Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:38 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I wonder if it would have made more sense and cause less outrage if AC simply did a couple of things:

All levels had a $0.20/mile spend minimum too.

AQD can only be earned on AC metal, but include taxes. This would have taken care of IT and codeshare issues.
Including taxes would have made life much simpler.

But based on the comments around here, I think a 20 cpm threshold for the other tiers would have pissed off a lot of people.

Originally Posted by YYT82
That's the reason I don't book codeshares, even if they earn me AQD next year. There are just so many disadvantages with codeshares that make them unattractive: no online check-in, no seat selection, no upgrades.
So do you book it when you need connecting flights on *A partners? Will AC reservations ticket the flights on the phone at the non-codeshare price? Do you call a TA? Book separate PNRs yourself online?

And how do you deal with IRROPs etc?

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
So? UA/AA/AS offers no YQ on ALL airlines (except BA)
True, but AC doesn't, so a YQ waiver remains very valuable for those who get it.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by adam.smith
So do you book it when you need connecting flights on *A partners? Will AC reservations ticket the flights on the phone at the non-codeshare price? Do you call a TA? Book separate PNRs yourself online?

And how do you deal with IRROPs etc?
As long as the *A partner flight has a codeshare with AC, you can always book the itinerary with the actual *A flight number. For example, YYT-YUL-ZRH-LHR-YYT January 12 departure and January 18 return V booking class can be booked as either AC8637-AC6820-AC6829-AC823 or AC8637-LX87-LX316-AC823. I would book the latter, and in most cases the price would be the same (in this particular example the price is higher by $23 CAD due to LX YR). AC reservations will ticket the itinerary either way. IRROPS is a non-issue as this is still one PNR.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
As long as the *A partner flight has a codeshare with AC, you can always book the itinerary with the actual *A flight number. For example, YYT-YUL-ZRH-LHR-YYT January 12 departure and January 18 return V booking class can be booked as either AC8637-AC6820-AC6829-AC823 or AC8637-LX87-LX316-AC823. I would book the latter, and in most cases the price would be the same (in this particular example the price is higher by $23 CAD due to LX YR). AC reservations will ticket the itinerary either way. IRROPS is a non-issue as this is still one PNR.
Have you run into the situation above though (per ABG's post) where the codeshare was much more expensive than booking the two flights separately? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get something like that ticketed on one PNR at the lower price, ideally.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:56 am

Have you run into the situation above though (per ABG's post) where the codeshare was much more expensive than booking the two flights separately? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get something like that ticketed on one PNR at the lower price, ideally.
For economy class tickets, generally no. For premium economy, codeshares may be more expensive; and for discounted business class, definitely a nightmare!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:03 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
My fare to NAP was based on ticket.... no split ticketing.
All AC codes shares (and heck all *A) can get goofy. I've been doing UA fares YUL-LGA for less than the AC fare for a while now. AC doesn't seem to care.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
So? UA/AA/AS offers no YQ on ALL airlines (except BA)
That may work for some - or many - but almost all of my travel is in Canada, so I'm more or less captive to AC. I suspect I'm not alone.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Since the following post may be too long for many people, I will summarise a lot of my comments here:[LIST][*]$20K is not outrageous for SE status.[*]AC will likely botch the implementation of the IT on AQD.[*]Hopefully AC will come to its senses and loosen the requirement as far as *A partners go, because this will be a big stumbling block for a lot of us.[*]Some people (including many on FT) think they are good customers for AC because they fly a lot on AC/*A and rack up a lot of AQM/AQS, but they're not as good customers as they think. Get over it.
+1^

The party has been over for some time but for those partygoer hangers-on still waking up with a hangover, the party is OFFICIALLY over.

I took full advantage of all the opportunities since 1998 as SE. I have been gradually switching over for the last couple of years to a more efficient mode of thinking (sometimes more costly, sometimes not) to get the benefits that I want from which ever carrier I fly. Doesn't mean there still aren't ways to derive the "best value" out of Altitude and I continue to explore those options--after all it is MY money and I have found some great deals on AC with flight passes that have saved me a bundle while keeping status.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I actually have no problems with the spread between the levels, the only thing I have issues with is the AQD being strictly on AC metals or AC codeshares. I would be more fine with it being AC metals or AC 014 stock tickets. I HATE CODESHARES!
AC doesn't care how much you spend, they care about how much they make.

Clearly, the LX marketed flight makes them significantly less money than booking it as an AC codeshare.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
True, but AC doesn't, so a YQ waiver remains very valuable for those who get it.
How is it valuable when the competition offers it?
It is still worse than their competition.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:21 am

It's a benefit of status. If you will fly mostly with AC and/or accumulate lots of Aeroplan miles because that's what works for your flying/spending patterns, you're better to have status and get the YQ waiver than not.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Dorian
Huh? What lounges are you talking about?
as i said in the post you quoted: lhr. the ua club in lhr is far better than the mll in lhr.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It's all about the tradeoffs though.

I had the opportunity to access a UA GS account to see if she could get me some flights that I couldn't through Aeroplan.

Her availability on UA, even in Y, was lackluster (at the saver levels). An AC SE has access to way more in both Y and J than a UA GS (I assume 1K is even less) on UA metal.

So sure, they avoid the LH YQ. But I know I can get a flight anywhere any time on AC metal in Y.

If you earn 200k miles per year, and want to fly LH F as your one big trip, then yes, UA is better. But if you can't plan your trips 355 days in advance, and just want to be able to book a last minute SFO-YYZ in J, AC is better.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC doesn't care how much you spend, they care about how much they make.

Clearly, the LX marketed flight makes them significantly less money than booking it as an AC codeshare.
While I don't dispute the profit distribution of the codeshares booking, I generally ensure all of my TATL segments are on AC metal because I can use eUp. The problem I have is that AC doesn't fly to ARN/OSL/TXL/DUS, so I am forced to use SK or LH. It's not the customer's fault that AC doesn't fly to all destinations. If I ticket on a 014 stock, I don't think I need to be punished for their own lack of destinations. That's why alliances were established.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
That's the reason I don't book codeshares, even if they earn me AQD next year. There are just so many disadvantages with codeshares that make them unattractive: no online check-in, no seat selection, no upgrades.

My flying pattern next year, even without booking codeshares, will clear $20K AQD no problems, so I will not put myself in a disadvantaged position.
I fell into that trap earlier this year YOW-LHR-JNB. LHR-JNB was on SA with an AC flight number. Had paid for the correct fare class but could not do a *A upgrade b/c of the code share.
--
13F
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
This will certainly advantage US-based Altitude members, as the non-SE rates are cheap in USD. The $20k for SE is ~ $14k USD at current rates, which is steeper than UA, but by $2k. That 014 requirement sucks, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.