Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Old Apr 4, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by 24left
AC may view the one who writes a compliment as someone who is likely happy and will remain a customer, whereas the one who writes in a complaint might need a small incentive to remain a customer.

My view is that the value of a compliment can often be more useful than a complaint, but only if the organization has a structure for not just gathering up a collection of compliments and filing them somewhere, but thinking about the information provided and using it. There are companies out there who use a monetary token to thank customers who've provided compliments and they do it because they see value in it.
That does make sense, but the long term is that it might gameify the process and bias towards bad reviews. People have done a lot less to get a 10% discount then spend 5 minutes writing into customer service. Its hard to guess at motivation from AC, but it could be an attempt to mute the bad thoughts (if someone gets a discount code, they might not complain to their friends), explicitly more than caring about solving the issue. If they do care about the issues, they should also be soliciting and encouraging positive reviews as well.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Couple good ones at YVR today.

Concierge asks to see proof of vaccine before giving us paper BPs. Shouldn't need to, because we already uploaded it electronically and docs were approved, but this is a system issue, not a concierge issue.

But then she tells me we should have downloaded the federal vaccine proof thing, because that's what you need for travel

At the MLL, very rude agent told my wife that our flight was already boarding and
she was going to miss the flight because it was leaving in 10 minutes. Despite departure boards not showing boarding and no text alert.

I asked a few minutes later. Didn't get told I would miss the flight, but was told it was definitely boarding. I asked if she had checked DCS and how many were left to board. She claimed it was definitely boarding, and they would never disclose that information. Despite other agents having given it to me 100+ times.

Actual answer: I got the text shortly after I left the MLL, and they hadn't even started Z1 boarding when I got to the gate a few minutes later.

I rarely write in to complain about staff, but her crappy attitude and complete unwillingness to take the 15 seconds to actually check frigging DCS are going to earn her a note to customer relations.
You should've played "guess the airport"... because if you hadn't have mentioned (or implied) YVR, I would've immediately assumed YUL or YYZ.
arf04 and dudestir like this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Couple good ones at YVR today.

Concierge asks to see proof of vaccine before giving us paper BPs. Shouldn't need to, because we already uploaded it electronically and docs were approved, but this is a system issue, not a concierge issue.

But then she tells me we should have downloaded the federal vaccine proof thing, because that's what you need for travel

At the MLL, very rude agent told my wife that our flight was already boarding and
she was going to miss the flight because it was leaving in 10 minutes. Despite departure boards not showing boarding and no text alert.

I asked a few minutes later. Didn't get told I would miss the flight, but was told it was definitely boarding. I asked if she had checked DCS and how many were left to board. She claimed it was definitely boarding, and they would never disclose that information. Despite other agents having given it to me 100+ times.

Actual answer: I got the text shortly after I left the MLL, and they hadn't even started Z1 boarding when I got to the gate a few minutes later.

I rarely write in to complain about staff, but her crappy attitude and complete unwillingness to take the 15 seconds to actually check frigging DCS are going to earn her a note to customer relations.
In the concierges defence, I have found that pre-security reprinting of a BP, the vaccine proof is usually asked, 100% if you are checking a bag.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 1:43 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
This happens to me at the YVR concierge office about 50% of the time. Zero times anywhere else (so far).
Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by lcohen999
In the concierges defence, I have found that pre-security reprinting of a BP, the vaccine proof is usually asked, 100% if you are checking a bag.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
This happens to me at the YVR concierge office about 50% of the time. Zero times anywhere else (so far).
I have yet to be asked by the YVR concierge when checking in/reprinting at their non-black-box-"black box". I guess I just jinxed myself for my next visit.

But why ask for it when you already have ADOC?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I have yet to be asked by the YVR concierge when checking in/reprinting at their non-black-box-"black box". I guess I just jinxed myself for my next visit.

But why ask for it when you already have ADOC?
In my anecdotal experience, whenever I interact with a check in agent, all paperwork is requested again, regardless of what it says online.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:25 pm

In my anecdotal experience, whenever I interact with a check in agent, all paperwork is requested again, regardless of what it says online.
Same here. Priority lines (at least in YVR DOM and YVR TB) are very slow, probably because of this.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
Same here. Priority lines (at least in YVR DOM and YVR TB) are very slow, probably because of this.
I always get my Reprint at the airport from an agent or concierge.
i have never been asked yet. I guess I just double jinxed myself!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: hahaha
Was flying YYC-HNL on a 7M8 over the weekend, noticed we were on FIN 501 so I had very high hopes for Wi-Fi, especially because I was running behind on work and could benefit from an hour of internet before we were over an ocean.

There was an announcement saying Wi-Fi was available after taking off, the SSID was broadcasting, and the IFE was advertising it.

Despite everything, I couldn't log in and use my pass, the splash screen told me to wait until later in the flight. I waited until after drink service (over the US border) to ask and the FA was very sure that all 7M8s weren't equipped with Wi-Fi.

Confused as to why she said that (their colleagues made an announcement to the contrary earlier), I panicked and said that we were "on FIN 501, which has internet", which is probably not the best wording when I could given a load of other evidence that Wi-Fi was available onboard.

Again, she reiterated "this type of aircraft doesn't have Wi-Fi"

15 minutes later, I asked the same question to the SD coming by and said "oh we just have to flip a switch for that" and sure enough I was online for the a solid ten minutes before we lost coverage over the ocean. Three of those minutes were navigating the archaic Wi-Fi pass login.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by asovse1
Was flying YYC-HNL on a 7M8 over the weekend, noticed we were on FIN 501 so I had very high hopes for Wi-Fi, especially because I was running behind on work and could benefit from an hour of internet before we were over an ocean.

