Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Did Air Canada tell you that they cover only up to CAD$100 for hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Did Air Canada tell you that they cover only up to CAD$100 for hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Clarification: I am talking about situations where, for some reason, passengers did not get vouchers, but rather had to find accommodation on their own.

In terms of finding bargains: it is much more difficult to a cheap hotel room for tonight than for next week or next month.

Finally, the government rates are for government employees travelling within Canada. Rates for other countries vary from country to country. It all depends on the circumstances. A meal near the airport may be twice or three times as expensive as in downtown. But a stranded passenger who has to catch a flight the next morning does not have a choice.

Originally Posted by yulred
AC could probably be a bit more consistent. Vouchers seem to be more common, but the $100 limit has come up here before. It's not clear what the rules are for J pax, status and Y class.

Ben L's resolution of the issue in the other thread is indicative of a problem at some level. If AC has addressed it, they should reflect it.

I personally have doubts about how much traction the Montreal Convention argument will get. Frankly, I don't see any regulator in Canada being consumer friendly (Competition Bureau notwithstanding). Going for a high sealing might not be the best approach for things like hotels and food (although it's useful to cover other unforeseen costs).

The Government's guidelines, on the other hand, are, at the very least, reasonable. I think that would be a better approach - raise it in a balanced way.

Simple search reveals:

16.55 for breakfast
16.80 for lunch
44.40 for dinner

As for hotel rooms, an airline employee is just as capable of using Expedia as a pax. Base it on that, if nothing else.

The insurance argument is a bit weak. It simply adds to the cost of the ticket because the airline isn't holding up its end of the deal. We're reminded constantly that pax have to take responsibility when they're in control of a situation. By the same token, so should airlines.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by AirPassRightsCA
Clarification: I am talking about situations where, for some reason, passengers did not get vouchers, but rather had to find accommodation on their own.

In terms of finding bargains: it is much more difficult to a cheap hotel room for tonight than for next week or next month.

Finally, the government rates are for government employees travelling within Canada. Rates for other countries vary from country to country. It all depends on the circumstances. A meal near the airport may be twice or three times as expensive as in downtown. But a stranded passenger who has to catch a flight the next morning does not have a choice.
And the answer to your question so far seems to be an overwhelming they give vouchers.

Also looks like most people are very happy with how AC has handled the situation.

If you keep poking around and pressing I am sure you can eventually find someone who an AC employee made a mistake for.

But it seems pretty clear the current policies and way AC handles is 99% of the time has been compleatly ok.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps they treated frequent fliers differently. This forum can be a source of potential source of documents, but the 20 or 30 people who responded so far to the post is not representative.

As I said, I am not looking for people who were given vouchers, but rather for passengers who had to find accommodation on their own, and then Air Canada refused to pay it fully.

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
And the answer to your question so far seems to be an overwhelming they give vouchers.

Also looks like most people are very happy with how AC has handled the situation.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
But it seems pretty clear the current policies and way AC handles is 99% of the time has been compleatly ok.
...and if you can't get this group of people to complain about something Air Canada's done, that's really saying something.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yvrgary
...and if you can't get this group of people to complain about something Air Canada's done, that's really saying something.
It says that the specific people who read the post had no problems, or were treated better because of the Aeroplan status.

Apparently, others did have issues:

Originally Posted by hedgehog
In short, AC is offering me CAD $100 for a forced CAD $233 hotel expense. Should I expect better compensation than this?
And this is not the only case.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
I recall one other experience. Inbound did not arrive, can't remember issue. Forced overnight in Hartford. Voucher provided and we were sent to a Fairfield near the airport. It was terrible. Not very clean and non existant soundproofing. Needless to say, sleep difficult. On a points tx so wondered if that made a difference. Hotel arranged by AC.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Does this have to do with the overnight layover program, or IRROPS or both? It wouldn't surprise me if the overnight (more than 6 hours?) layover thing had this attached to it.

