Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Old Nov 23, 15, 1:24 pm

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
Asia P fares, 7 trips
$20,000/7=$2875 per round trip.

May I ask where you book your trips please? I would be eternally grateful.
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:24 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ View Post
LHR-JNB is available as an AC codeshare, so as long as you book it as such, should earn AQD, no?
I think that is an interesting question.

Does it have to be AC flight number or AC metal.
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:25 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Wow, that's worse than expected.

$20k minimum spend for SE status?!?

Guess that'll be my last year of SE status.
Those mirror my thoughts; no way I can justify supplementing my business flights with personal trips to reach SE100K with that minimal spend, as I did this year.

Programs: AC SE100K, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite
I thought the $20k might be a typo for $12K as UA spend requirements match dollar for dollar until you look at SE100K => UA = $12K, AC = $20K?

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
$20,000/7=$2875 per round trip.

May I ask where you book your trips please? I would be eternally grateful.
typo
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:26 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
This is a bit much, so those UA flights I take won't earn me anything towards status essentially. Sure I'll get AQM/AQS, but 20,000$ per year all on one airline/website, won't happen for me. Even with all my flex tickets from work, they're only like 650-800 return, I won't have 30 round trips. I've got a couple AC purchased flights for 2016 already and they won't add up to much either.

LMU won't earn AQD, but eUP co-pay will? So you're making it even harder to hit that 20k since SE100 doesn't pay co-pays. For those people who travel on passes this will be easy still. Our YMM-YYT passes are $750 each way roughly. That's only 13 round trips, but living in YVR I doubt I'll get even close.

At least eMCO counts, so if you can get some sweet VDBs that makes it a bit easier.

They're also doing it regardless of residency.

THIS is the big FU to lower spending super elites we've been "waiting for".

Having top tier status was fun while it lasted. I'll easily hit 50k. I might hit 75k...but now it makes no sense for me to put my leisure spend on anything other than the cheapest. Currently when I wanna go YVR-MDE, unless the cheapest is a HUGE difference, I keep it to AC/UA/AV/CM. No point in doing that anymore, cuz even if I do stick to these flights buying them on AC.com is often more expensive and offers less flight options.

Can anyone answer me this though...using ITA and that scrapper add-on thing so I can force it to purchase on AC.com, will those count as 014 stock? Or would those be 014 only for the AC flights?
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by HometoYYZ View Post
LHR-JNB is available as an AC codeshare, so as long as you book it as such, should earn AQD, no?

My January YYZ-CDG-IST-JNB-IST-YYZ is outta luck except for YYZ-CDG and IST-YYZ, though.... while it's all on an 014 ticket, the TK flights aren't AC codeshares, I don't believe. Certainly weren't booked as such. That's somewhat disappointing.
The TK flights will still earn AQM/AQS, right?

Programs: Free Agent
Publishing the stick before revealing the carrot... pretty confident folks in AC HQ.

Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by krayZpaving View Post
Bracketing in the description isn't particularly clear.
What they mean is (AQM or AQS) and (AQD). But if could be read as (AQM) or (AQS and AQD).

Overall, won't change anything for most business travellers I guess.
Yep, great observation. My first impression was that they should've used a different colour scheme to show that the AQD is a requirement regardless of whether it's paired with AQM or AQS.

#1 reason why I am happy for this change: We finally have a clear signal from AC that says: "If you aren't spending X, you are not a premium client, so calm down".

Remember everyone. Just because you are not an SE does not mean you are an inferior person.

We are all equally nice, and we should all love each other. We just, are not the customers we thought we were.
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM AC E75
I think that is an interesting question.

Does it have to be AC flight number or AC metal.
One of the ways listed to earn AQDs is:

Codeshare flights marketed by Air Canada and operated by Star AllianceTM partner airlines ticketed on Air Canada ticket stock (ticket numbers beginning with 014).

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Highly arrogant of AC to introduce this without telling us what the 2017 status perks are.

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by AC888 View Post
No mention of any implications of residency?

For UA, the PQD requirement only applies for US residents.

For AC, under the old regime, the AC segment requirement was halved for non-Canadian residents.

Any idea whether accommodations will be made in this case? If not, it's definitely UA for me next year.
They explicitly say the requirements apply regardless of residency.

Q.
Will I earn Air Canada AltitudeTM status if I reach the AQD requirement, but not the AQM or AQS; or if I reach the AQM or AQS requirement, but not the AQD?

A.
No. In order to reach any Altitude status, you must earn the required number of AQM or AQS and AQD.
For instance:

If you earn 125,000 AQM and $25,000 AQD, you will reach Super EliteTM 100K status.
If you earn 52,000 AQM and $4,500 AQD, you will reach EliteTM 35K status.
If you earn 34 AQS and $5,000 AQD, you will reach PrestigeTM 25K status.

The AQD requirement also applies to all members, regardless of residency.

typo
You just broke my heart. I will never forgive you.

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager View Post
Looks like they were looking for a way to reduce the number of SE100K and they found it. 20k$ is a lot for Y flyers...
They did it. Great, but they're also gonna lose money. I won't chase an AC flight anymore if AA is cheaper, which it often is. I guess they figure that the benefit is greater, since they earn no money on a UA fare but they give benefits away for those people.

Personally I was fine with the metal requirement, both in practice and for myself. But the jump from $9k to $20k is a bit ridiculous imo.

Originally Posted by Sean Peever View Post
If they are going to demand $20,000 spend for 100K they better tell us what the 100K program will include for 2017 before as well..........
Well put. Those "more details to follow" is basically them saying but give us all your money now .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: