FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Official Fare Bucket Check Request Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1731866-official-fare-bucket-check-request-thread.html)

acysb87 Dec 16, 15 5:37 am


Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 25870885)
How about you guys buy your own EF subscription vs. mooching off people who pay for it?

They won't stay in business if you all think a dedicated thread to get people who pay having to subsidize cheapskates who won't.

Come on. $10 a month and you can't afford that? Jeez.

Cheapening the EF experience?;)

zrh2yvr Dec 16, 15 5:50 am


Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 25867550)
Please keep in mind that if this is for a longer itinerary, the availability could be different.

Very true - - as you are probably talking about the Married Segment logic. (AC does not seem to use it as much as LH/LX but they do it for sure).

However - the married segment availability with the connection will normally make it better (i.e. ,the point-to-point non-stop usually has the most restrictive access).

Yhztraveller Dec 16, 15 6:46 am

Ok, for the newbie, what is EF?

yqtyyz Dec 16, 15 6:48 am

EF = Expertflyer, which is a subscription-based service that lets you check for specific fare buckets and most importantly, e-upgrade space (the magical letter "R" for AC upgrades - not sure about other airlines).

http://www.expertflyer.com/


Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 25872297)
Ok, for the newbie, what is EF?


PLeblond Dec 16, 15 6:53 am


Originally Posted by Yhztraveller (Post 25872297)
Ok, for the newbie, what is EF?

Hi. Welcome to Flyertalk.

EF = Expert Flyer. Its a website that offers information that is very useful to frequent flyers. Its off things like the number of seats available for purchase for every fare bucket, upgrade/redemption space (for certain airlines) seat alerts and a whole bunch of other things.

Very useful, and just nerdy-cool if you're a plane geek like me!

PLeblond Dec 16, 15 6:56 am


Originally Posted by YQMYMM (Post 25870177)
For constant checking of fare buckets and flight status, I agree.

For a one-off fare bucket check or extended info on a delayed flight, let's help each other out. I am seriously considering a EF membership and if I do get one I'm more than happy to do checks for anyone on here.

I agree, and I've helped out when asked. I just don't think its a great idea to have a dedicated thread for this. Since EF is a paid service, and you gotta figure EF is also looking around here and could change their pricing and policies if there is a large group of people sharing this information publicly.

I have a few people who email me for EF info, and I think that's fine. Its the thread dedicated idea I take issue with.

YQMYMM Dec 16, 15 8:13 am


Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 25872335)
I agree, and I've helped out when asked. I just don't think its a great idea to have a dedicated thread for this. Since EF is a paid service, and you gotta figure EF is also looking around here and could change their pricing and policies if there is a large group of people sharing this information publicly.

I have a few people who email me for EF info, and I think that's fine. Its the thread dedicated idea I take issue with.

I believe a few other boards on FT have a dedicated thread, EF hasn't changed their policies.

People asking for one-off info will not be paying for EF regardless. People who need the info on a regular basis will pay for a sub in order to get it immediately.

Yhztraveller Dec 16, 15 8:25 am


Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 25872326)
Hi. Welcome to Flyertalk.

EF = Expert Flyer. Its a website that offers information that is very useful to frequent flyers. Its off things like the number of seats available for purchase for every fare bucket, upgrade/redemption space (for certain airlines) seat alerts and a whole bunch of other things.

Very useful, and just nerdy-cool if you're a plane geek like me!

Awesome, thanks Pleblond and yqtyyz. This will help confirm availability for my flight pass bookings and upgrades.

Great to find a place to talk FF issues!

PLeblond Dec 16, 15 8:36 am


Originally Posted by YQMYMM (Post 25872626)
I believe a few other boards on FT have a dedicated thread, EF hasn't changed their policies.

People asking for one-off info will not be paying for EF regardless. People who need the info on a regular basis will pay for a sub in order to get it immediately.

Agreed. And it makes sense. I guess its because I don't like people exploiting companies' work to save a few bucks a month. Its not the way I roll.

YQMYMM Dec 16, 15 9:08 am


Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 25872735)
Agreed. And it makes sense. I guess its because I don't like people exploiting companies' work to save a few bucks a month. Its not the way I roll.

I see it as an opportunity for EF (for those who don't abuse). A dedicated thread promotes EF - a few have already asked about it in this thread. Some will ask for a check on here, then some will get the EF free trial and then some will pay for a sub.

Free exposure for a few 'free' checks.

canadiancow Dec 16, 15 10:07 am


Originally Posted by YQMYMM (Post 25872626)
People asking for one-off info will not be paying for EF regardless. People who need the info on a regular basis will pay for a sub in order to get it immediately.

People pirating movies/tv shows/software would not be paying for it regardless. Therefore it should be legal.

yyznomad Dec 16, 15 10:15 am


Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 25870885)
How about you guys buy your own EF subscription vs. mooching off people who pay for it?

They won't stay in business if you all think a dedicated thread to get people who pay having to subsidize cheapskates who won't.

Come on. $10 a month and you can't afford that? Jeez.

Now now... tsk tsk.

if you read this forum enough you will know that I often respond to others' one off requests by providing info from my EF account. I am more than willing to help others here with one off requests.

I have an auto-renew yearly membership/subscription.

Silvercity Dec 16, 15 10:22 am


Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 25870885)
How about you guys buy your own EF subscription vs. mooching off people who pay for it?

They won't stay in business if you all think a dedicated thread to get people who pay having to subsidize cheapskates who won't.

Come on. $10 a month and you can't afford that? Jeez.

Agreed. I have Pro Membership with Expert Flyer and use it every week. Recommend you get you own

ffsim Dec 16, 15 10:35 am


Originally Posted by YQMYMM (Post 25872861)
I see it as an opportunity for EF (for those who don't abuse). A dedicated thread promotes EF - a few have already asked about it in this thread. Some will ask for a check on here, then some will get the EF free trial and then some will pay for a sub.

Free exposure for a few 'free' checks.

Absolutely agree. Don't forget: EF has a built-in BB sharing option which provides the appropriate coding to specifically allow people to share results on forums such as FT.

xray Dec 16, 15 10:58 am

I also answer the sporadic request for EF info but I do also think the people who ask (more than once) are somewhat cheap. I'll give them a pass if they don't travel much or have no upgrade opportunities (but then why are they on FT ?)

If you value something, you should financially support it so that it is viable and continues to exist. It's also not a huge expense in the relative scheme of things.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:37 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.