Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Yes, she got me 3A after some more effort.
Nice. Glad it worked out.
So if you hadn't had done your work to show the agent that you're in Y... you would've boarded with Zone 1 and sat in 12A.
I also assumed that all agents know that 2-cabin metal has Y starting at 12, and 3-cabin at 18... but I guess not.
But then again, I've seen agents not know their airport codes, despite it being part of their formal training.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I also assumed that all agents know that 2-cabin metal has Y starting at 12
And yet you just posted in the "I work at the airport, you're wrong" thread
yyznomad, YOWgary and vancouver25k like this.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
But then again, I've seen agents not know their airport codes, despite it being part of their formal training.
The YYT check in agent who asked for my passport to complete my check in to YQQ this morning obviously missed this training. It was all my semi functional 4:30am brain could muster to deadpan "it's a domestic trip" without sarcasm.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector
The YYT check in agent who asked for my passport to complete my check in to YQQ this morning obviously missed this training. It was all my semi functional 4:30am brain could muster to deadpan "it's a domestic trip" without sarcasm.
And you didn't come say hi to me at work?! So rude.
yyznomad and eigenvector like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
I also assumed that all agents know that 2-cabin metal has Y starting at 12, and 3-cabin at 18... but I guess not.
Its an interesting observation, but its not something anyone needs to know. The computer should tell them the cabin, and there is always a seatmap. Yes, row 12 might be a bulkhead, but not always (and not even always on the same type); there is really no pattern to the other preferred seats, exit rows, etc; one has to check every time so why bother remembering one point of data that isn't exhaustively useful?

Last edited by RangerNS; May 19, 2022 at 3:55 pm Reason: dropped ]
Old May 20, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Its an interesting observation, but its not something anyone needs to know. The computer should tell them the cabin, and there is always a seatmap. Yes, row 12 might be a bulkhead, but not always (and not even always on the same type); there is really no pattern to the other preferred seats, exit rows, etc; one has to check every time so why bother remembering one point of data that isn't exhaustively useful?
The point in this case is that there's no aircraft in the fleet for which Row 12 is business class. That's the entire point of that numbering convention, for example it's why on an E75, Row 4 is followed by Row 12.

While I agree it's a lot to ask every agent everywhere to memorize the exact layout of every preferred seat in the fleet, this one is a single detail that's universally true and frequently relevant.

Somewhere back in this thread is an issue I had where I was ticketed in PE, but the check-in agent insisted I couldn't be, because 777s don't have that cabin, and besides, I should know from the row number anyway.

​​​​​
yyznomad, ffsim and canadiancow like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary
The point in this case is that there's no aircraft in the fleet for which Row 12 is business class. That's the entire point of that numbering convention, for example it's why on an E75, Row 4 is followed by Row 12.

While I agree it's a lot to ask every agent everywhere to memorize the exact layout of every preferred seat in the fleet, this one is a single detail that's universally true and frequently relevant.

Somewhere back in this thread is an issue I had where I was ticketed in PE, but the check-in agent insisted I couldn't be, because 777s don't have that cabin, and besides, I should know from the row number anyway.

​​​​​
I've always wondered why they don't start Y at 18 so it can actually be consistent across the fleet.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've always wondered why they don't start Y at 18 so it can actually be consistent across the fleet.
the Y starts at 12 convention predates PY on AC. Too expensive to update existing fleet. For whatever reason decided not to transition with new fleet such as 737… that would be my guess.
yyznomad and YOWgary like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
AC's approach here makes much more sense than the ad-hoc approach you see on airlines like Qantas, where Row 5 can be First, Business or Economy depending which aircraft you're on.

And yes, I believe the Row-12 convention predates PY by quite a bit, which is what tripped up my agent in the situation I described above.
yyznomad likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Pre-PY, widebody Y started at 18 on at least some aircraft, no?

But then the all-Y aircraft start Y at 1, which is always a mess when there's a DH4/CR9 swap.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Pre-PY, widebody Y started at 18 on at least some aircraft, no?

But then the all-Y aircraft start Y at 1, which is always a mess when there's a DH4/CR9 swap.
Sounds like its a mostly misleading convention not worth learning about when the time you might professionally care, you are in front of a VDI with a seat map, anyway.....
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:05 pm

A few weeks ago I flew DCA to YYZ in business class. My scheduled flight was cancelled due to weather and I was rebooked onto a flight the next morning (different flight #). The aircraft that was originally scheduled to fly out the previous day remained on the ground overnight and operated the newly scheduled flight instead.

Knowing this, but not knowing whether YYZ-DCA is typically double-catered, I asked the check-in agent in the morning whether breakfast would be served in business class. I was assured that it would be.

Later I asked the gate agent the same question, just to double check. Same answer. I therefore didn't buy breakfast at the airport.

There was no breakfast.
​​​​​
yyznomad and canadiancow like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
So I'm sitting in the YYZ Signature Suite a la carte dining now. I'm 22.

I'm asked if "I'm of age" to which I replied "yes". I'm then asked for my ID, which I provide. I'm then told that the federal drinking age in Canada is 23 and they can't serve me. I'm told that the same reason why the Air Canada staff have to wear masks mandates a 23 year old drinking age. I ask for the manager who takes my ID and after 10 minutes, says that I'm OK as the federal drinking age is 21...

I've been flying AC for 4ish years now and have been served with no problem. I provide ID whenever required, no issues there.

To be told that the "federal drinking age" is 23 is ridiculous.

Anyways...it's a nice lounge...
Old May 20, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Nowhere in Canada is the drinking age 21. It’s 19 at the highest.

If this happened to me I would…. calmy escalate it.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Nowhere in Canada is the drinking age 21. It’s 19 at the highest.

If this happened to me I would…. calmy escalate it.
Yeah, I'm definitely writing in. Even though we're delayed a good hour, the fact they took my ID for 10-20 minutes to "confirm" it was pretty ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.