FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   IRROPs Entitlement (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1727349-irrops-entitlement.html)

YQMYMM Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am

IRROPs Entitlement

Just went mechanical in YYC. 5.5 hour delay to destination on a domestic itinerary.

What am I entitled to?

philelite Nov 27, 2015 12:26 am

Food vouchers for sure, sounds like it might be overnight too so hotel voucher possibly?

Here's the official list, but I'd use it as a guideline. Sometimes more can be up for grabs depending on your status...

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...fl_delays.html

YQMYMM Nov 27, 2015 12:27 am

So just food and hotel?

Thanks for info!

YVR guy Nov 27, 2015 9:54 am

AC may also proactively email you a discount code towards future airfare purchase.

gcashin Nov 27, 2015 9:57 am

My experience for domestic flights with that length of delay is a meal voucher ($10-15) and typically a discount code of about 10%.

YQMYMM Nov 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Perfect, thanks. I just wanted to know what to expect (and push for) from the Gate Agent.

I got a hotel voucher, 2x $10 meal vouchers & 20% promo via email.

drvannostren Nov 28, 2015 8:36 am

That's pretty good for only a 5.5 hour delay. Unless it was overnight, then that's kinda standard fare.

You should always have travel insurance/credit card travel insurance as well. It's hard to know ALL the inns and outs but if the situations arise you're often entitled to a much better hotel (where you could also earn points on the CC and hotel points) plus more on the food budget. It also saves you some time from dealing with the AC agents, potentially you could make a phone call, get rebooked while on your way to a local favorite hotel. But again it depends on your insurance type.

YQMYMM Nov 28, 2015 8:50 am

It was an overnight, they put us up at the new Wyndham at YYC which was pretty nice.

I have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege, the insurance covers expenses on delays over 4 hours, however, they "pay last" so if AC offers a hotel room I have to take theirs. I could of made a claim for meals over the $20 they provided but I ate in the lounge and had PR07 on the flights so I didn't even use the vouchers. Still good for weather delays where AC doesn't cover.

drvannostren Nov 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Hmm interesting to know YQMYMM I didn't know they had the pay last thing. I've also got BCAA travel insurance/baggage/interruption, but I don't recall seeing that language in either. Is that written in the TD card policy?

Usually I'm fine with the AC hotel, but I was partially under the impression the travel insurance would be bought in part to avoid having to deal with that stuff.

FlyerTalker683455 Nov 28, 2015 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by YQMYMM (Post 25782207)
It was an overnight, they put us up at the new Wyndham at YYC which was pretty nice.

I have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege, the insurance covers expenses on delays over 4 hours, however, they "pay last" so if AC offers a hotel room I have to take theirs. I could of made a claim for meals over the $20 they provided but I ate in the lounge and had PR07 on the flights so I didn't even use the vouchers. Still good for weather delays where AC doesn't cover.

"Could have". Not could of. Sorry. Just a thing that really bugs me. No offense.

canadiancow Nov 29, 2015 10:33 am

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 25783770)
Hmm interesting to know YQMYMM I didn't know they had the pay last thing. I've also got BCAA travel insurance/baggage/interruption, but I don't recall seeing that language in either. Is that written in the TD card policy?

Usually I'm fine with the AC hotel, but I was partially under the impression the travel insurance would be bought in part to avoid having to deal with that stuff.

I thought most insurance was like that.

My Chase card is very similar. They'll only cover what the airline doesn't. I would bet that a delay caused by a mechanical issue where I claim a hotel would have a lot of explaining required.

Luckily I've only ever used it on UA/AA weather delays, so I was provided nothing by the airline.

yul36 Nov 29, 2015 12:02 pm

I had a hotel issue in SFO, the only choice the airline could offer was near SJC,
there had been WX and some mechanical issues, so nothing was available close by. The agent said as far as she was concerned if I did not want the room, i might want to fall back on my cc ins. On the delay report they put airline unable to offer accommodation.

PLeblond Nov 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 25786112)
I thought most insurance was like that.

My Chase card is very similar. They'll only cover what the airline doesn't. I would bet that a delay caused by a mechanical issue where I claim a hotel would have a lot of explaining required.

Luckily I've only ever used it on UA/AA weather delays, so I was provided nothing by the airline.

According to a recent post, apparently *G gets protection on *A carriers even in WX. Did you bring that up with UA, or were you not aware at that time?

canadiancow Nov 29, 2015 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond (Post 25786657)
According to a recent post, apparently *G gets protection on *A carriers even in WX. Did you bring that up with UA, or were you not aware at that time?

That's only on intercontinental trips.

InTheAirGuy Nov 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by YQMYMM (Post 25777474)
Just went mechanical in YYC. 5.5 hour delay to destination on a domestic itinerary.

What am I entitled to?

You should be entitled to your entitlements.