Altitude 2020

Old Nov 23, 15, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Altitude 2020

So based off the new devaluations/requirements, I wanna see what you guys think it'll be like in 2020.

In all seriousness, it seems like there's at least a minor deval every year, so where does it end? 5 years isn't far off, do you really think the AQD will still be $20k in 2020? It appears that the only people wanted as top tier members are those who don't care about it. No offense to anyone, but if you're always buying J tickets, I don't see that much of a difference between being an SE and just a constant J customer. Maybe AC would prefer there just be two tiers, SE and then Frequent Traveler or something. Will they devalue their way to that? Something else? I can't see a day where they don't eliminate either P25 & E35 or 50k while keeping the lowest tier.
Old Nov 23, 15, 2:27 pm
formerly yvrgary

Programs: AC 75K, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by drvannostren View Post
I can't see a day where they don't eliminate either P25 & E35 or 50k while keeping the lowest tier.
Seriously, is there another major FFP with this many tiers?

Until they posted qualifying levels today, I expected to see 25 and 35 get merged.
Old Nov 23, 15, 3:00 pm

IMHO there will be no FF program by 2020. AC will be the first one to cancel the FF program and then others will follow.
Old Nov 23, 15, 5:58 pm

I think they'll move to a true profit-based Altitude FF program eventually. Not revenue, but *profit*.

Which means it will be almost impossible for individuals to track their progress towards achieving certain goals. AC will simply decide they want "x" number of SE's, "y" number of E's, and "z" number of P's, run a database query to that effect, and it will spit out the top however many thousand customers they want to recognize.

No longer will the people who pay for regional and mid-con Latitude and J fares, go unrecognized and unloved by AC. While the gamers on the cheapest long-haul Int'l fares, a good chunk not even on AC metal, end up with the status.
Old Nov 23, 15, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by pitz View Post
I think they'll move to a true profit-based Altitude FF program eventually. Not revenue, but *profit*.
Ben Smith has already said that this will be the case.
Old Nov 23, 15, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
SE100k Requirements in 2020:

100,000 AQM - all on AC metal
95 AQM - all on AC metal
$20k AQD - base fare only
Additional $20k copay for SE100k status
Old Nov 23, 15, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by ac777 View Post
IMHO there will be no FF program by 2020. AC will be the first one to cancel the FF program and then others will follow.

this could happen although I can't see AC being the first to do it

there was a day when you simply got what you paid for, who knows maybe FF program will disappear as you state
Old Nov 23, 15, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by pitz View Post
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
Ben Smith has already said that this will be the case.
With Air Canada's IT, what could possibly go wrong?
Old Nov 23, 15, 8:33 pm

As much as everybody seems to love to hate AC they were the first North American airline to debundle fairs (a la the old Tango brand) which one of the Ben's has posted on here about before.

My bold predictions for 2020, You get what you pay for:

- Less upgrades. More LMU's or discounted business class. Ultimately less business class seats if they aren't selling.
- Less lounge access. Lounge access available for purchase or via premium fares.
- Less priority baggage handling but better priority baggage service. Available on premium fares or via add on charges.

It seems clear that this is how the world is going; what I can't reconcile is the price that AC sells many of the privileges via credit cards. Maybe what they are saying is the top tier benefits (lots of eUps and IKK) are the real cost and it doesn't really cost that much to service lounge guests? Hard to say.

Also not sure where an unbundled world leaves the Star Alliance. Unless another airlines *G member's MLL usage generates a charge back to the airline that granted status.
Old Nov 29, 15, 11:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018/19/20
The future will be AQD

By 2020, Air Canada status will be 100% based on your spending. No more segments or miles flown. It will be pure spending with Air Canada, which is what the program is intended to be from the start.
American Airlines - the first airline with a frequent flyer program - has just moved to a 100% spending loyalty program.

Check out the story at
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...wards-to-fares
Old Nov 29, 15, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Macker View Post
By 2020, Air Canada status will be 100% based on your spending. No more segments or miles flown. It will be pure spending with Air Canada, which is what the program is intended to be from the start.
American Airlines - the first airline with a frequent flyer program - has just moved to a 100% spending loyalty program.

Check out the story at
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...wards-to-fares
AA's status is still based on miles/segments flown. It's only the reward miles that are based on spend.
Old Nov 29, 15, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC25K, AS MVP, WS Silver, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, DL,BA,KE
My prediction: By 2020, Air Canada and Aeroplan will no longer be partners. Air Canada will have a new FFP, 100% base on revenue. After losing Air Canada, Aeroplan will no longer operate, Aimia goes bankrupt.
Old Nov 29, 15, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC 1MM/SE 100K, MR Lifetime Premiere Plat, Hyatt Globalist
AC will continue to take the worst from other FP programs.

For example, I'm still shocked that Alaska and United don't offer universal system-wide lounge access regardless of fare class, as long as you have *G (or equivalent).

So I expect that AC will no longer offer Lounge Access, especially since their lounges are 10x better than United/Alaska. Maybe SEs will get a "discount" or 4 free entries.

Then there's LH, which only gives 25% bonus to Senator and even HON members. So SEs will now only get a 25% bonus, not 100%.

Oh and if we're comparing it to LH, AC will consider SE to be like HON, so they'll require 600K miles in two years. 50% on AC metal.
Old Nov 29, 15, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
My prediction: By 2020, Air Canada and Aeroplan will no longer be partners. Air Canada will have a new FFP, 100% base on revenue. After losing Air Canada, Aeroplan will no longer operate, Aimia goes bankrupt.
I think that is a very real scenario - not sure if its 2020, but I would say whenever the AC/ Aimia contract expires.
Old Nov 29, 15, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
Let's say you're right...what happens to all those existing AP miles? Turn to dust?

I don't have a huge stockpile, but I have enough that my next 4-5 leisure flights can be paid for with miles, but I'd rather save that for when I have less disposable income as well, but of course I don't want them to go up in smoke either.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: