Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Old Nov 23, 15, 1:46 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 74
Here is an upcoming itinerary. Ticketed with AC on 014 stock.
If the A3 flight doesn't count for AQD, how could they calculate this? It was cheaper to fly to ATH than just to LHR btw.

AC858 Toronto, Pearson Int'l (YYZ)
Thu 11-Feb 2016 23:55 - Terminal 1
London, Heathrow (LHR)
Fri 12-Feb 2016
11:50 - Terminal 2
Premium Economy (lowest), N

A36011
London, Heathrow (LHR)
Sat 19-Mar 2016
12:15 - Terminal 2
Athens (ATH)
Sat 19-Mar 2016
17:50
Flex, M

AC90012
Athens (ATH)
Thu 24-Mar 2016
06:00
Munich, Franz Josef Strauss (MUC)
Thu 24-Mar 2016
07:35 - Terminal 2
Business Class (lowest), P

AC847
Munich, Franz Josef Strauss (MUC)
Thu 24-Mar 2016
11:50 - Terminal 2
Toronto, Pearson Int'l (YYZ)
Thu 24-Mar 2016
16:05 - Terminal 1
Business Class (lowest), P
Maserati is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:47 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 4,134
Originally Posted by Maserati View Post
YYZ-FRA-ATH return etc. 014 stock, FRA-ATH on LH. This would not have counted for AQM but will now count for AQD. Some gain.
True, but those notorious European K fares still exist. YVR-YUL-ZRH on sale at a half decent price is likely K and will earn 25% from YVR-YUL and 0% on the LX flight and quite possible 0 AQD as well depending on where you're getting it from.

This new program is also making me think of when I'll have to use my miles or how i'll use them. I'm still gonna end up on AC a lot in 2016, and I still will fly Star alliance a bunch and continue to earn AP miles (as much as you guys don't value them since you fly so much, I do value them), but once I lose my SE and alllllll that YQ comes back there goes IKK...there goes being able to pick flights to redeem on, or redeeming at Christmas. It'll basically be chasing those UA and other no YQ airlines until that eventually gets added on. Got myself quite a nice AP Christmas ticket this year, which without SE I either wouldn't have gotten or would've cost like $800 + the points...making it pointless.
drvannostren is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:48 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Programs: Altitude 50K
Posts: 1,462
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
It looks like FP's purchases last year, but valid in 2016, won't count towards AQD, but only AQM/AQS. From the wording, I take it that only NEW FP purchases as of January 1st, 2016, will count towards AQD.

And man, I'm starting to regret the $196 BOS-YYZ-CDG-YYZ-BOS flights, since that is just pennies against the AQD.
This infuriates me as I just bought a 10-credit East West pass that I won't even use until January.
YVR72 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:49 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
Posts: 175
I'm no SE and the AQS$ seems pretty easy to hit for me based on the lower tiers I usually achieve. The $20K spend really sucks for the higher ups, though.
trek604 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:50 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: sqrt(-united states of apologist)
Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Posts: 5,353
Originally Posted by YYT82 View Post
Although I will have no problems making the cut, the question is 'am I willing to'?

I'm waiting to see what the benefits look like for 2017, and then I'll decide. Lots of international travels coming up for 2016.

That's pretty arrogant for AC, but I'm sure many of us will still fly AC.
Relevant question (I think):

If you were already spending >$20K each year, why does the fact that AC formalized it make it any different? It's not like your spending pattern would have to change anyway.
SparseFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:50 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 241
Almost all my flights are yyj-yvr and flex fares average about $350 return. To hit the $20K I'm now going to have to do 115 segments on the run.

By bottom is feeling the pain as much as my wallet is!
dudestir is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:52 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 596
Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
The TK flights would if you purchase them as an AC codeshare (014 stock and an ACXXXX flights, not a TKXXXX flight).
So no AQD if you purchased IST-ATH on a 014 AC ticket, but the flight no. was TKXXXX?
Another example is: FRA-DXB- LH 630 or AC 9088- both of which can be purchased on an AC 014 ticket. In this case would AC 9088 earn AQD while LH 630 would not (both ticketed as 014- booked directly with AC)?
marke190 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:53 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Posts: 4,134
Originally Posted by shawneve View Post
Agreed.
And with the disproportionate spend required for SE, the benefits better be more attractive.
But we all know they will just get enhanced less than the other tiers.

