Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

I work at the airport/for the airline. You're wrong.

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Oh my gee golly jolly cheese whiz!

A friend of a friend of a friend got their BP printed for a flight T-20 hours for the following day!

When will this insanity end?
How about +30 days - I routinely fly EasyJet in Europe, and when I buy within a month of departure, after the transaction, next screen pops up for online check-in, and I can decide to change number of bags later if necessary
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by skybluesea
How about +30 days - I routinely fly EasyJet in Europe, and when I buy within a month of departure, after the transaction, next screen pops up for online check-in, and I can decide to change number of bags later if necessary
Yes despite their many many issues, easyJet has a functional website that allows one to do things such as check in. Of course if one can't check in at the airport they charge you 40 or something to do so at the airport (unless that's changed).

So I still prefer AC over them though.

Fact remains that with the one exception where AC failed to print a LH boarding pass, I've always gotten all segments printed for the entire trip at t-24 the first. The disclaimer would be I've never tried to do a 9 segment journey going through the same place multiple times in a day of course.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Yes despite their many many issues, easyJet has a functional website that allows one to do things such as check in. Of course if one can't check in at the airport they charge you 40 or something to do so at the airport (unless that's changed).

So I still prefer AC over them though.

Fact remains that with the one exception where AC failed to print a LH boarding pass, I've always gotten all segments printed for the entire trip at t-24 the first. The disclaimer would be I've never tried to do a 9 segment journey going through the same place multiple times in a day of course.
I've been unable to OLCI for a YYZ-SFO itinerary. That was the entire PNR. But there was no attitude from any agent trying to get the boarding pass.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've been unable to OLCI for a YYZ-SFO itinerary. That was the entire PNR. But there was no attitude from any agent trying to get the boarding pass.
Surely that's related to SSSS or AC IT though?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Surely that's related to SSSS or AC IT though?
That specific example was caused by a concierge performing a SDC incorrectly.

The point is, OLCI can fail on simple itineraries.

At least as SE, I can always check in via phone or email.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by jasdou
Precisely. And I will take advantage of this again tonight when I get back to FRA and print my BP for tomorrow's LH470. I will also try to get a paper BP for my connecting AC flight YYZ-YQB from the LH check-in kiosk.
So, I have a BP for an AC flight that I was able to print from an LH check-in kiosk at T-30h. So this whole thing about flights not being open or whatever seems a bit fishy.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Or most first world railways, including VIA rail... you get your BP as soon as you book your trip!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:26 am

AirAsia is only 14 days before departure.

I flew with Thai to MEL recently and needed a connection in BKK of course. At check in it took forever, and the agent gave me four boarding passes including my return boarding passes for roughly 48 hours out. I did not even ask for them, but it made my life simpler.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I work at the airport. You're wrong Part Deux!

Just read CanadianCow's thread from a couple years ago that happened to get bumped to the front page and decided to piggyback on the title based on something that happened to me today.

EWR

Flew in on UA from Lisbon to terminal C, flying to Seattle on UA out of terminal C but my current status is Star Silver with both SQ and 35k with AC. With a 4.5 hour layover I decided to go to the MLL. We all know it kinda sucks, no booze etc. But I wanted a better place to sit to drink some soda have some snacks and frankly...use a better bathroom than the terminal ones.

No problem, went through the ungodly TSA line got to the lounge (did the same thing on the outbound last week with an even longer layover) only to get denied by the dragon.

She said "your boarding pass doesn't scan".
"Oh yea, that's cuz I'm accumulating to Singapore now, I've switched programs, but I wanna access the lounge based on my 35k status, I've got the card right here".
"You can't do that."
"Of course I can, I did it just last week at this very lounge. I did it almost all of last year using my SE100k status while earning miles towards Singapore."
*Shakes her head* "You're trying to get the best of both worlds, you can't do that, the number on the boarding pass has to match your card."
"No it doesn't, I'm 100% right here, I'll show you the policy on my phone." *shows her the policy*

"Sorry I can't let you in."

*random stranger steps up, either just to be nice, or because my conversation with her was disrupting his work*
"Can I guest him in?"
"No sir, the guest would have to be flying on the same flight as you."
Me: "Pretty sure you're wrong again there."

So I call the altitude line to get someone who knows the policies. Had to correct that agent first, as she said "you're only entitled to use it at Laguardia and LAX". I pointed out the Newark stipulation, to which she said "oh yea there it is, well clearly you're allowed in, but I can't call her to let you in, so you'll need to get ahold of her supervisor".

I ask her to call the sup, (we're at like 20-25 mins now of back and forth) she says the phone at the desk doesn't work...but that she'll call on her cell. She calls on speakerphone and the sup asks about 3-4 times over again as if he can't understand why she won't let me in. Finally he does. She scans my card and lets me in.

I specifically made the point to her, "hey I wanna make sure you know this wasn't some exception he let me in on, this is the policy." She never once acknowledged being wrong, or incorrect or anything, just handed my back my stuff and let me in.

