Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What do you prefer? AQD or no tango?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)

What do you prefer as your poison?

AQD or no tango? (If you recall a couple of years back, tango did not qualify for aqm or aqs).

Personally I prefer no tango.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Huh? I'd go for AQD every time, but i'm a bit confused. I will never buy a tango fare, and if an employer told me to, I'd tell them to sod off.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Huh? I'd go for AQD every time, but i'm a bit confused. I will never buy a tango fare, and if an employer told me to, I'd tell them to sod off.
I too would go for the AQD.

Tell an employer to "sod off" over a tango fare?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
I will never buy a tango fare, and if an employer told me to, I'd tell them to sod off.
Our corporate travel system (Concur) automatically drives you to the lowest fares (typically Tango). I don't think our company is unique in that regard, either.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I would have preferred no AQD and Tango went back to earning no AQM/AQS, combined with further increased AC metal requirements (75%)
Therefore if you hold status it would have been by buying only Flex fares or higher and majority on AC.
You would have to think the result would be the vast majority of FF'ers being profitable for AC and worth giving benefits to.
It wouldn't cull the SEs as much as AQD is going to, but it would ensure the people who have it spent good money.
There is also value in having a simpler program, (adding AQD requirement just overly complicates things) AC was already on their way to a revenue based system with the Tango/Flex fares, IMO they just needed to take it a step further.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: status-free
As a bottom feeder, of course I prefer AQD. It still leaves me some room to play around. I get credit (albeit limited) for my fairly frequent low-cost trips, and I can always do one or two fancy-schmancy trips to hit an AQD threshold.
My employer allows flex, but given the flex/tango price difference and the somewhat-discretionary nature of my travel (conferences), I'd rather go to three conferences on tango than two on flex.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by cooleddie

AQD or no tango? (If you recall a couple of years back, tango did not qualify for aqm or aqs).

Tango everytime, I paid with my own cash, so lowest fare is the most important. I don't even credit my flight to Aeroplan, so I don't care about the AQD.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by cooleddie

I don't think you mean AC gets rid of the Tango fare class, because that would not be feasible, they need it to compete pricewise.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Those who hate tango so much can I ask why?

Tango was not an option even on transborder flights but when it did become an option they introduced AQM and AQS.

As it is one often pays more for AC compared to other airlines so what is so horrible about wanting the lowest possible fare? And often as a business traveler I end up paying more for tango than some of those who bought flex earlier. So who brings in more revenue?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I need Tango to exist for leisure bookings, I book an occasional leisure flight in Flex or J but it's rare.

My problem with Tango is it's define as a "sale" fare. Which I don't feel like it is. Previously UA could/would offer a cheaper fare that earned 100% miles, so why would I accept 25% AQM, when I can do better by going to UA and getting 50% AQM or 100% on their own program.

I would love to see Tango get bumped to 50% on all destinations, but if it's strictly a AQD vs No Tango, I'll take the AQD.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I will never buy a tango fare, and if an employer told me to, I'd tell them to sod off.
This is how we know Flyertalk is completely detached from the reality of the flying public.

I don't mean SAP doesn't get to say that, entirely his business how he conducts, um, his business.

...just that 99% of consultants / employees would get laughed out of the room for saying something like that to an employer or client.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yvrgary
This is how we know Flyertalk is completely detached from the reality of the flying public.

I don't mean SAP doesn't get to say that, entirely his business how he conducts, um, his business.

...just that 99% of consultants / employees would get laughed out of the room for saying something like that to an employer or client.
When I purchase travel for consultants working for my employer there are only three considerations:

1. Buying an appropriate class of service for the length of travel
2. Getting the person to their destination as quickly as possible
3. Cost

How many miles they accumulate is not, and would never be, a consideration.

So for economy class travel booked more than a couple days in advance, it would almost certainly be Tango.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: Free Agent
ADQ. In my perfect FF program the only metric would be spend on the particular airline- other than access to lounges, I have never benefited from alliance partners- *A or others.

slight off topic but the previous poster raised it: I would never accept a consulting engagement where the client booked my travel. If I wanted to be an employee, then I wouldn't consult....
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I think Tango fares benefit more AC customers than AQD hurts. Look at it this way: after the 2015 changes, how many SEs started buying Tango fares as soon as they crossed 100k? It's a great way to keep travel costs down (for Altitude members and VBITs, equally) and with incremental benefits so far out of reach upon crossing 100k, why should anyone pay more for Flex?

More simply: Tango fares are your friend if (1) you don't care about status (2) you have no chance of reaching the next tier of status or (3) you're a 100k - 130k SE.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ffsim
ITango fares are your friend if (1) you don't care about status (2) you have no chance of reaching the next tier of status or (3) you're a 100k - 130k SE.
4) You qualify on segments as the majority of flying only earns the 250 mile minimum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.