Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
At least she checked properly.

I once had a similar scenario where somehow the agent checked and either did it wrong or misread. Until fortunately the next agent, who had heard the conversation, stepped in and showed the first one the correct answer.
I had a similar issue some time ago. OK, it was 20 years and one month ago. I was checking in at YYZ for a flight to NRT. The agent takes my passport (I was using a Slovak passport then) and after a while she goes: "You don't have a visa." I said: "I know, I don't need a visa. "So goes again: "Yes, you do." Then she said: "Look, I show you:" She punches in an airport code to some table and it says to her that I need visa. I asked: "Ma'am, why did you enter DME?" She said: "Because you're Russian." I answered: "No, I'm not. Please take a look at my passport again. It says Slovak Republic." "So which airport?" "Please try BTS" She tried BTS and it, of course, worked.
bambinomartino likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Back story: I was trying to upgrade SFO-YVR-NRT, but the website wasn't giving me a checkbox for the YVR-NRT. It was only letting me upgrade SFO-YVR

Me: Hi, I'd like to request an eUpgrade, but the website isn't letting me.
Agent: Sure, do you have the booking reference?
Me: ABC123. I'd like to upgrade the two Air Canada flights please.
Agent: Okay let me see... Okay this will be 11 credits. Oh, you only have 8.
Me: No, I have like 600.
Agent: eUpgrade credits? No, that's not possible. You can only have 100, maybe 200.

At this point, I'm loading the eUp site.

Me: I have six hundred ninety four.
Agent: I don't think that's possible. Let me go pull up my loyalty management system.
Agent: Oh wow, you do! I didn't know that was possible.

The issue was that my flight is a day or two after the expiry date of all but 8 of my eUps, so we were not able to put in the request.

She was also quite apologetic. "I didn't mean to accuse you of not having that many, I've just never seen this before."

So definitely not in the "spirit" of this thread, but it definitely fits.

Overall a very friendly call, and we both learned something.

I guess I need to cross an eUp threshold in July.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Me: I have six hundred ninety four.
Agent: I don't think that's possible. Let me go pull up my loyalty management system.
Agent: Oh wow, you do! I didn't know that was possible.

The issue was that my flight is a day or two after the expiry date of all but 8 of my eUps, so we were not able to put in the request.

She was also quite apologetic. "I didn't mean to accuse you of not having that many, I've just never seen this before."

So definitely not in the "spirit" of this thread, but it definitely fits.

Overall a very friendly call, and we both learned something.

I guess I need to cross an eUp threshold in July.
Reminded me of the time an AC employee said that it was impossible to attain 500,000 SQM (back then, "AQM") in a calendar year. The only difference is that I didn't learn anything, but they did.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I told my family members who were flying YYZ-DEL-BOM that they would have to pick up their bags in DEL, clear customs and then hand it to the connecting airline.
Business class checkin at YYZ told them that's not the case, bags would go straight thru to BOM, no need to pick them up.
I checked with DEL concierge who confirmed that the bags would have to be picked up and walked thru Indian customs and then handed over to the connecting airline.
Concierge and me were correct.
canopus27, YYC3722 and najama2 like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: hahaha
Here’s an unusual one.

I was served the single-tray of breakfast on AC8. For no particular reason, I decided to eat the croissant first before the main dish, but wanted to wait for the coffee before digging in. When the cart came by shortly after, I rotated my tray 180 degrees in anticipation of the coffee but also to bring the croissant closer to me. It was seat 1K so there was plenty of room to manoeuvre the tray (I can’t believe I’m explaining this). The FA saw this while pouring my coffee, finished pouring it, and said “no, the [breakfast dish] is over here!” and picked up the tray and rotated it back to the position it was previously, a full 360 degree turn.

She didn’t even put the coffee anywhere on the tray lol so my preference didn’t impact her ability to deliver service

I just blinked twice in disbelief and waited until she left to do the 540
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Sounds like some fine dining chefs (and an in-house one) I know who get most annoyed when servers orient plates "incorrectly". Who knew AC had such lofty aspirations?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:05 pm

Walked up to the YYZ TB SE check-in desk and asked if I could upfare from Std to flex. Agent was probably new though friendly, asked a colleague.
Said colleague stated categorically that the fare class you purchased cannot ever be changed. I think she might have said you are stuck with the fare you purchased. After informing them that I have 'upfared' many times, there was a call to someone and the suggestion was to hang around while they called ticketing cause maybe someone there would know as none of them have ever heard of such a thing. Anyway, I gave up, not worth my time as the wait for ticketing could have been a long time.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
Walked up to the YYZ TB SE check-in desk and asked if I could upfare from Std to flex. Agent was probably new though friendly, asked a colleague.
Said colleague stated categorically that the fare class you purchased cannot ever be changed. I think she might have said you are stuck with the fare you purchased. After informing them that I have 'upfared' many times, there was a call to someone and the suggestion was to hang around while they called ticketing cause maybe someone there would know as none of them have ever heard of such a thing. Anyway, I gave up, not worth my time as the wait for ticketing could have been a long time.
Why not just do it online yourself?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:13 pm

Why not just do it online yourself?
Not booked on AC.com
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vernonc
Not booked on AC.com
Then why do you think AC would have been able to do it at all?

Fare changes "always" have to go through your TA.

Not that I'd ever expect a front-line airport agent to be able to handle something like this, but I'm not sure even ticketing would have been able or willing to help you.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:23 pm

Then why do you think AC would have been able to do it at all?

Fare changes "always" have to go through your TA.

Not that I'd ever expect a front-line airport agent to be able to handle something like this, but I'm not sure even ticketing would have been able or willing to help you.
They have said they can do it once they have control of the ticket i.e 24 hrs. And they have done it before. Before 24 hrs depends on a helpful agent because they are not supposed to touch a TA ticket. At 24hrs they have control of the ticket and can make changes.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Flew AC689 YYT-YYZ on August 7 Latitude.. upgrade didn't clear

FA with Bistro Cart arrives at my seat and tells me I can choose a meal and a snack item at no charge. I mention I think it's a meal or a drink and 2 snacks.. she replies, NO Sir.. it's a meal and a snack.. I point out the text in the Bistro .pdf file.. she states that that's not correct.

I leave it at that and take my wrap and Kitkat (I really wanted a drink instead of the meal). I guess I'll write in.

Ron.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:42 am
Original Poster

The last menu I have says "Customers who have purchased a Latitude fare ticket or an Air Canada Bistro voucher are eligible for a choice of one meal item plus 2 snacks on most flights over 2 hours."

Where do you see the drink?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
The last menu I have says "Customers who have purchased a Latitude fare ticket or an Air Canada Bistro voucher are eligible for a choice of one meal item plus 2 snacks on most flights over 2 hours."

Where do you see the drink?
https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...fe_menu-en.pdf

canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by newfbc
Flew AC689 YYT-YYZ on August 7 Latitude.. upgrade didn't clear

FA with Bistro Cart arrives at my seat and tells me I can choose a meal and a snack item at no charge. I mention I think it's a meal or a drink and 2 snacks.. she replies, NO Sir.. it's a meal and a snack.. I point out the text in the Bistro .pdf file.. she states that that's not correct.

I leave it at that and take my wrap and Kitkat (I really wanted a drink instead of the meal). I guess I'll write in.

Ron.
read what you posted.

one meal item OR one beverage. Not both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.