Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan not showing Air China award space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan not showing Air China award space

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
Talked with what sounded like a very competent AP rep this evening about changing my YVR-YYZ-IST-FRU award to YVR-PEK-ULN-FRU. She was knowledgeable enough to actually start suggesting alternatives to FRU such as YVR-FRA-ALA then ground transport to FRU, or YVR-FRA-TSE with a side trip on KC (which she explicitly stated that AP wouldn't pay but my insurer may ) (we all should know that insurers rarely pay out on war, insurrection, or civil disturbance).

She claimed that she had been specifically informed that AP and AP alone had made the decision to stop allowing ticket issuance for itins containing CA; specifically because pax on AP award tix were getting stranded at the CA check-in counter. Until AP and CA could work out the issues, no CA tix.

She also claimed it was the same reason that CM and O6 were not available for a time.

So does the blame with AP or CA? Seems more of a AP issue because I don't think anyone else in *A is having these kinds of issues.

Not sure if I believe anything at all anymore.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by GJS - yow
Sooo... I had booked four miniRTW tickets last October, each of which had two Air China segments. Out of the eight flight segments, all were in business except one. I was told at the time to call in every couple of months and surely the segment could be changed from economy to business. As all of you have experienced, nothing could be further from the truth. Until yesterday.

I finally got through to a magical (mystical?) Aeroplan agent who heard what I said, and took note of it. I pointed out that I had just spoken to Air China and there were 6 seats available for Star Alliance partner redemptions in business (mostly true - the Air China agent confirmed there was more than one). I had used ExpertFlyer to find that there were six business award seats available on the flight in question, and confirmed this with a dummy booking on United.ca.

The Aeroplan agent said "given that, let me try something else." She did what she called a "direct booking" for that segment, and was able to grab the business seat. She needed to reissue the whole miniRTW ticket, which resulted in a small refund due to changes in currency rates (thanks to Brexit).

She told me that if I ever had trouble booking a specific flight again, where I knew there was availability, simply ask an Aeroplan agent to direct book the flight. I think this might have to be done segment by segment - not sure about that.

Anyway, all are now in business for the entire miniRTW, including all Air China segments.
Thanks for this story. Gives me hope. I'll start calling AC this week. Wish me luck.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Just on hold for 90 min with AP trying to booking a flight from RGN to CTU on CA. The agent sounded knowledgeable and was adamant that the issue was still not resolved and she cannot book any tickets involving CA segments - similar problem with AV.

So far, it seems the availability on the flight i want is wide open...I guess I will wait. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by ericw; Aug 8, 2016 at 8:57 pm Reason: CA instead of AC:)
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ericw
Just on hold for 90 min with AP trying to booking a flight from RGN to CTU on AC. The agent sounded knowledgeable and was adamant that the issue was still not resolved and she cannot book any tickets involving AC segments - similar problem with AV.

So far, it seems the availability on the flight i want is wide open...I guess I will wait. Figures crossed.
Probably you mean CA given the context of the thread.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors, Le Club Accor Platinum
Almost 9 months and no fix yet. Unbelievable.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
CA is still mad at AC for taking there IATA code
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:27 pm

Is CA still eligible for Y-class points upgrade to F (Chinese airlines don't seem to have J)? I want to do a trek out of LHW for Mid-Autumn festival and work it around my teaching.

Option 1 is points there and back on Shenzhen air on points WUX-XIY-LHW (40k for Y, but 110k for 'first'!!!). Unfortunately, it looks like it won't get me back in time for work since I can't book my return before 7pm Sunday.

Option 2 is China Airlines out of PVG direct (or at least on the return leg). Apparently I can't book CA with points. At the moment I can only book full Y (it is a holiday, I guess). The timing is terrible, but can I at least use points to upgrade?

Thanks

Dr. PITUK
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:13 am

Is it too good to be true?

I had given up hope on seeing space on CA for a 2017 trip to Australia from YUL but I just saw just a few minutes ago on the AE website a rare sighting!! Yes, one of the options available was YUL-PEK-SYD on CA on July 31st 2017.

Even if the option does not suit me (a mix of F and Y is offered), I just had to post this before it disappears again
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Yul67
I had given up hope on seeing space on CA for a 2017 trip to Australia from YUL but I just saw just a few minutes ago on the AE website a rare sighting!! Yes, one of the options available was YUL-PEK-SYD on CA on July 31st 2017.

Even if the option does not suit me (a mix of F and Y is offered), I just had to post this before it disappears again
holy, it's true

Last 2 months I didn't see any CA space, now I see some (J & Y) for TPE-PEK or KIX-PEK for Aug-Sep 2017
Not a lot though
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
I saw some Air China space in Y for Nov 2016 this morning. Sample search returned options like this one:

Not that I'd recommend chancing booking it, mind you. Too many horror stories of the booking mysteriously being cancelled day-of travel.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
I can see the tickets now too, thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by segacs
Not that I'd recommend chancing booking it, mind you. Too many horror stories of the booking mysteriously being cancelled day-of travel.
I would assume (or at least hope) that if Aeroplan is allowing the bookings again, that they've resolved the issue that caused them to block them in the first place.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
This is going to make my RTW next year SO MUCH more easier going from EU to China
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I was able to book CA tickets on my latest mini-rtw taken this past July. It was booked right around the time this thread was created late last year.

Specifically:
CMB-MAA AI J
MAA-BKK TG J
BKK-TSN CA J
TSN-TSA CA J

The experience wasn't as horrible as I had read on FT or elsewhere; the food was reasonably good, but on the 738s, there wasn't any IFE that I can recall. I even received an amenity kit on the BKK-TSN segment (and there was only one other person in J).

There were no problems with ticketing, no missing seats, and I was able to phone in and select my seats months ahead. Wouldn't mind trying CA F from say, FRA-PEK, or LHR-PEK (777), or even on the 748 on whichever routes they fly.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I would assume (or at least hope) that if Aeroplan is allowing the bookings again, that they've resolved the issue that caused them to block them in the first place.
When it comes to Aeroplan, I find it generally better to never make such assumptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.