Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Official Fare Bucket Check Request Thread

The Official Fare Bucket Check Request Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 26, 19, 3:34 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: yyznomad
Wiki Link
Attention: You DO NOT need ExpertFlyer to do a simple fare availability check! READ LOWER IN THIS WIKI FOR DETAILS regarding the BCD Availability site.

FARE AVAILABILITY REQUESTS

For those of you inquiring about fare class availability but don't have access to EF or KVS, then you can use this thread to make your request.
At a minimum (mandatory), please provide:
1. Operating Airline
2. Flight Number (airport to airport name not necessary but wouldn't hurt to include)
3. Date of travel (or multiple dates for flexibility)

It may be helpful (optional) to also include:
4. The specific fare class(es) you are interested in (if applicable)
5. If the flight(s) you are inquiring about are part of a multi-segment itinerary, it may be helpful to include all segments (e.g. A -> B -> C) even if you only care about one of them.

ALTERNATIVE: DIY!

BCD Travel Tool for Fare Availability

FYI for those of you who don't have access to EF or KVS and feel that doing your own query suffices... this is a free availability checker site (BCD) from one of the travel blogger sites:
CLICK HERE for BCD Travel Fare Availability Tool

1. The "hover over" results can be copied and then pasted to a document editor, however, you may want to manually format the results to your liking
2. It doesn't return any fare class that is zeroed out, so for example, if you are looking for "R" and it doesn't show on the returned fare classes, it simply means that it is R0.
3. This is "bare bones" and doesn't have features like alerts, saved queries, etc.
4. You can only search for dates starting from today to within 10 months from today.
5. Requires Captcha (human) verification, so it can get annoying if you're doing multiple successive queries

Example of what the hover over result looks like:

BookingClass - Seat Availability
J - 9
C - 9
D - 9
Z - 9
P - 9
R - 3
O - 7
E - 6
Y - 9
B - 9
M - 9
U - 9
H - 9
Q - 9
V - 9
W - 9
G - 9
S - 9

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 16, 15, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
How about you guys buy your own EF subscription vs. mooching off people who pay for it?

They won't stay in business if you all think a dedicated thread to get people who pay having to subsidize cheapskates who won't.

Come on. $10 a month and you can't afford that? Jeez.
Cheapening the EF experience?
Old Dec 16, 15, 4:50 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by PLeblond View Post
Please keep in mind that if this is for a longer itinerary, the availability could be different.
Very true - - as you are probably talking about the Married Segment logic. (AC does not seem to use it as much as LH/LX but they do it for sure).

However - the married segment availability with the connection will normally make it better (i.e. ,the point-to-point non-stop usually has the most restrictive access).
Old Dec 16, 15, 5:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Ok, for the newbie, what is EF?
Old Dec 16, 15, 5:48 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
EF = Expertflyer, which is a subscription-based service that lets you check for specific fare buckets and most importantly, e-upgrade space (the magical letter "R" for AC upgrades - not sure about other airlines).

http://www.expertflyer.com/

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller View Post
Old Dec 16, 15, 5:53 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
Originally Posted by Yhztraveller View Post
Hi. Welcome to Flyertalk.

EF = Expert Flyer. Its a website that offers information that is very useful to frequent flyers. Its off things like the number of seats available for purchase for every fare bucket, upgrade/redemption space (for certain airlines) seat alerts and a whole bunch of other things.

Very useful, and just nerdy-cool if you're a plane geek like me!
Old Dec 16, 15, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by YQMYMM View Post
For constant checking of fare buckets and flight status, I agree.

For a one-off fare bucket check or extended info on a delayed flight, let's help each other out. I am seriously considering a EF membership and if I do get one I'm more than happy to do checks for anyone on here.
I agree, and I've helped out when asked. I just don't think its a great idea to have a dedicated thread for this. Since EF is a paid service, and you gotta figure EF is also looking around here and could change their pricing and policies if there is a large group of people sharing this information publicly.

I have a few people who email me for EF info, and I think that's fine. Its the thread dedicated idea I take issue with.
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K/*G, WS Gold
I agree, and I've helped out when asked. I just don't think its a great idea to have a dedicated thread for this. Since EF is a paid service, and you gotta figure EF is also looking around here and could change their pricing and policies if there is a large group of people sharing this information publicly.

I have a few people who email me for EF info, and I think that's fine. Its the thread dedicated idea I take issue with.
I believe a few other boards on FT have a dedicated thread, EF hasn't changed their policies.

People asking for one-off info will not be paying for EF regardless. People who need the info on a regular basis will pay for a sub in order to get it immediately.
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .875MM, Marriott Gold, Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Hi. Welcome to Flyertalk.

EF = Expert Flyer. Its a website that offers information that is very useful to frequent flyers. Its off things like the number of seats available for purchase for every fare bucket, upgrade/redemption space (for certain airlines) seat alerts and a whole bunch of other things.

Very useful, and just nerdy-cool if you're a plane geek like me!
Awesome, thanks Pleblond and yqtyyz. This will help confirm availability for my flight pass bookings and upgrades.

Great to find a place to talk FF issues!
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:36 am

I believe a few other boards on FT have a dedicated thread, EF hasn't changed their policies.

People asking for one-off info will not be paying for EF regardless. People who need the info on a regular basis will pay for a sub in order to get it immediately.
Agreed. And it makes sense. I guess its because I don't like people exploiting companies' work to save a few bucks a month. Its not the way I roll.
Old Dec 16, 15, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K/*G, WS Gold
Agreed. And it makes sense. I guess its because I don't like people exploiting companies' work to save a few bucks a month. Its not the way I roll.
I see it as an opportunity for EF (for those who don't abuse). A dedicated thread promotes EF - a few have already asked about it in this thread. Some will ask for a check on here, then some will get the EF free trial and then some will pay for a sub.

Free exposure for a few 'free' checks.
Old Dec 16, 15, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
People pirating movies/tv shows/software would not be paying for it regardless. Therefore it should be legal.
Old Dec 16, 15, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
How about you guys buy your own EF subscription vs. mooching off people who pay for it?

They won't stay in business if you all think a dedicated thread to get people who pay having to subsidize cheapskates who won't.

Now now... tsk tsk.

if you read this forum enough you will know that I often respond to others' one off requests by providing info from my EF account. I am more than willing to help others here with one off requests.

I have an auto-renew yearly membership/subscription.
Old Dec 16, 15, 9:22 am

Programs: AC-SE MM

Agreed. I have Pro Membership with Expert Flyer and use it every week. Recommend you get you own
Old Dec 16, 15, 9:35 am

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
I see it as an opportunity for EF (for those who don't abuse). A dedicated thread promotes EF - a few have already asked about it in this thread. Some will ask for a check on here, then some will get the EF free trial and then some will pay for a sub.

Free exposure for a few 'free' checks.
Absolutely agree. Don't forget: EF has a built-in BB sharing option which provides the appropriate coding to specifically allow people to share results on forums such as FT.
Old Dec 16, 15, 9:58 am

Programs: AC E50K, Amex Plat, Fairmont Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I also answer the sporadic request for EF info but I do also think the people who ask (more than once) are somewhat cheap. I'll give them a pass if they don't travel much or have no upgrade opportunities (but then why are they on FT ?)

If you value something, you should financially support it so that it is viable and continues to exist. It's also not a huge expense in the relative scheme of things.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: