Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada enforcement of inear headphones connected to IFE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada enforcement of inear headphones connected to IFE

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by padawanflyer
This. Drives me nuts, the IFE starts playing again for 30 seconds or so between each language too, so I'm always trying to hit pause quickly in the first gap so I can tune out until all the languages have been covered rather than be interrupted each time. I know... their are worse problems in this world, but sometimes the little ones just get to you...
+1
And then, FA comes to ask your choice for dinner, and you desperately see the movie playing on, while trying to focus on what FA is saying.
And then, when all is clear, you hit "rewind" but, it goes back too far, and you have to see again the last 15min ...

Back to the topic.
I agree that there are some stupid rules (in aviation and in other fields). But, just keep in mind that these are often due to some stupid persons.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This is just more Canadian-style nannystate nonsense - WE know what's best for YOU, so just follow instructions.

There is just some odd issue with AC and rules - for example, AC is the ONLY airline of any country that requires you to fill in a form and submit it if you are traveling on a US passport, and then goes further by editing the form to change the optional contact information to mandatory

Transport Canada requires an ID check while boarding flights in the transborder area - after US immigration has already thoroughly inspected your identity

Frankly, people should be left alone if they're not doing anything that puts others at risk. If someone wants to connect to their phone and listen to music at full volume with their earbuds or over-ear headphones, who cares? If there is an emergency and they don't get the message right away, they will probably get a clue when I'm stepping on their head as I climb out of the window seat on my way to the exit.

Stop the nannystate madness!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Originally Posted by Allvest
Yes indeed there are plenty of stupid rules. But not following FA instructions is a serious breach of etiquette, if not the law. The law maybe an ..., but then lobby to change the law, don't be an ... yourself posting on FT how you are the arbiter of all laws and so proud to flaunt them. I just don't wear headphones on take off and landing. It's not complicated to follow such requirement.
Is there some way we could actually lobby to have this rule removed? A Change.org petition to the new Minister, perhaps? I can use my headphones on foreign carriers departing Canada.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Is there some way we could actually lobby to have this rule removed? A Change.org petition to the new Minister, perhaps? I can use my headphones on foreign carriers departing Canada.
I'd sign that petition!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Next thread:

AC FA was feeling between my thighs prior to takeoff!
You have nice thoughts.

If the FA is of the opposite sex, and is attractive...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
On my last 58 ish segments........ I would say at least 35 I saw someone wearing Bose noise cancelling headphones and they never said anything.
Usually use my QC20s and manage to get away with it most times. Phone in pocket, so it looks like I'm plugged into the IFE on narrow bodies.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Transport Canada requires an ID check while boarding flights in the transborder area - after US immigration has already thoroughly inspected your identity
Many rules are for the edge cases, the exceptions.

Having a positive ID check at boarding prevents swapping of boarding passes. It may not happen often, but if passports are not checked, a person could appear to depart the country when only their boarding pass was used but they never left. (They could turn around and exit through Canadian immigration.)
--
13F
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Good job SAP. This thread just got pushed out on FT social media a few min ago
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Sorry but rules are rules and I don't see why it's such a big deal to give your undivided attention for a few minutes even if it's your third time that day or your 20th time that week. Not so much for people with headphones but it drives me nuts when people are talking throughout the safety announcement. Not that I want to hear it as I've heard it a million times but not everyone has and some people need to pay attention without the distraction of people conversing around them.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
+1
And then, FA comes to ask your choice for dinner, and you desperately see the movie playing on, while trying to focus on what FA is saying.
And then, when all is clear, you hit "rewind" but, it goes back too far, and you have to see again the last 15min ...
^^^ I thought I was the only one going mental about something as minor as this!!

I wouldn't mind the announcements so much if they didn't always seem to have the volume at 1000% - I don't know how many times I've ripped the buds out of my ears because of the screaming pain they've just caused. My most recent TK and LO flights didn't even have their announcements over IFE, that was a pleasant switch!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Good job SAP. This thread just got pushed out on FT social media a few min ago
Huh?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Allvest
..But not following FA instructions is a serious breach of etiquette, if not the law. The law maybe an ..., but then lobby to change the law, don't be an ... yourself posting on FT how you are the arbiter of all laws..
Canadian law, at the very worst. Not "all laws". It's not like the OP interfered with a US agency such as the FAA with sway, power, and determination.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:44 pm

Weird AC Headphone Policy

All,

A strange thing happened on an Air Canada flight about a year ago and I wanted to get the sage wisdom of the collective group.

I was flying from JFK to YYC for a wedding. Everything was fine as we were taxiing until the FA asked me to remove my over-ear headphones and not use them until cruising altitude was reached. I thought nothing of it and obliged. On the way back the same thing happened BUT the FA said I could wear ear buds (which I had).

What is the deal with this? I had never heard or experienced of any headphone policy. For a few months after I always brought the over-ears to see if any other carrier had a similar policy - no one else ever said anything. Not a big deal but so weird.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:52 pm

AC FA recently had me remove my earbuds for takeoff. Seems overly cautious to me, but at least it was consistent.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NKBNYC
All,

A strange thing happened on an Air Canada flight about a year ago and I wanted to get the sage wisdom of the collective group.

I was flying from JFK to YYC for a wedding. Everything was fine as we were taxiing until the FA asked me to remove my over-ear headphones and not use them until cruising altitude was reached. I thought nothing of it and obliged. On the way back the same thing happened BUT the FA said I could wear ear buds (which I had).

What is the deal with this? I had never heard or experienced of any headphone policy. For a few months after I always brought the over-ears to see if any other carrier had a similar policy - no one else ever said anything. Not a big deal but so weird.
It is an AC policy and has been for some time. Here is their own answer:

"Safety is always our number one concern. For this reason, only ear bud type earphones connected into our in-flight entertainment (IFE) system are allowed for what we term “Critical phases of flight”. These phases include whenever the aircraft is taxiing, taking-off or landing. If a cabin crew needs to make an important safety announcement, the IFEis paused allowing the announcement to be heard through your earphones. Other types of earphones (over the head, noise reducing, etc) are not allowed during critical phases of flight as they would prevent you from hearing safety announcements. Furthermore, since these earphones could cause passengers to trip and impede an evacuation, they are only allowed once the seat belt sign has been turned off."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.