Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by The Lev
Either way you do get the 2 AQS for YYZ-FRA-BCN.
except if the FRA-BCN fare class do not earn any miles...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
So, here it goes... There are different levels of crazies... and AC has been testing these levels among us with the new AQD requirements.

I'm currently at 57,899 AQM, 13 AQS and 10,513.30 AQD (I've *never* qualified through AQS)

What I've learned this year, from personal experience and your recent postings : IMO, the new AQD requirements will weed out people who went for a superior status late in the year by doing a MR, but didn't spend enough (in AC's opinion) to deserve that superior status.

From my current numbers, achieving 75K would be easy. AQD: already done. AQM, well, three months to cumulate 17,101 AQM = doable. Especially since I've already booked a YUL - YYZ - NRT RT trip for October.

Achieving SE100K, much harder...

Who would want to spend 9,500$ to get the missing 42,101 AQM? Even reducing these amounts through a few more business trips... (in my case, taking into account that NRT trip)

It's September 20, and I will qualify once more as SE100K for 2017 by mid-December 2016, even with my current low numbers.

Yes, the end of the year will be crazy and yes there will be some MR but, I confess, also some DR.

Next year, with the experience, I'll aim to get to SE100K by reaching 100K AQMs early, then going way above to reach the 20K AQDs, reducing my cpm.

Unless they lock me up somewhere with white padded walls and mushy food...
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:22 am

I am mainly flying on Flex flight pass and will miss SE100k because of the AQD so it does not only concern cheap tango MR flyers...
If one have time the best idea would be to "buy" AQD during EYW, at least you get a decent bunch of miles to use once you have SE status.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AP 1992- , AC SE1MM, NEXUS, GE, TD Visa Infinite Privilege, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
it does not only concern cheap tango MR flyers...
I didn't want to imply that. Only in the "bridge the gap" phase, did I mean it could play a role...

OK, and I looked in the glossary, what's EYW?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
I didn't want to imply that. Only in the "bridge the gap" phase, did I mean it could play a role...

OK, and I looked in the glossary, what's EYW?
earn your wings
Old Sep 22, 2016, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I wonder what the Fairmont fast-track to Platinum code will be for Air Canada 100K 2017 elites
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by LeisureMiler
So, here it goes... There are different levels of crazies... and AC has been testing these levels among us with the new AQD requirements.

I'm currently at 57,899 AQM, 13 AQS and 10,513.30 AQD (I've *never* qualified through AQS)

What I've learned this year, from personal experience and your recent postings : IMO, the new AQD requirements will weed out people who went for a superior status late in the year by doing a MR, but didn't spend enough (in AC's opinion) to deserve that superior status.

From my current numbers, achieving 75K would be easy. AQD: already done. AQM, well, three months to cumulate 17,101 AQM = doable. Especially since I've already booked a YUL - YYZ - NRT RT trip for October.

Achieving SE100K, much harder...

Who would want to spend 9,500$ to get the missing 42,101 AQM? Even reducing these amounts through a few more business trips... (in my case, taking into account that NRT trip)

It's September 20, and I will qualify once more as SE100K for 2017 by mid-December 2016, even with my current low numbers.

Yes, the end of the year will be crazy and yes there will be some MR but, I confess, also some DR.

Next year, with the experience, I'll aim to get to SE100K by reaching 100K AQMs early, then going way above to reach the 20K AQDs, reducing my cpm.

Unless they lock me up somewhere with white padded walls and mushy food...
That's pretty much right indeed. Consider a more extreme case - mine. I'm outside Canada this year so I'm subject to lower requalification requirements. But even then ... I'm at 86K AQM and $2.5K AQD (!). I could finish the year with no AC spend at all, and I suppose they don't want that. So I'm literally going to book something idiotic like NRT-YYZ-AMS and back to get my missing 7.5K in a single trip. Sigh.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
That's pretty much right indeed. Consider a more extreme case - mine. I'm outside Canada this year so I'm subject to lower requalification requirements. But even then ... I'm at 86K AQM and $2.5K AQD (!). I could finish the year with no AC spend at all, and I suppose they don't want that. So I'm literally going to book something idiotic like NRT-YYZ-AMS and back to get my missing 7.5K in a single trip. Sigh.
But wouldn't you agree that this makes complete sense for AC?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by capedreamer
But wouldn't you agree that this makes complete sense for AC?
Oh for sure - the golden days of freeriding programs are dead. I don't have to like it, but I guess I don't have much of a choice to accept it.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
oops: whoa what happened there--thread transference
Old Sep 24, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
It looks like I will end up around 98,000 miles and $9000 AQD.
In any year past, I would do a MR for the 2000 miles, this year obviously not.
So AC is missing out on some incremental revenue in my case.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
But they're probably saving much more in the way of incremental expenses by not having to provide you with SE benefits through 2017. I know in my case, the YQ savings alone are worth way more than $1,000.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I wonder if AC will raise the SE AQD requirement to $30K.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I wonder if AC will raise the SE AQD requirement to $30K.
Only if the SE numbers don't drop into AC range.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Reading your flight counts, why are you even collecting Points on AC program?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.