at 97 AQS.

My itinerary is:

YYJ-YYC-YVR-YCD-YVR-YYC-YEG-YYC-YXH-YYC-YUL-YVR-YYJ

For another $275 (and most of a day) I can grab the last 3 AQS for the 20 eups. I'm on the fence when I look at my eup account and see it still has 58 to expire in Feb, even after upgrading every jet on this run. Next year I probably need more AC spend, which means revenue flights overseas so I can maybe use those extra eups. However I will likely save additional eups by flying on lat passes to bring my spend up.

Two questions:

1) So should I go for the last 3 AQS?

2) Any issues turning on the same aircraft at YCD, and YXH? Turn times are short and I'm worried about going through security again before they close the flights.

keitherson Dec 22, 2015 8:34 pm

If you had come to the DO yesterday, that could have been 2 less segments for you! :p

Nitehawk Dec 22, 2015 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 25905156)
If you had come to the DO yesterday, that could have been 2 less segments for you! :p

I wish I had been able make it! I should have also done the SFO do and flight, that probably would have saved me all this headache!

canadiancow Dec 22, 2015 8:45 pm

When you get off the flight, show the agent your boarding pass and say you're turning right around, and ask them to let you into the departures area.

I've done that at YQM.

Aker Dec 22, 2015 9:45 pm

What's the DO?

Nitehawk Dec 26, 2015 9:30 am

Starting my run today.

YYJ-YYC-YVR-YCD-YVR-YYC-YEG is today's itinerary.

If anyone is in any of these airports say hi! Especially YYC late this morning, and this evening. YVR for a couple of hours this afternoon. I'll be in the MLL. ^

Adam Smith Dec 26, 2015 2:47 pm

Dude... Only 95 AQS to qualify for SE, you're two over already! Provided you have 47 AC AQS, of course.

How is it this thread was posted 4 days ago and I'm the first to point that out?!

Nitehawk Dec 26, 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 25918754)
Dude... Only 95 AQS to qualify for SE, you're two over already! Provided you have 47 AC AQS, of course.

How is it this thread was posted 4 days ago and I'm the first to point that out?!

I know I only need 95! I was going to drive between airports but it was much easier to fly, so now I'm at 97. Hence the question about should I invest half a day and a few $$$ to get the extra 20 eups.

canadiancow Dec 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by adam.smith (Post 25918754)

Because you made an assumption and ignored the actual question that was asked :p