Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

YVR international maple leaf lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR international maple leaf lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jawnbc
Was very pleased that the new Maple Leaf Lounge was open for my flight back to NZ from YYC. The last time I transited, the ghastly partial lounge was the only option, and it did not have showers. I try to route my travel from NZ to Europe via YVR when possible--much nicer than LAX or SFO. Plus I'm a Canuck and a former Aeroplan addict.

So I got to the lounge and was pleased that one of the two shower suites was free. Yes, that's right, only two. So guess there's no plans to increase *A traffic through YVR...how much harder would it have been to create three or four?

Regardless, I was in: the attendant met me at reception, but when she took out a 10 cent piece to try and open the door ("sorry sir, we don't yet have a key...") I should have expected what would happen. Eventually she gets the door open, I go in and...the door doesn't lock from the inside either. There's also nothing to put a carry-on onto, so after getting out my supplies, I put my carry-on against the door. Which turned out to be a good idea.

The shower suite was spacious, with a massive empty area between the toilet and the shower stall--so perhaps there's more kit going in that empty bit. I showered: there's a rainforest or a hand nozzle and both work really well. The product dispensers are great too. I had a nice shower and was towelling off when I heard voices outside the shower suite door.

"This is one of our new shower suites, but they're both occupied currently."

Except buddy tries the door and opens it--despite the door handle sign indicating it's occupied. I bellowed, he stopped.

I'm certainly not lacking any humour and was smiling when I went to reception and explained what had happened. The reaction was great: a mix of horror and immediate action to make sure it didn't happen again.
​​​​​​I would have stood buck naked, hands on my hips and waited for the door to open and said "I thought you were told it was occupied"
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Visited lounge yesterday. It was hugely disappointing.

I can see why the only thing Dorian was shared a picture of was the pen.

No more self serve alcohol: only a bar now.

The only hot food at 3pm was a "barley and corn risotto". There were two empty hot plates, so I waited a bit.

Then they brought out steamed rice. Yes, steamed rice so you can enjoy that with risotto.

I left at 4pm. Lounge design was pretty but the entire ground floor was packed.

Pretty disappointing. Let's see how the Skyteam Lounge will look like when it opens.

As it stands, I think United Clubs (the renovated ones) are better than the MLLs atm.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by keitherson

The only hot food at 3pm was a "barley and corn risotto". There were two empty hot plates, so I waited a bit.

Then they brought out steamed rice. Yes, steamed rice so you can enjoy that with risotto.

Pretty disappointing. Let's see how the Skyteam Lounge will look like when it opens.

As it stands, I think United Clubs (the renovated ones) are better than the MLLs atm.
To be fair, hot food at 3pm is an improvement. But I suspect that's the left over item from lunch. As for the rice at 3pm, perhaps they rolled out dinner a bit early?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC E75K
LOL!

Oh, AC...
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I have no issue with this, as long it doesn't result in huge lines to get a drink.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:48 pm

Wow, sounds like rice is replacing pickles. At least it was two different rices. Was the steamed rice jasmine? Bismati? I love jambalaya, maybe they can add that next?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I love jambalaya, maybe they can add that next?
That's actually a great idea - fairly easy and cheap to prepare, and it's still tasty after sitting around for a while.

Along the same lines, a good stew (Irish stew or similar) instead of the watery soups would be nice.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

That risotto is not new as it is also served at the YVR/YYZ/YUL Domestic MLLs as well. I suspect if you had stayed there until past 4:30pm you would've seen the real food out just like at YUL International MLL where there is bare bones before 4:30pm.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Passed through the International lounge briefly yesterday at 1030am. Love the design, hate the food (I.e. No food to be had other than toast and banana) and only ONE Slow Lavazzo coffee machine. Barebone!

The shower rooms are so new, they haven’t put locks in them. No hairdryer.

2 international flights at this hour Taipei and Seoul. Pitiful lounge at this time.

Even the YYZ MLL Dom have hot food - scrambled eggs and sausages
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by ACfly

Even the YYZ MLL Dom have hot food - scrambled eggs and sausages
I haven't seen hot breakfast in the domestic lounge for at least 2 years...
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
I haven't seen hot breakfast in the domestic lounge for at least 2 years...

Hot food is available at YYZ MLL Domestic , it’s the US lounge with no hot food
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: TK *G
A quick question here, are the scrambled eggs still taste like water and sausages still taste like paper? I am 99% sure the answer is yes but just in case.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by songsc
A quick question here, are the scrambled eggs still taste like water and sausages still taste like paper? I am 99% sure the answer is yes but just in case.
What did you expect from mass produced food? Gourmet?
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Very unimpressed. Flew into YVR on first flight out of YYZ, with connection to TPE ar 11:10. Went to door of lounge...they are not open till 9am..so I went to the premium plaza lounge...very nice showers.

Later sauntered over to the Intl Mll...abysmal food selection. Won’t be a priority of mine to revisit.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ACfly
The shower rooms are so new, they haven’t put locks in them. No hairdryer.
Wait, what?? How does that even make any sense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.