There was an announcement saying Wi-Fi was available after taking off, the SSID was broadcasting, and the IFE was advertising it.

Despite everything, I couldn't log in and use my pass, the splash screen told me to wait until later in the flight. I waited until after drink service (over the US border) to ask and the FA was very sure that all 7M8s weren't equipped with Wi-Fi.

Confused as to why she said that (their colleagues made an announcement to the contrary earlier), I panicked and said that we were "on FIN 501, which has internet", which is probably not the best wording when I could given a load of other evidence that Wi-Fi was available onboard.

Again, she reiterated "this type of aircraft doesn't have Wi-Fi"

15 minutes later, I asked the same question to the SD coming by and said "oh we just have to flip a switch for that" and sure enough I was online for the a solid ten minutes before we lost coverage over the ocean. Three of those minutes were navigating the archaic Wi-Fi pass login.
You're telling me the new system on the 7M8 isn't a global satellite system? Everything newer than the 320 is using Gogo 2Ku, and it definitely works over the ocean.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're telling me the new system on the 7M8 isn't a global satellite system? Everything newer than the 320 is using Gogo 2Ku, and it definitely works over the ocean.
Ughhhh

I wish I had taken a screenshot of the splash screen when I couldn't connect over the ocean, it said something along the lines of "internet will resume shortly when returning to coverage areas". After seeing that, I internalized it was a ground-based system and wrote my post accordingly with that assumption.

Now I have no idea what to think or why the SD said what they said
Old Apr 13, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
FIIN 501 that's C-FTJV, I flew this YYC-HNL on March 26th as AC529 and it had internet. I was on and now I am trying to remember if I stopped before we went over the water as I was tired with that six-hour layover in YYC as I passed out and did not log back in.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC 50K, *A Gold
Not sure where to post this, but might fit the topic.

"Trust me with this, this is cheaper and it's what you want"
-AC reservation agent.

Was schedule to fly YUL-LHR on paid J on Monday night, had to change to Thursday night of this week, after much back and fourth I get a call back from an AC agent. Quoting me 7K to move my departure date as the ticket has to be repriced as a whole (I get it they can't just change the outbound, they have to reprice the inbound and outbound).

I found an itinerary that costs the same but is PY on the inbound and Y (latitude) on the way back. The reservation agent says ok, no change fee, just 300$ fare difference (I'm fine with that). But I triple confirm with her: PY in the outbound and Economy latitude on the way back. She says "ok yes of course".

She books it, then I receive a confirmation and PNR to my email and I see it's PY on the outbound and PY on the inbound! I ask her why? I didn't want PY
(my rational is that latitude has no E-upgrade window and it was 100$ more expensive than PY but PY has 200$ co-pay for the Eupgrade, and the flight had 1 R left and is in 2 weeks).

She simply answers: Trust me this is what you want, it's 100$ cheaper than the latitude fare you told me about and is a better seat. I was shocked... no words. Now I called again to rechange it and the fare difference went up in the meantime between the calls. I'm really disappointed, I triple said "latitude economy on the way back, please confirm". Yet she booked me in PY "to save me money"... funny enough I'll upgrade and it'll cost me 200$ instead of costing me 100$ more in latitude with no co-pay (just 11 eups).

Has this ever happened to anyone? Sorry If I am not posting in the right thread. At this point hopefully, my upgrade on the way back clears and all this is a distant memory.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by royal757
Not sure where to post this, but might fit the topic.

"Trust me with this, this is cheaper and it's what you want"
-AC reservation agent.

Was schedule to fly YUL-LHR on paid J on Monday night, had to change to Thursday night of this week, after much back and fourth I get a call back from an AC agent. Quoting me 7K to move my departure date as the ticket has to be repriced as a whole (I get it they can't just change the outbound, they have to reprice the inbound and outbound).

I found an itinerary that costs the same but is PY on the inbound and Y (latitude) on the way back. The reservation agent says ok, no change fee, just 300$ fare difference (I'm fine with that). But I triple confirm with her: PY in the outbound and Economy latitude on the way back. She says "ok yes of course".

She books it, then I receive a confirmation and PNR to my email and I see it's PY on the outbound and PY on the inbound! I ask her why? I didn't want PY
(my rational is that latitude has no E-upgrade window and it was 100$ more expensive than PY but PY has 200$ co-pay for the Eupgrade, and the flight had 1 R left and is in 2 weeks).

She simply answers: Trust me this is what you want, it's 100$ cheaper than the latitude fare you told me about and is a better seat. I was shocked... no words. Now I called again to rechange it and the fare difference went up in the meantime between the calls. I'm really disappointed, I triple said "latitude economy on the way back, please confirm". Yet she booked me in PY "to save me money"... funny enough I'll upgrade and it'll cost me 200$ instead of costing me 100$ more in latitude with no co-pay (just 11 eups).

Has this ever happened to anyone? Sorry If I am not posting in the right thread. At this point hopefully, my upgrade on the way back clears and all this is a distant memory.
I do the same as you with the same rationale.
but I always ask for the fare basis before committing to minimize the BS shenanigans that theAgents throw at us.
at least it gives me the opportunity to say "hey that's PY and not Latitude" before it gets confirmed.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I do the same as you with the same rationale.
but I always ask for the fare basis before committing to minimize the BS shenanigans that theAgents throw at us.
at least it gives me the opportunity to say "hey that's PY and not Latitude" before it gets confirmed.
You could also explain why you want the latitude fare over PY.....not that you should have to but it might help to say "I really want Latitude so that I can apply for an upgrade right away"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.