Someone else also mentioned, why not just go pure spend? Why bother with AQM and AQS.
If I take approx. 25 Flex flights from YYZ-YVR I would likely hit that spend, but unless I connect, I won't hit the AQS. I can hit that spend which is important to AC, why not let me do it without the hassle of connecting?
I would never make it that way, but I see your point. Could they not just do AQM/AQS/AQD or a higher AQD as a standalone. IE: Spend $40k, SE...regardless of the rest. Because of the restrictions on how to get the AQD, they'd still be making a killing off you. Maybe $40 isn't the right number but I think it does make sense.
drvannostren is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:53 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: YYJ
Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Plat/Lifetime Gold, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat
Posts: 1,631
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Relevant question (I think):

If you were already spending >$20K each year, why does the fact that AC formalized it make it any different? It's not like your spending pattern would have to change anyway.
Well it would be nice if they could show me what my AQD spend has been historically. I need to decide if I should be changing my habits or not.
Nitehawk is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:54 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by marke190 View Post
So no AQD if you purchased IST-ATH on a 014 AC ticket, but the flight no. was TKXXXX?
Another example is: FRA-DXB- LH 630 or AC 9088- both of which can be purchased on an AC 014 ticket. In this case would AC 9088 earn AQD while LH 630 would not (both ticketed as 014- booked directly with AC)?
Similar to my example above. I am thinking both would earn.
Maserati is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:54 pm
  #101  
formerly yvrgary
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC 75K, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 3,032
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
This is because AC is not interested in customers that reach the status because they find it good value.

They want to give SE perks to customers who happen to fly a lot on AC at premium fares. To motivate them to stay with AC (eg "well I have top tier with AC, might as well continue to fly with them").

Not to acquire flyers that will min-max their spending to extract value out of the program.

From that perspective, it becomes clear that announcing the 2017 benefits is irrelevant for them and their target audience.
Someone somewhere must be sitting on a spreadsheet they're confident in, that says doing this will save them more in reduced benefits paid out than they'll lose from people who reduce their AC spend because of this.

We'll see where the rest of the program falls, from this I don't see a single dollar in new revenue for AC, only cut costs.

I mean, what percentage of 35Ks were getting to 35,000 AQM or 35 segments on less than $114/leg? Even Rapidair Y commuters have a hard time getting that low.

...so, yeah, this looks like a way to turn a ton of SEs into 75ks.
YOWgary is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:54 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Posts: 4,328
Originally Posted by YVR72 View Post
I'm somebody that takes advantage of LMUs and it has always frustrated me that I get no loyalty credit at all for that spend- which is significant in some cases. I spend a couple thousand a year on LMUs.

I don't see any mentioned of that here.
It *is* mentioned.
LMU is NOT AQD.
See my post #25. Details on the AC web page.
flyquiet is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:54 pm
  #103  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,433
The $20k/year for SE100k is steep. Too bad they didn't scale it proportionately to the rest of the levels.

The least they could do is state what the benefits of SE100k for 2016 and 2017 are. To spend $20k and not know what you are getting is unfair to the consumer.
Diabeetus is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:55 pm
  #104  
SPG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: YOW
Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,633
Originally Posted by marke190 View Post
So no AQD if you purchased IST-ATH on a 014 AC ticket, but the flight no. was TKXXXX?
Another example is: FRA-DXB- LH 630 or AC 9088- both of which can be purchased on an AC 014 ticket. In this case would AC 9088 earn AQD while LH 630 would not (both ticketed as 014- booked directly with AC)?
Correct, that's how I read the FAQ.

Codeshare flights marketed by Air Canada and operated by Star AllianceTM partner airlines ticketed on Air Canada ticket stock (ticket numbers beginning with 014)
It has to be an AC flight number, as that's the one marketed by Air Canada while the TK/LH flight is marketed by the operating airline.
Absolute is offline  
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:56 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: YYT/YYC/TPE
Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Posts: 1,788
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
Relevant question (I think):

If you were already spending >$20K each year, why does the fact that AC formalized it make it any different? It's not like your spending pattern would have to change anyway.
Because I had choices (and I pushed some spend to AC because I wanted to), and I will have even more choices next year (but I may start pushing away from AC since I can).
YYT82 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: