No YQ waiver? What gives?

Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Glad I don't need to book anything right now.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I wonder how much extra Aeroplan is making here and not giving it back to Air Canada because AC isn't expecting a YQ revenue for these? Maybe it's Aimia's plan to be profitable again.
$0. All tax and surcharge amounts collected go directly to Air Canada as the tickets are all processed through them (and show up as Air Canada on your CC). AC as the ticketing carrier would be responsible for remitting taxes/fees to the various governments/airports, and for YQ charged on non-AC metal, AC would remit this to the other carriers based on their agreements.

Things like Aeroplan booking fees, change fees are charged separately (and show up as Aeroplan on your CC)
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by D582
$0. All tax and surcharge amounts collected go directly to Air Canada as the tickets are all processed through them (and show up as Air Canada on your CC). AC as the ticketing carrier would be responsible for remitting taxes/fees to the various governments/airports, and for YQ charged on non-AC metal, AC would remit this to the other carriers based on their agreements.

Things like Aeroplan booking fees, change fees are charged separately (and show up as Aeroplan on your CC)
Right..... But YQ isn't supposed to be collected for elites, and it is being collected. So are you saying AC gets to keep that illicit revenue? or AE?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Right..... But YQ isn't supposed to be collected for elites, and it is being collected. So are you saying AC gets to keep that illicit revenue? or AE?
For SEs. BTW in the other thread the issue was reported as having been fixed. I wonder what made it pop up again.

They did not charge me the phone fee when I phoned and booked BTW. Since it was the last day before the devaluation, the thing was time-sensitive.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:03 pm

It would be AC keeping the money, but as it's a problem with AE's website, the problem is caused by them.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I posted in the "Please list your taxes...' thread with full details but I have an AC Rouge YYZ-PHX award ticket booked near end of November (for March) and it has a $15 Carrier Surcharge listed. It didn't really click in that it probably shouldn't be there because I thought US rewards had a $54 surcharge and since this didn't have that amount I figured I'm getting my SE waiver.
Therefore obvious question is - should this $15 Carrier Surcharge even be there?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by alc
since they only start this in March 1st, so I would think this one will last until end of Feb.
Exactly. Since you're not requalified yet, the system reads your SE status as ending at the end of February. Since your flight is after that date, it only sees you as a lower status elite, thus not eligible for the reduction. Once your flights from this week post, and the sweep is done sometime next week, you'll not be able to book as an SE for any flights from March 1st onward.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: AC*SE, CX*G, Priority Pass, NEXUS, Accor Plat, Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Exactly. Since you're not requalified yet, the system reads your SE status as ending at the end of February. Since your flight is after that date, it only sees you as a lower status elite, thus not eligible for the reduction. Once your flights from this week post, and the sweep is done sometime next week, you'll not be able to book as an SE for any flights from March 1st onward.
Wait a minute...I thought it was the status at the time of booking that matters when it comes to things like YQ waivers, "1KK" and so forth (while actual status at the time of flight only matters for things like airport services, AP mile bonuses, etc. since miles, much like AQDs apparently, post after the segment is flown). Could anyone confirm this definitively? Sorry if I've misread something upthread.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
From March 2/ 15

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post24445840

Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www4.aeroplan.com/whats_new/...745_2015_03_01

As part of the new Air Canada Altitude privileges effective March 01, 2015, the ClassicFlight Reward carrier surcharges (YQ only) will be waived for all Air Canada Altitude members for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

Furthermore, the ClassicFlight Reward carrier surcharges (YQ only) will be waived for Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members for travel between Canada and other international destinations. This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

If you are an Air Canada Altitude member making an eligible ClassicFlight Reward booking which includes a child, please note that due to technical difficulties you may be charged the carrier YQ surcharge. However, you may complete your booking and the surcharge will be automatically refunded within 3 business days. You will also receive a new itinerary receipt showing the adjustment within that same period. There is no need to contact the Aeroplan Contact Centre to request the refund.

Rest assured that we are diligently working towards a quick resolution. Should you require additional assistance, you can contact the Aeroplan Contact Centre.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mac84
Wait a minute...I thought it was the status at the time of booking that matters when it comes to things like YQ waivers, "1KK" and so forth (while actual status at the time of flight only matters for things like airport services, AP mile bonuses, etc. since miles, much like AQDs apparently, post after the segment is flown). Could anyone confirm this definitively? Sorry if I've misread something upthread.

I've been digging through FT threads, the Altitude and Aeroplan sites and I can't find that exact info.

Does anyone recall if it's buried in the AC Rep thread? I searched through a random series of 10+ pages of the 97 page thread and did not find anything definitive.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by mac84
In my experience, you are correct. I don't think you'll be able to find a definitive statement from AC to that effect, but there's no way that AC IT system is clever enough to figure out if you'll still have the same status when the flight date comes around. And it certainly wouldn't allow IKK for a future date if it could do that. Basically, it knows your status when you book and that's it. In the past your status when booking stayed with the PNR and even printed on the BP - I think that might have been fixed, but I'm not sure as I haven't had a status change in years. That's coming up this year, so I'll see what happens then!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I called in and asked about the $15 Carrier Surcharge that was still on my ticket and was told that it was not YQ (fuel) but YR, which includes other carrier surcharges and in this case is supposedly the Navcan charge.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shawneve
I called in and asked about the $15 Carrier Surcharge that was still on my ticket and was told that it was not YQ (fuel) but YR, which includes other carrier surcharges and in this case is supposedly the Navcan charge.

Yes, and this topic was hotly debated here a few months ago where I quoted replies from both Aeroplan and AC agents with varying explanations of YR - and how the charges are applied.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 24left
Yes, and this topic was hotly debated here a few months ago where I quoted replies from both Aeroplan and AC agents with varying explanations of YR - and how the charges are applied.
AC's response on this is that they are Navcan, and incorrectly labeled as Carrier Surcharges.

If Aeroplan called them "Navcan fee", none of these threads would come up.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC's response on this is that they are Navcan, and incorrectly labeled as Carrier Surcharges.

If Aeroplan called them "Navcan fee", none of these threads would come up.
But it is technically a carrier-imposed surcharge. There is no such thing as a Navcan fee. Navcan charges AC and then as cost recovery AC imposes a surcharge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.