The policy is pretty bloody clear, no other agent has EVER given me a hard time about this outside of once the dragon at LAX wouldn't let me in on my aeroplan ticket because for some reason my # wasn't on that and I wasn't carrying the card. I'm 99% sure she's wrong about the guest policy too, but the wording on that one is at LEAST a little vague. It'd be nice if we as passengers didn't have to educate the employees.

Quick aside on the same topic of educating the employees...on the outbound I missed my flight by seconds to Lisbon on UA. Agent says "not to worry your bag has already been offloaded". I said "sorry, I'm a baggage handler, I know how bagpulls work, there's no way they did it that fast." She said "I assure you it's been offloaded, you can pick it up downstairs".

Long story short, flight was booked as SEA-EWR-LIS-RAK, I got rebooked SEA-EWR-MUC-LIS (no rak anymore) they told me the bag got to Lisbon and couldn't tell after that, I'd just have to show up there and see if they had it. I get to Lisbon...of course they didn't have it, it got sent to RAK...took 4 days to get it back.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, (now an AC nobody)
It sucks when agents make up their own rules and waste your time too.

BTW, your profile still has you listed as SE.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: TK *G
I was once being told that "there is no washroom at the front" on a B789.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by CanRulez
It sucks when agents make up their own rules and waste your time too.

BTW, your profile still has you listed as SE.
Fixed!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Connecting through YYZ yesterday. Clear NEXUS, heading down the transfer hallway to go to the transfer desk before I go upstairs to re-clear security.

The lady in the hallway checking boarding passes (I have no idea why they do this either FWIW) is busy with some VBITs who have about 8 bags on trolleys and are trying to find their onward BPs. I just scan my BP at the little machine and walk past to go through the doors to the transfer desk. The agent sees me walking past:

Hallway Agent: SIR! WHERE ARE YOU GOING? WAIT FOR ME TO BE DONE WITH THESE PEOPLE!
Me: I'm connecting to Ottawa, just going through.
Hallway Agent: Do you have checked bags?
Me: No. I'm just going to go ahead, okay?
Hallway Agent: Okay...

There is a free agent at the transfer desk, who is of course engrossed in her iPhone and doesn't look up. I "ahem" rather loudly so she'll look up and I start to walk forward and tell her that I want to be on standby for the next flight to YOW when all of a sudden the agent from the hallway bursts through the doors behind us:

Hallway agent: SIR! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OVER THERE? YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!
Me: Um, I'm getting put on standby for an earlier flight?
Hallway agent: Oh, okay (sheepishly back though the door)

I'm sure these people deal will a lot of clueless travellers. But it isn't like I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops with a confused look on my face; I'm in business clothes with a roll bag and laptop bag with AC tags on them. And I'm not "supposed to be" at the transfer desk?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Connecting through YYZ yesterday. Clear NEXUS, heading down the transfer hallway to go to the transfer desk before I go upstairs to re-clear security.

The lady in the hallway checking boarding passes (I have no idea why they do this either FWIW) is busy with some VBITs who have about 8 bags on trolleys and are trying to find their onward BPs. I just scan my BP at the little machine and walk past to go through the doors to the transfer desk. The agent sees me walking past:

Hallway Agent: SIR! WHERE ARE YOU GOING? WAIT FOR ME TO BE DONE WITH THESE PEOPLE!
Me: I'm connecting to Ottawa, just going through.
Hallway Agent: Do you have checked bags?
Me: No. I'm just going to go ahead, okay?
Hallway Agent: Okay...

There is a free agent at the transfer desk, who is of course engrossed in her iPhone and doesn't look up. I "ahem" rather loudly so she'll look up and I start to walk forward and tell her that I want to be on standby for the next flight to YOW when all of a sudden the agent from the hallway bursts through the doors behind us:

Hallway agent: SIR! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OVER THERE? YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!
Me: Um, I'm getting put on standby for an earlier flight?
Hallway agent: Oh, okay (sheepishly back though the door)

I'm sure these people deal will a lot of clueless travellers. But it isn't like I'm wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops with a confused look on my face; I'm in business clothes with a roll bag and laptop bag with AC tags on them. And I'm not "supposed to be" at the transfer desk?
I must be a FOTSG because I am confused as to why the agent(s) would even say anything to you, especially like that. Makes zero sense.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Swissport TA in IAD told me I had to move my own bags through YYZ.

A few hour later, though the concierge had assured me the flight was being held, as did the inbound IC landing in YOW, the YOW GA made a point of scarring the bejesus out of 25 PAX, running the whole terminal to make their YHZ cx, that final boarding had started. Zero f's given, I was halfway down the air bridge as she was beligerantly explaining how it was critical she made that announcement to all but crying FOTSGs.

Writing that out I'm actually kinda pissed. Lazy and indifferent I get, but she was clearly enjoying the sadism.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.