In IRROPS cases I've never been handed money/gc just a voucher. My buddy got a VDB in YYC last week and got put up at the Delta hotel. Not that Delta's are the nicest places on the planet, but they're for sure over $100. Now obvs AC isn't paying the rack rate either, but as long as I'm not stuck in a hole during IRROPS I don't really mind. I'd rather they sort it out with a voucher rather than hand me $100 and say you deal with it.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: AP SPG HH
I am booked with the overnight layover plan. AC (via ACV) has negotiated with at least two hotels at Pearson, Holiday Inn and Four points, Mississauga. Both rates online are slightly over $100. Both hotels are not without their issues going by Tripadvisor. One under construction the other with very poor service. After choosing the hotel I was issued a voucher. I would have thought AC would have negotiated with hotels that can offer a better experience or hotels with a higher rate (ie higher standard hopefully) since they would have worked out a contract price.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:22 am

I think the topic is very interesting. I have no personal experiences other than a cancellation at the origin which was handled very badly by AC. It took forever to get a taxi voucher and no one would issue the official statement as to the cancellation that any claims under the personal insurance would required. I see the majority here have some bad feeling towards the OP, yet I do not see any bad intentions in that OP. Its probably the wrong forum crowd to have an intelligent discussion, OP would have a better input by the thousands of stranded pax one sees on the news so often. I wonder how many would respond that they have been looked after fairly.
AC by far is better equipped to arrange a proper transit stay that is reasonable limiting the stress pax undergo when planes don't take off on time. Not all passengers are seasoned frequent fliers and/or professional flyers and take advantage of their status and/or smarts at the expense of less traveled crowd. Conventions are signed to mitigate different treatments afforded passengers and apply to all. Same as any other laws and regulations.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Nov 28, 2015 at 11:04 am
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: WestJet Gold; E35K/*Silver
Just as a side note; the way AC treats elites in IRROPS and the way it treats everyone else can be very different.

Given that almost everyone on this board is an elite flyer, we should be cautious in assuming everything is always handled as we have experienced.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Obviously, when you are stranded, you do not have the time to find the best bargain.
I would counter that when you are stranded, you have plenty of time to find the best bargain.

And often that's the smarter way to go because it's faster and doesn't involve standing in a line for hours and hours (like the last time I saw an issue in YYC the line was 4 hours deep).
+1 on insurance ^

This forum can be a source of potential source of documents, but the 20 or 30 people who responded so far to the post is not representative.
As we're constantly reminded, FTers in particular are not representative of the general flying public. You might want to try a different approach for your canvasing exercise. Maybe an ad at YYZ or in the En Route magazine would yield better results.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
What happens if I don't accept a voucher and I choose my own hotel (I prefer Starwood).
Can I ask AC to reimburse me?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yulred
AC could probably be a bit more consistent. Vouchers seem to be more common, but the $100 limit has come up here before. It's not clear what the rules are for J pax, status and Y class.

Ben L's resolution of the issue in the other thread is indicative of a problem at some level. If AC has addressed it, they should reflect it.

I personally have doubts about how much traction the Montreal Convention argument will get. Frankly, I don't see any regulator in Canada being consumer friendly (Competition Bureau notwithstanding). Going for a high sealing might not be the best approach for things like hotels and food (although it's useful to cover other unforeseen costs).

The Government's guidelines, on the other hand, are, at the very least, reasonable. I think that would be a better approach - raise it in a balanced way.

Simple search reveals:

16.55 for breakfast
16.80 for lunch
44.40 for dinner

As for hotel rooms, an airline employee is just as capable of using Expedia as a pax. Base it on that, if nothing else.

The insurance argument is a bit weak. It simply adds to the cost of the ticket because the airline isn't holding up its end of the deal. We're reminded constantly that pax have to take responsibility when they're in control of a situation. By the same token, so should airlines.
I don't understand those numbers. What I eat for lunch and dinner are roughly the same. The only difference is the amount of alcohol consumed. And I have no expectation that AC would pay for my booze.

Or in other words, I think the lunch number is low, and the dinner number is high.

Originally Posted by mendy7511
What happens if I don't accept a voucher and I choose my own hotel (I prefer Starwood).
Can I ask AC to reimburse me?
If AC has negotiated a $60/night rate at a reasonable hotel, and you go book a $300/night room on your own, why do you think they should be responsible for the difference?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't understand those numbers. What I eat for lunch and dinner are roughly the same. The only difference is the amount of alcohol consumed. And I have no expectation that AC would pay for my booze.

Or in other words, I think the lunch number is low, and the dinner number is high.

If AC has negotiated a $60/night rate at a reasonable hotel, and you go book a $300/night room on your own, why do you think they should be responsible for the difference?
Because they scheduled the pilots so tight that a no show caused them to go over time and need to schedule the flight for 20 hours later making me miss my originally booked prepaid hotel.
Why should I loose the night credit because they negotiated a cheaper rate somewhere else?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Absolute rubbish.
A typical hotel booking site (i.e. priceline/hotwire/trivago) does indeed allow you to sort by price.
And you think that gives you the best bargain? Hotels must love you as a guest. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.