Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Air Canada Altitude 2016 program for 2017 status

Old Sep 2, 16, 10:07 am
  #1501  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,433
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
The 50K benefit I really value is free Preferred on Flex. For those of us who really find it important, that's worth $500-1000 on a dozen transcons.
Same here. When I try to book for my wife (E35k) on her solo flights, it's a bit of downer that she doesn't get free preferred seats on flex.
Diabeetus is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 10:32 am
  #1502  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Posts: 5,421
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
The 50K benefit I really value is free Preferred on Flex. For those of us who really find it important, that's worth $500-1000 on a dozen transcons.
Originally Posted by Diabeetus View Post
Same here. When I try to book for my wife (E35k) on her solo flights, it's a bit of downer that she doesn't get free preferred seats on flex.
Thanks gents. I (mistakingly) thought E35 also had the free preferred seats ^
ffsim is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 10:58 am
  #1503  
formerly yvrgary
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC 75K, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 3,032
Originally Posted by ffsim View Post
Thanks gents. I (mistakingly) thought E35 also had the free preferred seats ^
35 gets 50% off Preferred on Flex, which is certainly better than a poke in the eye.

...one benefit they could certainly offer to Altitude members without breaking the bank is to start charging Preferred seat fees on the eUp model; that is, YVR-YYZ-YOW for the same cost as YVR-YOW.
YOWgary is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 11:42 am
  #1504  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Posts: 1,724
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
The 50K benefit I really value is free Preferred on Flex. For those of us who really find it important, that's worth $500-1000 on a dozen transcons.
Lately this has not been the case on the YYZ-YVR run. On a round trip, Flex typically equals Tango + Preferred Seat Fees + $200 give or take. If you don't care about AQM, Tango is the way to go.
Mauricio23 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 12:07 pm
  #1505  
formerly yvrgary
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC 75K, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 3,032
Originally Posted by Mauricio23 View Post
Lately this has not been the case on the YYZ-YVR run. On a round trip, Flex typically equals Tango + Preferred Seat Fees + $200 give or take. If you don't care about AQM, Tango is the way to go.
Unless you're the kind of person who lives on flight passes for last-minute bookings, in which case it's great.
YOWgary is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 12:34 pm
  #1506  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,683
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
Unless you're the kind of person who lives on flight passes for last-minute bookings, in which case it's great.
If its a flex flight pass, does that go higher in the eupg list than regular flex ?
vernonc is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 12:41 pm
  #1507  
formerly yvrgary
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC 75K, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 3,032
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
If its a flex flight pass, does that go higher in the eupg list than regular flex ?
I don't believe it affects eUp priority, but as mine books into high Flex, I've been upgrading tcons on 4 credits on an 8-day window...
YOWgary is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 1:47 pm
  #1508  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,780
Originally Posted by vernonc View Post
If its a flex flight pass, does that go higher in the eupg list than regular flex ?
Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
I don't believe it affects eUp priority, but as mine books into high Flex, I've been upgrading tcons on 4 credits on an 8-day window...
eUpgrade priority is status, then fare class, so if it's booking into M, then it definitely helps. But an E75K in G will still be above you.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 1:54 pm
  #1509  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 2,433
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
eUpgrade priority is status, then fare class, so if it's booking into M, then it definitely helps. But an E75K in G will still be above you.
Don't forget cabin. Those non-status nominees/travel companions in premium ecomony are above you too.
Diabeetus is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 2:12 pm
  #1510  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
Posts: 3,683
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
eUpgrade priority is status, then fare class, so if it's booking into M, then it definitely helps. But an E75K in G will still be above you.
Ok so sounds like flight pass books into M. So with E75 and flight pass (M being high flex) should be high on the upg list with only SE/latitude above if no PE cabin. Mostly asking for YYZ-SFO and YYZ-YVR
vernonc is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 2:59 pm
  #1511  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,780
Originally Posted by Diabeetus View Post
Don't forget cabin. Those non-status nominees/travel companions in premium ecomony are above you too.
There are only two cabins on the route in question.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 3:28 pm
  #1512  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Posts: 1,127
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
If you wait for sales, you can pretty easily fly P fares for 10cpm all in.

The resident AQD requirements are 12cpm for lower tiers and 20cpm for SE.

That being said, it's clearly why they added a minimum.
In the case, it appears my business to AC isn't being recognized fully. I am frustrated. I am over $6800 AQD - well over the threshold for Elite 50K, but only 39 segments which puts me just over E35K. Until very recently, I never even got any recognition for all the AQD spent.

When I took AQD / AQM, it comes out at 40 cpm.

My travel pattern is domestic short haul flight in Flex which are very expensive in terms of CPM.

If AQD spent is what they care about, why make it a double qualification by adding in AQS or AQM?
Sunny Day is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 3:46 pm
  #1513  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YUL
Programs: AC*E50 (*A Gold), Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum, NEXUS, Global Entry
Posts: 5,421
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
In the case, it appears my business to AC isn't being recognized fully. I am frustrated. I am over $6800 AQD - well over the threshold for Elite 50K, but only 39 segments which puts me just over E35K. Until very recently, I never even got any recognition for all the AQD spent.

When I took AQD / AQM, it comes out at 40 cpm.

My travel pattern is domestic short haul flight in Flex which are very expensive in terms of CPM.

If AQD spent is what they care about, why make it a double qualification by adding in AQS or AQM?
They don't care about AQD except as a further metric to qualify in addition to AQM or ADQ. Remember, AQD replaces the Air Canada metal requirement.

AC doesn't want customers to become SE by spending $20,000 on only 4 YYZ-YVR roundtrips in Z. Do you?
ffsim is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 3:52 pm
  #1514  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, Accor Plat, Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 31,780
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
In the case, it appears my business to AC isn't being recognized fully. I am frustrated. I am over $6800 AQD - well over the threshold for Elite 50K, but only 39 segments which puts me just over E35K. Until very recently, I never even got any recognition for all the AQD spent.

When I took AQD / AQM, it comes out at 40 cpm.

My travel pattern is domestic short haul flight in Flex which are very expensive in terms of CPM.

If AQD spent is what they care about, why make it a double qualification by adding in AQS or AQM?
Because you're not a frequent flyer.

They still "want" the AQM/AQS, but they needed to set a "you simply do not give us enough money to warrant any benefits" threshold, which is where AQD comes into play.

To elaborate on what ffsim said, if you're the type of person who buys last minute full fare J YYZ-HKG because "oh crap I need to go right now and AC is the next option", then you might hit 20k AQD right there. But granting you status isn't going to encourage future business, and it certainly isn't recognizing loyalty.
canadiancow is offline  
Old Sep 2, 16, 4:28 pm
  #1515  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Posts: 1,127
What to choose?

Looking for some input on what to choose from early recognition E35K bundles. My work travel is short haul domestic, Q400, under 2 hours, flex fare, no business class to upgrade to, family holiday once a year on international flight on lowest fare we can find, a visit to Hawaii once a year. What makes sense for me? Will I get to choose again if I cross over to E50K later on in September? I may even cross E75K by Dec 31 this year.

Selection Bundle 1 - choose 1

35% Altitude Bonus with Air Canada and select airline partners
5 eUpgrade Credits
50% Discount on Maple Leaf Club membership

Selection Bundle 2 - choose 2

5 eUpgrade Credits
3 Maple Leaf Lounge One-Time Guest Passes
aircanada.com Travel Options

From Selection Bundle 3 - choose 1

6 eUpgrade Credits for eligible Flight Pass activities
1,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles for eligible Flight Pass activities
Sunny Day is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: