Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How accurate is the "Preview Seat Availability" function on AC's site?

Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SE 100K

For previewing availability / farebuckets EF seems to be the gold standard.

How accurate is the "Preview Seat Availability" function on AC's site where it brings up the aircraft seat map before you buy a fare?

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 6, 2015 at 10:52 am
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:06 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
From my experience, it's good at showing what seats have been selected and are available - if a seat shows as available, then I've been able to select it as soon as I make my purchase.

In other words, it seems to be driven by the same data as the Seat Selection tool itself.

What a lot of people talk about with it, is that's it's not accurate for identifying how many seats are available, as there may be many people with unassigned seats.

So for seeing what specific seats are available, it's good - for fare availability, it's EF.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response.

How about for EUp Availability?

Based on what you're saying I assume it isn't great for previewing EUp availability then.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:48 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
No, I would never use the seat map / preview for that; EF would be the most accurate with the R-space.

At the same time, the tool to preview upgrade availability based on status (to show if eUpgrade space is available or if you'll be waitlisted) has been mostly accurate for me. However, there have been several posts on here lately where other people have seen that they can upgrade, but when they purchase they're waitlisted.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by Absolute
However, there have been several posts on here lately where other people have seen that they can upgrade, but when they purchase they're waitlisted.
That sounds like the ODRMS at work, described in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...d-segment.html
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC E50K
I expect the Y seats are not accurate in showing how many has been sold as Tango cannot select seats for free when making booking.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Spot planes
I expect the Y seats are not accurate in showing how many has been sold as Tango cannot select seats for free when making booking.
Neither are accurate.

For example, I just booked SFO-YYC (UA metal) through Aeroplan, in J.

I was not assigned a seat.

There are so many ways to book a ticket without being assigned a seat, even when you're eligible.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Absolute
At the same time, the tool to preview upgrade availability based on status (to show if eUpgrade space is available or if you'll be waitlisted) has been mostly accurate for me.
Rookie / Noob question... where is said tool? Haha.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Rookie / Noob question... where is said tool? Haha.
When you search for flights on aircanada.com, there is an option that you can select when the flight options are presented. ("Display only fares eligible for upgrade")

Once this is selected (and the page reloads...) then just select a flight option and it will show a waitlist or immediate upgrade.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Appreciate all the help guys.

One more question:

Flying LHR > YVR this Saturday (12th).
I'm E50k on a Flex fare. Just tried to request an EUp to PE. Got immediately Waitlisted.

When I go onto AC's site and do what Monkai just described, it shows Latitude fares have space to EUP to PE but Flex don't?

What's the explanation behind this? Just trying to learn / wrap my head around the intricacies of how EUP availability / priority works etc...

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: NEXUS GE, TSA-Pre, AC E50K
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Appreciate all the help guys.

One more question:

Flying LHR > YVR this Saturday (12th).
I'm E50k on a Flex fare. Just tried to request an EUp to PE. Got immediately Waitlisted.

When I go onto AC's site and do what Monkai just described, it shows Latitude fares have space to EUP to PE but Flex don't?

What's the explanation behind this? Just trying to learn / wrap my head around the intricacies of how EUP availability / priority works etc...

Thanks.

Flex fare upgrades into R space
and Latitude upgrades into Z space I believe

If you use expert flyer - it'll tell you how many seats are available in each fare class.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by knotseh
Flex fare upgrades into R space
and Latitude upgrades into Z space I believe

If you use expert flyer - it'll tell you how many seats are available in each fare class.
That's for business class. CanadianMike is upgrading into premium economy, which I thought was just N.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's for business class. CanadianMike is upgrading into premium economy, which I thought was just N.
Yeah exactly, I kinda thought the same.

Is there an additional farebucket Latitude EUPs into for PE?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.